Topic:   Avisaria   (Read 25784 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: Avisaria
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2008, 03:33:07 PM »
actually reprogramming from scratch is common, as long as your reprogramming from a different approche, thats how i come up with my best work, something gets so buggy i have to think of a better way to do it then i start over. i do this alot with my multiple enemy battle system, its getting there

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2008, 04:03:20 PM »
actually reprogramming from scratch is common, as long as your reprogramming from a different approche, thats how i come up with my best work, something gets so buggy i have to think of a better way to do it then i start over. i do this alot with my multiple enemy battle system, its getting there
Actually, I can assure you that reprogramming from scratch is very rare. You will almost never see an experienced programmer or computer scientist work on something for countless hours and then just start rewriting again from scratch.

If you're constantly restarting from scratch, I suggest you work to develop a few skills:

1. Organize/comment your code effectively.
2. Make backups of your code when it works, so you can return to an older working version if the changes you make broke it. A common tool used for this is called subversion. (Note: I can setup subversion on your GMG Hosting account if you want it)
3. Learn debugging techniques. For basic programs, you can usually debug by just using "print" statements to see if the variables are what they should be, and if the code is doing the right thing. For more advanced programs, using a debugger to step through your program, set breakpoints, etc. is very helpful.
4. Spend at least an hour thinking about how you're going to structure your program. This includes thoughts on how to make the battle engine, inventory system, and navigation system.

Ghost
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:04:53 PM by admin »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
When I get bugs in programs made with SC I go through the code and make it so when ever a new stage in the code is reached a new variable is declared as name of that stage (I always name my code with comments). That way I can figure out what sections of code have been executed correctly (by looking at the variable list that SC displays when you run a game). That really helps me, as SC doesn't have a debugger and it's error messages are not always accurate.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »
That's actually quite genius Hampster! :D
I survived the spammage of 2007

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »
LOL

I have to reprogram DQ from scratch...

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2008, 08:33:50 AM »
Actually, I can assure you that reprogramming from scratch is very rare. You will almost never see an experienced programmer or computer scientist work on something for countless hours and then just start rewriting again from scratch.

Ghost

listen, i didnt mean just start from scratch for no reason, its only neccisary if you come up with a simpler, easier, more efficent way, and theres nothing from the original you can use. all im saying is dont keep wasting your time bug fixing messy code, try to come up with a better way.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:40:10 AM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2008, 08:40:19 AM »
believe me, a battle system with multiple enemies is much more complicated than designing websites,
LOL! No it's not Eq. ;) Website design is like Quark Express. Nobody likes it, it's hard. The web design Ghost does is like Quark without the tools. It's really hard!

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2008, 09:08:17 AM »
LOL! No it's not Eq. ;) Website design is like Quark Express. Nobody likes it, it's hard. The web design Ghost does is like Quark without the tools. It's really hard!
It isn't actually that hard to make websites...
I am rewriting the redrasor website soon (If everything goes according to plan)

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2008, 09:38:52 AM »
listen, i didnt mean just start from scratch for no reason, its only neccisary if you come up with a simpler, easier, more efficent way, and theres nothing from the original you can use. all im saying is dont keep wasting your time bug fixing messy code, try to come up with a better way.
Thats true, sometimes its easier and better to start from scratch. If I had just copied the Darksville Battle Engine over to Rokeno I never would of gotten each monster with individual Hitpoints and get a shorter faster code.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:39:13 AM by Tireas_Dragon »
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »

Umm...
I did that... although I did it very reluctantly... and it's taking WAY longer than I thought it would to get something workable finished.

Sometimes if you have big, old, buggy, clunky, patched up code it can make sense to totally start over and maybe take a few good pieces from the old code and move it over to the new code.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2008, 12:38:21 PM »
It isn't actually that hard to make websites...
I am rewriting the redrasor website soon (If everything goes according to plan)

Mist
Hmmm... well, I guess I should be more specific. Like anything the complexity involved varies according to the scale your working on, but even a basic site built with HTML such as Roguesoft's requires more tedium than battle engines in GM do. That's just my opinion, but I know my GM battle engines sir! ;)

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »
Sometimes if you have big, old, buggy, clunky, patched up code it can make sense to totally start over and maybe take a few good pieces from the old code and move it over to the new code.

Like I said-- sometimes it does make sense. I'm rewriting my game engine because the structure was flawed to begin with. If you have to rewrite, salvage as much of your old code as possible-- don't reprogram from scratch. However,  rewriting code should only be done as a last resort. Before rewriting, you should try to clean up and debug as much as you can before making the decision.

This is why I took issue with Eq saying that "actually reprogramming from scratch is common." It isn't common-- seasoned programmers try their hardest not to rewrite their code. Very rarely will you see software projects rewritten from scratch, and the larger the project, the less likely is is that it'll be rewritten. Like Al said-- he did it very reluctantly.

On to another note: basic web design is very simple. Probably easier than coding a battle engine. However, when you're actually designing a website with a full content management system, or a billing system, or any other system really-- it gets much more complicated than a battle engine written in GameMaker. However, I'm not going to try making it sound like it's harder to make a website than Blizzard's battle engines. I don't even want to start thinking what they go through.

Ghost

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
LOL

ya....

It is quite easy to make a website (not a CMS mind you...) if you  know how,
I almost want to see Blizzard's code :)

That would be OSSOM!

Mist (PS I am planning to write a CMS for RR.com from scratch... Wish me luck :))
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2008, 08:10:21 PM »
I almost want to see Blizzard's code :)
Hey they are hiring maybe you can get a job there and see there code AND work on there games. Well most people don't fit all the criteria and I don't think they are hiring very many programmers.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2008, 10:09:28 PM »
Don't think that I am old enough to get the job :P

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&