Topic:   SC comminty non-existent?   (Read 4867 times)

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

SC comminty non-existent?
« on: April 04, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »
except for eq, none of the SC community goes here, even with the SC forums down no one comes here to get help.

Why is this?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:12:05 PM by Gnome_Again »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Charlo

• GMG-er

Re: SC comminty non-existent?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »
except for eq, none of the SC community goes here, even with the SC forums down no one comes here to get help.

Why is this?
Basically because none of them really use SC much.  Have you ever noticed that at the SC forums all the posting happens in the off-topic forum?  :D

That's also why they didn't enter any games into the contest.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 09:32:20 AM »
i know there were a few games being worked on but its rare for anyone to actually complete something, and most of snet has the "my skills are to advanced for SC" syndrome, yet theyve never produced anything. i helped gandolf a while back, he was making a game in sc,  did he ever become a member here? he just disapeared, his game was pretty good but he was adding to man complicated features for a first game, heres the last version i had http://www.savefile.com/files/1485776

he shouldve submitted it just for the hell of it
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 09:33:26 AM by EqwanoX »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »
Yeah, the GameMaker community definitely seems much more active then the SilverCreator community-- but hey, that means more money for you.

Ghost

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »
maybe theyre voting

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 03:44:38 PM »
Looks good so far. Shame Gan dropped it. Yeah, GM games don't often get finished either. That's why I really wanna get QoM and MF finished before I continue work on other projects.

most of snet has the "my skills are to advanced for SC" syndrome, yet theyve never produced anything.
It's such a pity people consider card based engines outdated and useless, as all the talk of how they're not able to handle advanced game features is pure nonsense. You just have to work hard at it. People who say card based engines aren't up to scratch are looking for computers to do the work for them, using the pros of object orientated engines. Hopefully QoM will be a good example to new GMers of what can be done with GM.
I survived the spammage of 2007

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »
I don't think that people find it outdated as much as limiting. There are just some things that GM and SC can't handle, like for/while loops, threading, extensive networking, etc...

I'm working on a true MMPORPG, and I can tell you that it'd be impossible to make in GameMaker. You can make something multiplayer, but not massively so unless you have socket handling, loops, and more.

Perhaps I'll post the base client soon. You can't do anything except walk around so far, but once I get the base down, it's easy to add on features.

- Ghost

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 05:14:38 AM »
I'm certainly not saying WoW could be created without the tools of a bigger engine, but so much more than what people think can be done with GM. All the computer really understands is 0/1, and if Apple can turn that into OSX then people can definitely turn card based engines into advanced games.
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 09:39:05 AM »
I've been working on a game using Silver Creator for a while, and have been subsequently lurking the SC forums for tutorials and code samples. For some reason I could never register, however. I just found out about this site through the GMC contest, so I hope that I'll be able to keep the SC community alive... sort of :P

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »
also sc and gm are alot easier to understand which make them good starting tools and its just easier and faster to make games. people think just cause they know the commands that they can program