Topic:   Space Game Project (No Name Yet)   (Read 15494 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Space Game Project (No Name Yet)
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
[size=16]Space Game Project[/size]
(No Name Yet)
[/color]
Hey, I have started on another game. After the GameMaker Group Project kind of died, I got sort of inspired to make a spacey kind of game. I had hardly any knowledge of GameMaker scripting, and I don't own it, so I have started this game in SilverCreator.

So far I have created the movement engine and a planet you can land on. If anyone has played EV Nova before, you would notice this somewhat resembles it. Though I am very looking forward to making this online when Mistron gets GMOD up and running.

If you have any ideas or comments, please post here.

Here is a link to a Preview of the game:
http://www.mediafire.com/?le0mbesnyjm

If you find bugs or it runs slow on your computer, please give me a detailed explanation of the problem.

Thanks,  ;)

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:46:19 AM by Gandolf »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: Space Game Project (No Name Yet)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:05:04 PM »
Doesn't open says more than 5000 cards

I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »
You should compress prior to uploading-- not only doesn't make the file smaller, it also prevents potential problems opening the game once it's downloaded.

Ghost

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
Thanks, I fixed it.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?le0mbesnyjm

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »
Very Nice. Is the battle engine gonna be similar to EV (escape velocity) I am quite sure that would be terribly difficult to do tho.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 02:20:58 PM »
Yes it will be, thats the next task I will tackle. Shouldn't take too long though. The only real problem I see, is when Mistron gets GMOD working. I will have to re-write most of this.

My To do list for this game:
(1) Add ability to shoot
(2) Real-Time Battle Engine
(3) Add new Ships in InterGalactic iBay + Universal Currency
(4) Add upgrades for speed and weapons
(5) Expandable world, No warps, just traveling through space to get to different planets
(6) Possibly Add NPCs (Might add after game is online)
(7) Integrate GMOD into Game to make online
(8) Add login ability
(9) Add ChatBox (Maybe)
(10) Add Name (Anyone have any idea for a good name?)
(11) Make Special client for Moderators/Admin to kick people or do special things
(12) Update Frequently

Anyone have any ideas for a name? Or anything you want to add to my todo list above?

Thanks,

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 06:17:07 PM by Gandolf »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 02:33:44 PM »
Wow, that's a pretty snazzy nav Gan. I don't have anything to add to your to do list, but it looks like it's gonna be a great game. :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 02:34:06 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 05:49:48 PM »
Thats an epic win of a nav system!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 06:25:31 PM »
 :) A few days before I posted the game here, I had a horribly blocky Nav System, Until Plaza Redd took a look at it. It took me a day to create an ugly, blocky nav, but it took Redd 2 minutes to make it into what it is now. He is a Genius.

Just to keep you guys updated, I have created a buggy firing system. It should be fixed, hopefully tomorrow. Then I will post it.

-Gandolf

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
I have made the firing system, though I can't test it out. Right now I am on a ten year old mac, so I will need your help to get it just right.

Now, what I am focusing on is the currency/buying system. What is a good name for a space currency?

Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?tyfx1eytba2

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:36:48 PM by Gandolf »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 06:34:32 PM »
Interesting idea-- how will you make it online? You can't possibly update every ship's location online constantly, that'd make it incredibly slow... are you going to incorporate online gameplay in another manner?

Ghost

EDIT: Oddly enough, this is the direction my MMORPG engine is going in, but I'm not sure I'm ever going to finish it-- it'll be more of just a concept.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:35:09 PM by admin »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »
Interesting idea-- how will you make it online? You can't possibly update every ship's location online constantly, that'd make it incredibly slow... are you going to incorporate online gameplay in another manner?

I was thinking of making different parts of space in different cards. So it would only load the sector of space you were in. Though, php seems a bit slow, I was thinking of using a JavaScript database or maybe even a client/server that is a seperate application that will download a text file from a server and send a text file up to a server.  So, how are you going to make your MMORPG online?

EDIT: Oddly enough, this is the direction my MMORPG engine is going in, but I'm not sure I'm ever going to finish it-- it'll be more of just a concept.

Ah, your making one too  :). I'm not sure mine will finish either, but as long as I keep going, it will never die. If the worst possible situation comes, I will give this game to the Sc/Gm community to continue.

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:58:18 PM by Gandolf »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 09:16:10 PM »
You should set up a boundary script, or just have the space loop. If you have a location system you could have it so when you go up or down a certain amount it repositions the sprite on the other side.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 03:12:20 AM »

I was thinking of making different parts of space in different cards. So it would only load the sector of space you were in. Though, php seems a bit slow, I was thinking of using a JavaScript database or maybe even a client/server that is a seperate application that will download a text file from a server and send a text file up to a server.  So, how are you going to make your MMORPG online?

Ah, your making one too  :). I'm not sure mine will finish either, but as long as I keep going, it will never die. If the worst possible situation comes, I will give this game to the Sc/Gm community to continue.

-Gandolf

Well, my server is written in Python (which can handle threads), and my client is written in BlitzMax (which compiles to C), so I have much more flexibility. The model is simple, coordinates sent to server, server checks, and then returns if the move was valid.

Ghost

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 06:25:43 AM »
Well, my server is written in Python (which can handle threads), and my client is written in BlitzMax (which compiles to C), so I have much more flexibility. The model is simple, coordinates sent to server, server checks, and then returns if the move was valid.

Ah wow, I doubt my game will be as sophisticated or run as smoothly as yours. Though now you got me interested in python and blitzmax...

You should set up a boundary script, or just have the space loop. If you have a location system you could have it so when you go up or down a certain amount it repositions the sprite on the other side.

I was thinking of just putting a red, laser like line in space that would block the player from going out of it. Though I might do the space loop.

Though right now I will be making the Universal currency and be able to buy new ships. So if anyone has a good, unused name for a currency, please post.

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:27:12 AM by Gandolf »