Topic:   Space Game   (Read 11571 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Space Game
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »
Hey guys, here's the progress topic for my entry of Silver's mini contest.

My progress so far:
- Space movement engine
- Npc engine
- Asteroid engine
- Bullet system
- Docking station system(s)
- Upgrade window
- Mining system
- Completed storyboard successfully implemented into game
- Bug search, find and eliminate/fool proof game engine so far
- Player/space dock able to die

Todo:
- Add costs to upgrades
- Event bar above stat bar
- Optimize npc movement code, take out sqrt
- Add more weapons systems
- Balance all stats/gameplay *IMPORTANT*
- Sound effects
- In game music
- Graphics effects + possibly new ship graphics/gui update
- Possibly game saving
- Figure out a better name besides "Space Game"
- Add logos, credits, better main menu and ending menu. Wrap up nicely.
- Tweak, play, polish, beta test
- Put finished version on site and subscribe to other gaming sites.

So that's what I have so far. Everything is going pretty good and I believe I can have everything on my todo list finished in a week or two. Though I'll need help with graphical effects, sound effects, spacey music, upgraded graphics (I have corney graphics right now), and a better name than "Space Game".

Here is some proof of creation:

I'll post a screencast video once a few more things get tied together and I have an annoying npc targeting bug to fix. Where when the alien is shooting you, the laser doesn't come from the alien ship but a little bit away from the alien ship. Easy fix though.

So, what do you guys think?

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:29:08 PM by Gandolf »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: Space Game
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 02:34:23 PM »
I think it looks like a great game in the making.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
Thanks. :)  Just did a very large optimization that should help me code faster. Getting rid of many bugs.

-Gandolf

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 06:43:07 AM »
WOOOO!
Netbeans!  :D

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:53:03 AM »
Interesting. It look retro, and still futuristic. Can't really explain.

Waiting for the screencast.
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 11:41:53 AM »
Looks awesome Gan, can't wit for the finished game. :)
I survived the spammage of 2007

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »
Impressive-- has an EV Nova vibe to it.

Ghost

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
Sorry guys, it turns out that due to a 5-page book report and a math quiz; I'll probably not get much work done this week.

Impressive-- has an EV Nova vibe to it.
Correct, I was inspired by EV Nova. Many years ago, I would create galaxies and such. I was active, scoured the internet for random details. Installed almost all plugins and read many things the creators wrote. I was hoping for another version, possibly an online one. When he negated that idea, I wished to create something myself. Instead, I discovered Oberin and partook of amazing adventures. Role-play, battles, and best of all: my brothers fought along side me. Of course I was a cleric, it didn't stop us. I stopped playing Oberin many years ago in search of creating something amazing. Something online that may just be popular and blossom my future career. I intend to create what could of been EV Nova, though I'll keep it far from it to not step over copyright infringement or to anger anyone. Now you know the rest, though sorry for such a long response...  I'm prepping myself for this book report I will be starting in 3 minutes.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 08:06:12 AM »
Yeah, I remember reading your Avisaria topic on the Oberin forum way back when I was desperately trying to make an ORPG. I remember thinking "Wow, there's someone with the same aspirations as me, and he's found a way to do it so surely I will too." Then a few months later you joined the MGM forums and I was astonished to discover that you'd been using GM for years yet weren't aware of the forum's existence. It seemed incredible that the very person who's year-old topic on a foreign forum which I'd been studying so avidly for details on web based development just happened to stumble upon the MGM forums... and yet, there you were, able to answer my many questions. Which you did. :) Now I know more than ever what's needed to make an ORPG: Enthusiasm.

Call it luck, fate, destiny or divine intervention; some things are just meant to happen.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own." - Edwin Markham.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
 :D Wow, that's the most extrordinary thing that has ever happened that involved me. I never knew anyone from the Gmg to be part of Oberin, than notice something I posted a long while back. Or have the same disire to do as I do.

Perhaps if you still greatly want to create an Orpg, you could join me in my quest? You could learn all things Java, make your own amazing fantasies not only you but everyone else can indulge upon...

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 07:05:50 PM »
:D Wow, that's the most extrordinary thing that has ever happened that involved me. I never knew anyone from the Gmg to be part of Oberin, than notice something I posted a long while back. Or have the same disire to do as I do.
Don't you remember me telling you all that on the MGM forums when you joined? I asked you questions about Xcode when you told me Oberin was made with it. I didn't understand anything you said to me then so I asked Jinker but he just replied with a winky smily. ;D

Perhaps if you still greatly want to create an Orpg, you could join me in my quest? You could learn all things Java, make your own amazing fantasies not only you but everyone else can indulge upon...
Perhaps one day, but now my lust for an ORPG is in check. I'm too busy trying to wrap up all these GM projects, hehe...

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »
Don't you remember me telling you all that on the MGM forums when you joined? I asked you questions about Xcode when you told me Oberin was made with it. I didn't understand anything you said to me then so I asked Jinker but he just replied with a winky smily.
I have a bad memory. :P

Perhaps one day, but now my lust for an ORPG is in check. I'm too busy trying to wrap up all these GM projects, hehe...
:) Ok. When your desire goes out of control, you know where to find me.

By the way, I just have a small quiz tomorrow, than I am free. I'm going to work very hard on getting things finished and wrapped up. I'll post a screencast sometime this weekend possibly even with the beta version of the game itself.

-Gandolf

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »
Here's a screencast:
- The game runs very smooth on most machines. The reason it looks so jumpy is because of the screencast.
http://web.mac.com/avisaria/spacegamepreview.swf

Just a few more things need added than it is ready for beta testing!

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »
I wonder what's going to happen that next guy look like a big ship. maybe a boss?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 07:12:35 AM »
Indeed. If you actually play the game and get to that level, the boss will probably frighten you a little. Even though it is a really corny sprite.

-Gandolf
P.S. News update:
*Space Game II is in the planning stage. We currently have a team of 3 people who will work on it, Myself - Programmer, Isen - Programmer, and Satyricon - Game Play Wizard. It will be online and have many different systems. Actual engine programing will commence in approximately 2 weeks. Space Game 1 should be finished by then.*