Topic:   [GM] V6 Grid Navigation   (Read 42804 times)

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: [GM] V6 Grid Navigation
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
noone here uses anything below an intel... accept you and your g3. and i actually use my g5 for most of my work while i use my intel for internet

I still use a Dual 1.8 GHz G5 at home, and a 1.42 GHz G4 eMac at the office. I also test on an old iBook 900 MHz G3. It was the poor performance of "Pleasant Dreams" on that G3 that motivated me to improve the engine.

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 06:48:01 PM »
i love bashing gm, gm is so much slower than sc, the rougesoft rpg engine is so laggy and yet it uses v6!
OTOH, GM requires OS 10.1 (and one or two years ago, it still ran on OS 8.6 or later), while SC requires OS 10.3...

You are all losers! Program in assembly and you'll never have to worry about performance again!
:) Next best thing : C

Straight C code running on your 400 MHz G3 likely outperforms GM scripting running on a 2.7 GHz G5. The tradeoff is that a GM game is much easier to program.

SC is faster, but still nowhere near compiled code.
I hear SC uses bytecode. Maybe one day you could make a JIT compiler for it (like Java has) ;D !

its so simple you should be able to make it yourself
Remember that I made the first ever GM game to have keyboard controls ! (in 2005)
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 07:45:59 PM »
We all gotta keep in mind that GM was, at inception, not intended for "real" RPGs or anything of that sort.  Sprites were introduced late and as somewhat of an afterthought.  It's fast enough until you start trying to cram in as many features as possible.  :D

I, for one, am very impressed with how far Silverwind is pushing the boundaries of GM.  

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »
I, for one, am very impressed with how far Silverwind is pushing the boundaries of GM.  
agreed, i still find the inventory system impressive even for sc standards, i wouldnt believe that was possible in gm if i didnt see it with my own eyes. i bet if he ported it to sc he could cut out 80% of code

OTOH, GM requires OS 10.1 (and one or two years ago, it still ran on OS 8.6 or later), while SC requires OS 10.3...
can you stop complaining about how lame your computer is? upgrade already! i cant even understand how its possible to obtain a computer with 10.2, everything on craigslist is 10.3 and up, even g3s

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »
Yes. It is meant for card-based games, though I guess people don't want to make card-based adventure games...

I think Silverwind's "Gridz" is a good game. It's one of the new-style GM games that works right on my old 400MHz/OS 10.2.8 machine (others, such as Silverwind's Pong game, don't) ....

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 09:00:07 PM »
agreed, i still find the inventory system impressive even for sc standards, i wouldnt believe that was possible in gm if i didnt see it with my own eyes. i bet if he ported it to sc he could cut out 80% of code

can you stop complaining about how lame your computer is? upgrade already! i cant even understand how its possible to obtain a computer with 10.2, everything on craigslist is 10.3 and up, even g3s

All right. I'll stop troubling you with my old systems talk.
Note that with Windows, frequent paid updates of the Mac OS X sort aren't necessary (many major new software programs support WinXP, which of course was released in 2001)

(Just food for thought. I find all these upgrades annoying)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:08:14 PM by GabrielCA »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 10:06:55 PM »
GabrielCA - I could sell you some upgrades for your Mac for very reasonable prices... I have some G4 chips that would drop right in, 400 MHz and 450 MHz, and extra memory. With the G4 and enough memory, you could even run Leopard.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »

All right. I'll stop troubling you with my old systems talk.
Note that with Windows, frequent paid updates of the Mac OS X sort aren't necessary (many major new software programs support WinXP, which of course was released in 2001)

(Just food for thought. I find all these upgrades annoying)

Most programs support Tiger, which came out in 2004. Unfortunately, some assholés are now creating Intel only programs when there is no good reason to do so - unless you're using some kind of Snow Leopard-only feature extensively. If you are just using Leopard features, there's no reason not to build Universal (except for very limited circumstances that I understand, such as VMWare, or a Windows port of a program with lots of x86 assembly, or something like Steam where the games heavily rely on x86).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:10:13 PM by Mike_Richardson »

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 05:21:22 AM »
Yeah.
I like when people think like this :
The easiest and perhaps strictest interpretation of backward/forward compatibility would be to write a strictly Carbon C or C++ program, adhering only to the "CarbonLib 1.6" specification and not using any exclusive OS 9 or OS X features. This program, compiled as CFM PPC would technically run on anything from a Power Macintosh 6100 (1994) to a brand new Mac Pro with Snow Leopard and Rosetta (2010), using only a single binary.
Instead of like this :
once again, will you ever be making a version that works on 10.4.11?
Probably not. If I want to program for 10.4, I'll need to digress back to Obj-C version 1.0.

-Gan

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 05:24:36 AM »
I'm impressed by the stuff I'm doing in GM too, that's why I'm still doing it Eq. ;D Once I feel that I've accomplished the greatest RPG GM can support I'll look into other platforms, but I'd literally die if all my hard work on the RSRPGE was for nothing.

EDIT:

Also, could you guys post a Jing cast of the Roguesoft RPG Engine running on your computers? I'd like to see how laggy it is, as it's fairly ok on my MacBook with only 2GB of ram.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:28:25 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:39 AM »
 if you hold down a directional button you can see the delay for the enemies moving. i think you should drop  the smooth movement and that would make it less frustrating, i know its supposed to give the game a polished feel but it ends up doing more harm than good. can you put in shops next? theres nothing to spend my money on

you should just paste all the code into sc and go from there, sc by itself would give you a good speed increase. the leap to sc from gm (or even 1.5) is like giveing a 19th century carpenter power tools
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:37:52 AM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »
I wish to see! Ikura de mo haraimasu!

Also, oddly enough, creativity dwindles with freedom yet flurishes with restrictions. With all the super awesomeness of SC how come you're the only one producing stuff in it?
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 03:29:02 PM »
Also, oddly enough, creativity dwindles with freedom yet flurishes with restrictions.
That's so true.

-Gan

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
Silver - to be fair, you're the only person currently working with GM.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2010, 05:57:41 PM »
I've got projects going in both SC and GM, and I'm making progress on all of them, but I don't like to announce my games prematurely (if every game that got announced actually got released, we would have a lot of games to play).   ;)