Topic:   Your Hope for the Future (In terms of programming)   (Read 7937 times)

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
Re: Your Hope for the Future (In terms of programm
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 08:11:41 AM »

Where I live having an iPhone basically determines how cool you are.

Only until too many people have it. Then it's no longer cool. It's just normal. Then the next hot new thing comes out and you start all over trying to get it and be cool again.... until everyone has one and the next new thing comes out, etc etc.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 12:23:02 PM »
Only until too many people have it. Then it's no longer cool. It's just normal. Then the next hot new thing comes out and you start all over trying to get it and be cool again.... until everyone has one and the next new thing comes out, etc etc.

C'est la vie. ::)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 12:23:36 PM by Telstar5 »

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 05:47:33 PM »
I'm finally getting to c++ in the terminal.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »
Oh yeah... getting back on topic... I need a new Intel Mac so I can compile Universal binary apps. Then my sprites will be kickin fast I hope.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 08:01:28 PM »
You could always buy a compatible PC and install OS x86 on it. It is possible, I believe.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 09:26:32 PM »
In my area (Silicon Valley), everyone has one-- so basically you're not special at all.

Ghost

bman

• GMG Newbie

• no avatar

• R.I.P. SilverCreator
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 01:10:09 AM »
Hmm, let's see...

Done: HTML, CSS, Javascript, C++, Java, SC

Working on: PHP, GM (Windows), C# (XNA)

Goal: Get accepted into RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) and one day be a game developer/computer programmer.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 01:10:29 AM by bman »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 04:58:36 AM »
Oh yeah... getting back on topic... I need a new Intel Mac so I can compile Universal binary apps. Then my sprites will be kickin fast I hope.

If you upgrade to Tiger, you can compile Universal apps on your iMac. You don't need an Intel Mac to compile Universal binary.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 05:00:49 AM »
I got an iPhone because it was exactly what I wanted - a wireless internet device that didn't suck. I'll only switch if a compellingly better device comes along.

For a long time I considered buying a Palm, but the data plan was $60/mo alone plus $500 for the Palm, plus the screen wasn't as big and the browser not as good.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 05:21:23 AM »
I got an iPhone because it was exactly what I wanted - a wireless internet device that didn't suck. I'll only switch if a compellingly better device comes along.

For a long time I considered buying a Palm, but the data plan was $60/mo alone plus $500 for the Palm, plus the screen wasn't as big and the browser not as good.

I never really liked anything that came out of Palm. I had one once, it was awful. It was buggy as shit, slow, touch screens never seemed to like me; in general, I was unimpressed. I think the handheld PC form factor makes the most sense for any kind of portable and certainly a simple web and email terminal (shame they're all running WinCE...)

Oh yeah, I'm still wondering what tat I can send you. Would you prefer some kind of British oddity, music, or shall I just try and see what I can find that I think you'd like the most?

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 05:53:26 AM »
If you upgrade to Tiger, you can compile Universal apps on your iMac. You don't need an Intel Mac to compile Universal binary.

I know. I'm thinking about adding more RAM and upgrading to OS X 10.4, but not sure if it's worth it since my Mac will still be getting too slow for todays stuff anyway.