Topic:   Avisaria   (Read 25777 times)

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

Re: Avisaria
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2008, 03:22:40 PM »
so its an absoluly bug free, optimized chat program?..... i could do that in sc in 3 minutes

I'd really like to see that-- make a chat program in 3 minutes that can handle multiple chat participants live, and I'll believe it.

Ghost

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2008, 06:46:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure that several SC chat programs have been developed.
If several of them have already been made how come I never heard of them?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »
lol,

I will see how long it takes for me to make a HTML + Javascript one :)

Mist (I would do it in C# but I haven't figured out networking yet)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:50:46 PM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2008, 06:51:49 PM »
If several of them have already been made how come I never heard of them?
Harry and Redd made their own chat programs. I made Sc's first MMORPG server/client.

I will see how long it takes for me to make a HTML + Javascript one  
Cool.

-Gandolf

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
Hey guys. I have a difficult decision to make that could affect the whole outcome of Avisaria. So....  I will let you guys either (A) Pick the right choice and Avisaria becomes great or (B) Pick the wrong choice and I can't entirely be blamed.

Here are the choices:
(1) Client sends keydown/activity events and server processes it, sends player info, npc info, map, and whatever to display. Basicly the server does all work and client just shows the outcome.
(2) Server sends the client npc info, map, map info, player moves according to the info sent by server. Server doesn't do as much work.

Server runs the whole world in both instances. In first instance, the player is more integrated/melded in the world causing less problems. First one would be much better, but would need a much more powerful computer, and a great internet connection. Number 1 would be a more quality game with a chance of more lag. Number 2 MIGHT be a bit faster, no guarantees.

Also, I am getting far enough that if this decision is made soon, I can have Avisaria ready for beta testing today.

Though, I will need a portforwarded router because Satyricon's router is having issues and I can't portforward my router.

-Gandolf

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »
Cant we do a modification of number 1, and split the work between both the server and the player?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
I could go with #1, and while implementing it, I could do these things:
(1) Create UDP connection to send things faster, get rid of some laggyness if any.
(2) Try to have the client do as much work as it can on it's own without the server, than have it communicate.
(3) Have the whole world map with world data loaded in the client so the server just sends back stats/coordinates and the client pieces it all together.

That would split the work a little more evenly and speed it up a bit, but the server would still do a lot of the work.

What do you guys think? I still need more input.

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:21:40 PM by Gandolf »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »
This depends... how good is your internet connection? Also, are you planning on getting a server computer dedicated to running this game?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2008, 12:42:32 PM »
This depends... how good is your internet connection? Also, are you planning on getting a server computer dedicated to running this game?

My connection is fairly good, though we will be running it on Satyricon's super computer in Sweden. Yeah, it will run all the time, 24 hours a day.

-Gandolf
P.S. By testing, and using my new MLoC speed program, I bet could run at most 1 million people online at once on my pc. Yes, it will be incredibly laggy, and my bandwidth will be very low, but it won't crash the server.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:45:22 PM by Gandolf »

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
I would say a mod of #1

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
Thanks guys, I will try out #1. Hopefully it is the right choice. :P

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:27:09 PM by Gandolf »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2008, 07:23:06 AM »
why does everyone care so much about chat programs?! dealer wars on two player had chat capability

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2008, 09:44:09 AM »
Mainly because that's the stage Avisaria is currently in. Though I perfected the login/registration, got rid of a nasty cpu bug, and have made the code more organized and got rid of any extra laggyness.

Avisaria's ready for the next stage. Today I will prepare it and start on the next stage.

-Gandolf

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2008, 03:02:22 PM »
why does everyone care so much about chat programs?! dealer wars on two player had chat capability

Because you claim you can make one in 3 minutes. =D

Ghost

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »
Hey Ghost. Before we move on to the next stage, I need to fully test the server/client in the real world environment for any bugs/things that need to be tested and improved. Have you been able to get windows on your mac?

-Gandolf