Topic:   The Pirate Party   (Read 11420 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

The Pirate Party
« on: July 23, 2009, 08:00:30 AM »
What do you guys think about this?
CNN
The party's ultimate aim is to deregulate copyright, abolish the patent system and decrease online surveillance.
Basically... they want to get rid of child locks on the internet, legalize piracy(online theft), and take away all protection from the internet. If the internet becomes this... rapists and pedophiles are going to be really happy...

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:10:58 PM by Gandolf »

Xiphos

• GMG-er

Re: The Pirate Party
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:11:34 AM »
Aaarg

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:34:47 AM »
What "child locks" on the internet? It is impossible for children to be shielded from "adult content".

Legalize piracy? That would be pointless, as anyone with half a brian can already pirate anything without repercussions.

The only thing that you claim the Pirate Party wants to do that would actually make a difference is "decrease online surveillance", which I of course agree with. While I'm sure that you love the government watching you online, nobody else does.

For anyone who wants to know what the Pirate Party actually wants to do, follow this link: http://www.piratpartiet.se/international/english
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:46:00 AM by WarHampster »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »
What "child locks" on the internet? It is impossible for children to be shielded from "adult content".  

Legalize piracy? That would be pointless, as anyone with half a brian can already pirate anything without repercussions.  

The only thing that you claim the Pirate Party wants to do that would actually make a difference is "decrease online surveillance", which I of course agree with. While I'm sure that you love the government watching you online, nobody else does.

For anyone who wants to know what the Pirate Party actually wants to do, follow this link: http://www.piratpartiet.se/international/english
Most sites containing inappropriate content require that you state that you are of age, also public places place blocks on what content you can see. They want to get rid of that.

Piracy is stealing, by legalizing piracy, you're legalizing the right to steal. People may be able to download some pirated stuff easily without punishment, but what they are doing is still wrong. It's the same as going to the store and sneaking a DVD into your jacket.

What I claim is stated on CNN, you can look there if you don't believe me.

The name already gives a hint of their purpose, "The Pirate Party", I'm sure you can guess it.

As for getting rid of the CopyRight and patent systems... Mike would be very unhappy if someone named their game creator SilverCreator. Or if I started making and selling these multi-media cellular devices which I call "iPhones" that look exactly like what Apple creates.

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:00:06 PM by Gandolf »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »
Go to the Party website and read about what they actually propose.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:10:30 PM »
I have, though to find a true meaning; some times you have to read between the lines.

-Gandolf

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »
Aaarg

LOL! QOTM

But This would make it almost impossible to rum a good business on the net.  But I do Support some internet deregulation.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:32:42 PM by Gnome_Again »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
impossible to rum a good business

Haha very punny!

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 06:36:12 AM »
public places place blocks on what content you can see. They want to get rid of that.
I wouldn't object to that. Right now I'm sitting in a Burger King and can't download the newest GM update because the Mac GameMaker homepage contains "inappropriate content". (as does the Harry Potter site ::) ) If the blocks were reasonable I wouldn't mind, but there not so I do.

Piracy is stealing, by legalizing piracy, you're legalizing the right to steal. People may be able to download some pirated stuff easily without punishment, but what they are doing is still wrong. It's the same as going to the store and sneaking a DVD into your jacket.
Piracy is terrible, and any attempt to stop it is A-OK with me.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »
Right now I'm sitting in a Burger King and can't download the newest GM update because the Mac GameMaker homepage contains "inappropriate content". (as does the Harry Potter site ::) ) If the blocks were reasonable I wouldn't mind, but there not so I do.

How in the world does the GameMaker site contain inappropriate content!? There aren't even any ads, so there can't even be any accidental linking to bad sites. That is totally ridiculous!

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »

It's the same as going to the store and sneaking a DVD into your jacket.

You've been watching the anti-piracy advert on DVD's too much.

Ladies and gentlemen; allow me to annouce something remarkable!

[size=24]nobody gives a crap about internet law[/size]

Most people online don't know what an IP address is, but for the minority that do, the law is easy avoided. To respect internet law would be hopelessly futile, as there's always someone avoiding it and it is not the same as a real crime. For example, any idiot can go about snatching handbags, someone stealing credit card details is going to be an intelligent criminal who knows how to cover their tracks.

If they were going to make the internet safe, they'd ban it.

Rape online happens much less than in the real world. Remember that.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:39:32 PM by Telstar5 »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »
It appears that The Pirate Party cares a lot about the internet law and to abolish all security measures taken by the government.

Though taking what is not yours unrightfully is stealing, it doesn't matter if it's all too easy; it's still wrong.

-Gandolf

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »
Basically... they want to get rid of child locks on the internet, legalize piracy(online theft), and take away all protection from the internet. If the internet becomes this... rapists and pedophiles are going to be really happy...

-Gandolf
Old news. The pirate party now has representation in the EU parliament. Your "summary" is quite biased, perhaps you should consider making it more objective, because that's not what their goal is at all. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party:

"The Pirate Party (Swedish: Piratpartiet) is a political party in Sweden. It strives to reform laws regarding copyright and patents. The agenda also includes support for a strengthening of the right to privacy, both on the Internet and in everyday life, and the transparency of state administration.[1] The Party has intentionally chosen to be block independent on the traditional left-right scale[2] to pursue their political agenda with all mainstream parties. The Pirate Party is the third largest party in Sweden in terms of membership. Its sudden popularity has given rise to parties with the same name and similar goals in Europe and worldwide."
Also, child "locks" are completely the responsibility of the parent. If you're concerned about your child seeing content you don't want them to, install parental controls or a web filter on your computer. There are many excellent software solutions.

Rapists and pedophiles are going to be happy?! How so-- it's still illegal to rape somebody. If someone does something illegal, they are punished; the pirate party isn't against the punishment of pedophiles and rapists.

Ghost

P.S. Maybe we should adopt China's version of the internet. ::) I'm not trying to be demeaning or anything, but I am extremely pro-net neutrality. Regulation of the internet should be kept to a minimum.

P.S.2. "Reform copyright laws" does not mean abolish copyright laws.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:28:23 PM by admin »

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »
It appears that The Pirate Party cares a lot about the internet law and to abolish all security measures taken by the government.
What security measures would those be?

Ghost