Topic:   An Intriguing Idea...   (Read 10587 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: An Intriguing Idea...
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 04:18:27 PM »
Ok folks, how about we get rolling with our next exercise? A simple text adventure should be easy enough to accomplish. I'll have some free time tomorrow to work on it so I'm gonna try to finish it in a single day and set a record. :)

So, anyone else up for a text adventure exercise? If we had a few small games to add to the Downloads section by Easter it would be cool. Perhaps we could submit a "Text Adventure Pack" or something, considering  games made (if any) are likely to be small.

EDIT:

Oh btw, if anyone doesn't already know Al's Text Adventure Template is a great tool for making text adventures. It's included in the Sample Code folder in the main GM folder.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:24:32 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
Grr! Still making the space game...

Anyways, I'll join this too. I've never made a text adventure.

-Gandolf

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 06:48:43 AM »
I can whip up a funny text adventure, no problem!

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
That's the spirit! :) I'm starting on mine now, which means I have 4 hours to make it. On my own whistle then; marks... get set... type!

*types furiously*

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »
I never even saw that post announcing the next challenge... I'll whip something up tonight :P

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 05:42:55 PM »
Well, I didn't finish it, but I've got surprisingly large amounts of it done. If it's not finished by tomorrow it won't be more than a few days away.

I wrote the story in a few minutes and spent the rest of the time coming up with challenges, I just have to put them into the game now. (I've only got the first few cards complete) I've updated Al's Text Adventure Template again, implementing Global and Local commands as well as adding the ability to change the main text of a card before loading it. I'll post the update tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:44:01 PM by Silverwind »

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
I've updated Al's Text Adventure Template again, implementing Global and Local commands as well as adding the ability to change the main text of a card before loading it. I'll post the update tomorrow.

Great!

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 11:45:11 PM »
Ok folks, how about we get rolling with our next exercise? A simple text adventure should be easy enough to accomplish. I'll have some free time tomorrow to work on it so I'm gonna try to finish it in a single day and set a record. :)

So, anyone else up for a text adventure exercise? If we had a few small games to add to the Downloads section by Easter it would be cool. Perhaps we could submit a "Text Adventure Pack" or something, considering  games made (if any) are likely to be small.

EDIT:

Oh btw, if anyone doesn't already know Al's Text Adventure Template is a great tool for making text adventures. It's included in the Sample Code folder in the main GM folder.

Hey Silver, would you like me to make you a mod on a "Monthly Challenge" forum? That way we could keep track of these challenges if you're going to do more than one.

Ghost

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 01:33:58 AM »
That would be great Ghost. Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 02:42:54 AM by Silverwind »