Topic:   UntitledGame Feedback Thread   (Read 18113 times)

Redd

• GMG-er

• Silent, but very, very deadly.
UntitledGame Feedback Thread
« on: November 03, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »
I've been working on a small game during my free time [size=10](and whenever I can find an empty desk)[/size] at school for the past three weeks or so.

Progress varies depending on the effort a specific feature requires, but my to-do list shortens almost on a daily basis. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on motivation not ditching me again.

The main purpose of this thread is to receive feedback on the aesthetic end of this project, and in a way to keep myself geared up to work on it until the end. Because everyone should know my history with deadlines by now >_<

Moving on, without revealing too many details:

Does this screen look cluttered/bad in any way?

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
Re: UntitledGame Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:39:42 PM »
It looks nice and organised, not cluttered at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from this, it looks very promising.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:39:52 PM by Teruri »
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »
Looks good to me. Though you could probably spread out the boxes a bit more.

-Gandolf

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »
It looks nice and organised, not cluttered at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from this, it looks very promising.
Thanks :) I'll be posting gameplay videos and all that as more progress is made.

Looks good to me. Though you could probably spread out the boxes a bit more.
Any better?

Methinks the footer needs fixing as well. :-/ I'll leave it as such for now.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:29:25 PM »
Awesome... is this in SC?

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »
Awesome... is this in SC?
Thanks! Actually this is RB, I'll be working on something with SC as soon as it hits my expectations :P

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 05:41:32 PM »
Well if you plan on winning the game I assume your party members will have to not all be the same person right?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
Very, very impressive Redd. :)
I survived the spammage of 2007

GMG Hendo

• GMG-er

• [WITTY TEXT GOES HERE]
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
Looks great so far Redd!

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 04:58:02 AM »
Thanks! Actually this is RB, I'll be working on something with SC as soon as it hits my expectations :P

It seems like you could replicate that screen using the new DRAWSTRING.

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 09:06:20 AM »
Well if you plan on winning the game I assume your party members will have to not all be the same person right?
Of course not! XD I still have to make the menu pull up information from other classes (characters, inventory, etc).

Very, very impressive Redd. :)

Looks great so far Redd!
Thanks, I'll soon be done with the menu mechanics (weeee!), so hopefully a video or something will follow.

It seems like you could replicate that screen using the new DRAWSTRING.
When 2.0 is finished I'll come up with something else, no worries.

Edit:

Party formation basics down, working on making the space editable:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:03:53 PM by Redd »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 12:14:27 PM »
(groan) is this another attempt at tactics gameplay? ai is near impossible to program for that genre

you wont loose motivation as long as you maintane realistic goals, you have to be able to see from a to b, people always try to include difficult features that are beyond their coding ability, or excessive amounts of content not realizeing how long its gonna take to draw all the graphics. then before you know it those people are "moving on" to RB or something when they couldnt even produce anything in SC which they claim is to simple.

for anyone listening start out simple, the goal is to produce content have something to show for you time and effort. write out the story and events first and break it down to something reasonable, then make the graphics then put it all together

for me that meant haveing only three levels in gandel, and in mystic legend i could only have one screen levels and one town so that i could finish it
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:18:34 PM by EqwanoX »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
Small games aren't necessarily short either. I've spent well over an hour on JtG sometimes. I've never won ML but I've had long runs on that too.

Even Quest of Magic has a solid hour's gameplay.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »
(groan) is this another attempt at tactics gameplay? ai is near impossible to program for that genre
No.

I'll admit there is a degree of tactics in there, but not on the same level as traditional SRPGs do it. It's very basic, and you'll see in time.

you wont loose motivation as long as you maintane realistic goals, you have to be able to see from a to b, people always try to include difficult features that are beyond their coding ability, or excessive amounts of content not realizeing how long its gonna take to draw all the graphics. then before you know it those people are "moving on" to RB or something when they couldnt even produce anything in SC which they claim is to simple.
The goals I have right now are realistic, they're possible, but they're challenging to complete. How else will I learn how to be better at what I do?

I'm sorry if SC/GM are the only programming languages you know. Other people want to learn more, I was one of them. SC is a great starting point, but in the end it's not something everyone will want to stick with for the rest of their lives. Also, not everyone thinks SC is the easiest language out there. You can't blame them for "moving on" in order to find what they can understand better.

for anyone listening start out simple, the goal is to produce content have something to show for you time and effort. write out the story and events first and break it down to something reasonable, then make the graphics then put it all together

for me that meant haveing only three levels in gandel, and in mystic legend i could only have one screen levels and one town so that i could finish it
Maybe you failed to notice that lying under that menu (it is not completely opaque) is a dungeon of which engine I've finished.

GMG Tim

• Administrator

• GMG-er

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 01:30:41 PM »
I disagree, once you get the hang of game-making it's an excellent idea to experiment with new languages, methods of implementing engines, and game formats. Even if you don't finish the project, you'll have learned a lot about game design for that genre. I put together an MMO engine which was never finished, but now I got all sorts of ideas for what kind of game to make using what I learned. Experimentation is key to learning, without it your skills are static.