Topic:   New Sprites   (Read 9323 times)

j

• GMG Newbie

Re: New Sprites
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »
I don't see why you would need to modify the images to fit a 44x44 sprite frame. Excluding transparent pixels, most of their exact pixel dimensions are even numbers (the Vampire with open arms is 34x38) so centering them in a 44x44 frame shouldn't be an issue. Modifying a single side of pixels should be enough for the exceptions, such as the Lich.

I agree with Eqwanox on him, btw; the checker-boarded pixels don't really work. The right hand is good, but I'd copy from the Vampire's hands and feet for the Lich's left hand and feet.

Are you just concerned with scaling them up to maximize your frame? Because one pixel won't make a substantial visual difference.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 02:05:22 PM »
I prefer the middle. The left is way to unbalanced, and the right is too light in my opinion. The middle is perfect!
Thanks, I'll make the change. :)

I don't see why you would need to modify the images to fit a 44x44 sprite frame. Excluding transparent pixels, most of their exact pixel dimensions are even numbers (the Vampire with open arms is 34x38) so centering them in a 44x44 frame shouldn't be an issue. Modifying a single side of pixels should be enough for the exceptions, such as the Lich.
Ah, the entities are an easy fix alright, but the terrain tiles will be quite a hassle. I've got lots of transition tiles like these:

I agree with Eqwanox on him, btw; the checker-boarded pixels don't really work. The right hand is good, but I'd copy from the Vampire's hands and feet for the Lich's left hand and feet.
I think you're right, I'll have another whack at it later. I'd kinda like a more skeletal frame than the regular humanoid, but it's hard to cram detail into such a small space, hehe...

Are you just concerned with scaling them up to maximize your frame? Because one pixel won't make a substantial visual difference.
Nah, as I say it's not the entities I'm worried about, and in fact quite the contrary to maximising the frame I'm gonna "surface" them from now on so that when a dwarf stands next to a human you'll actually see the hight difference (and it won't just look like the dwarf is floating ;D ).
I survived the spammage of 2007

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 04:39:25 PM »
Ya those transition tiles aren't very good.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »
Ya those transition tiles aren't very good.
Those are among my most favorited tiles I've ever made. I absolutely love them, I just need to update the grass to the newer tone and expand the edges by 1 pixel.

I studied Yipe! III's graphics allot while making them, and I was so pleased with the result that I actually preferred mine, and that's a big thing for me what with Yipe!'s tile set being my all time favourite.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 07:28:31 PM »
Yeah! Yipe's tiles are amazing. :)

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 10:35:08 PM »
It just seems like the sand comes on too quickly like no one has ever walked over there and dragged sand on the grass.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »
I'm making progress with the new mountain tiles:

I've gone with a boulderish look instead of actual mountains, as I can't get the scale right. This is only a single outcrop of rock, but it's a good template for each variant.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:05:50 PM by Silverwind »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 05:56:45 PM »
Hmm, so you're going for a less "distinctively tiled" look?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 06:24:54 PM »
Slightly I suppose, but not for the sake of it, it'll just end up that way. Why do you ask out of interest?

Btw, seeing as how the mountain tiles are (or at least will be when they're finished) modern and high quality, we can use them in the group project if you'd like. We'd have to re-color and dither shade them to match the other tiles, but that wouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:41:35 PM by Silverwind »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »
thats really good for a rock tile but not the best replacement for mountains, why not make a four tile size mountain?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »
I am. :) I'm working on a few variants for different connections, but it's taking awhile to sculpt them:

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »
Now it's really starting to take shape:

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
That's awesome!
Kinda reminds me of the mountainous regions sorrounding the volcano.
Those tiles would be thrilling in an online game.

-Gandolf

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 03:00:12 PM »
It looks pretty good, but it also looks like it would be hard to insert into a map.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 03:04:52 PM »
It's no hassle in Photoshop, but if you're working in an app without grid support I reckon it'd be fairly tricky. It's out of the question in Appleworks for example. ;)