Topic:   Attacks on the NHS   (Read 14700 times)

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Attacks on the NHS
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 10:41:46 AM »
it ought to be provided by the government at the taxpayer's expense.

A lot of people in America don't pay taxes...

There are around 40-50 million uninsured people in America, according to the Census and other polls. 12 or so million are illegal aliens, and a good number of the rest don't need it because they can afford to cover medical costs. We don't need national health care to cover 25-35 million Americans.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 12:48:01 PM »
Harry's right, the need of NHS isn't high(Also probably isn't worth the downsides). It'd probably be better in focusing the money onto more important matters.

-Gandolf

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 07:37:13 AM »
A lot of people in America don't pay taxes...

How is it possible to not pay taxes?

Harry's right, the need of NHS isn't high (Also probably isn't worth the downsides). It'd probably be better in focusing the money onto more important matters.

-Gandolf

I didn't think there was anything more important than health. What is more important than giving everyone the right to medical treatment?

The USA spends billions on it's military. If the USA can find money to kill people, then they can find money to help people in their own country. Why is the latter not as important as the former?

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 11:17:28 PM »

How is it possible to not pay taxes?

I didn't think there was anything more important than health. What is more important than giving everyone the right to medical treatment?

The USA spends billions on it's military. If the USA can find money to kill people, then they can find money to help people in their own country. Why is the latter not as important as the former?

Its easy to not pay taxes, lots of senators get away with it all the time. ;)

Everyone already does have the right to health care, if your financial situation can't afford it, then I'm sorry, but you still have the right to it. You can always budget your income to afford it... This is America, the land of opportunity, so go out and make it work.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »
You know... now that I think of it...
I guess prejudice against America isn't all in the wrong. I know a lot of Americans who just aren't right in the head.
For more information, visit http://www.failblog.org/.

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:50:24 PM by Gandolf »

HarryCaray

• GMG-er

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 11:06:48 PM »
LOL @ G-Rated.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 09:12:57 AM »
I priced health insurance last year after I was no longer eligible for coverage through mom's work.

Because I'm self employed, I would have to pay something like $400/mo.

I started college again - and volia, now I can get on their health thing for very cheap.

If I leave college again? $400/mo.

I had to go to the emergency room back in 2007 in an ambulance. The ambulance cost $600 without insurance, $200 after we submitted the insurance. The hospital bill was $2k WITH insurance, and they barely did anything. I don't remember going from the ambulance to the hospital room, but I remember lying there weak as hell and someone came in the room and was asking me to fill out this form so they could bill me. I wanted to tell them to f--k off.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 02:31:17 PM »
$600 for an ambulance ride? It would have been cheaper getting a cab.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:31:30 PM by Telstar5 »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
I priced health insurance last year after I was no longer eligible for coverage through mom's work.

Because I'm self employed, I would have to pay something like $400/mo.

I started college again - and volia, now I can get on their health thing for very cheap.

If I leave college again? $400/mo.

I had to go to the emergency room back in 2007 in an ambulance. The ambulance cost $600 without insurance, $200 after we submitted the insurance. The hospital bill was $2k WITH insurance, and they barely did anything. I don't remember going from the ambulance to the hospital room, but I remember lying there weak as hell and someone came in the room and was asking me to fill out this form so they could bill me. I wanted to tell them to f--k off.
Think National Health Care will make it any better? (If so, explain)

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:48:12 PM by Gandolf »

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
An extra $400 a month which can be better spent stimulating the economy, standards in care, and a chance for someone to get medical help when the need it, not when they can afford it. Oh, and the choice to pay for private health insurance if you want it.

From where I'm sitting, that's not a terrible deal.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
It does sound pretty great... until a few things get questioned...

With NHS, everyone gets health care? Even illegal immigrants?
Would health care be paid for by our taxes? If so, everyone will pay just enough according to how much money they make, right? I'm thinking Mike will pay nearly the same or even more due to the mass amount of people getting free health care.
What about jobs? My partner in my debate class said that both of his parents had to move to the U.S. when Canada adopted this system of health care. They're both doctors, lost their jobs, and there were no open slots in sight.

How many government sponsored programs aren't useless or not in debt?

You guys can probably guess that Health Care is the #1 topic in my debate class, so I better brush up. (Imagine the huge mass of papers I had to file just for Health Care, I believe it counts to about 4000 at the moment

)

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »
I'n not going to step into this, just wanted to point something out

With NHS, everyone gets health care? Even illegal immigrants?

You're kidding, right? Right now emergency rooms have to treat whoever walks in the door, including illegal aliens. Public healthcare won't change this, or make it any worse.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2009, 01:59:14 PM »
Sorry, should of phrased that differently.
With NHS, everyone gets health care paid by taxes? Even illegal immigrants?

Of course everyone gets treated, though they also have to pay for their treatment. Insurance usually covers a portion of the pay, but won't NHS cover all of it? Even those who don't pay for NHS through taxes?

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
Are you bashing illegal immigrants?
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2009, 03:45:54 PM »
No. Well, maybe... Yeah, yes I am. I could see this turning into a debate on illegal immigrants.

-Gandolf