Topic:   Robotics Competition Tommorow   (Read 3036 times)

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
Robotics Competition Tommorow
« on: November 21, 2008, 04:48:31 PM »
So we've made it to the semi-final competition, just before the world finals. We've named ourselves "Team Intense", and have code-names for us like "Admiral Awesome" and "Commander Cool". We've got some pretty epic uniforms too. :D

Also, I got to basically skip all my classes at school today and work on the robot with my friends, which rocked.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of the robot and the uniforms. Wish us luck with our amazing robot tomorrow!

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Robotics Competition Tommorow
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 05:01:11 PM »
Wow! Best of luck indeed! :D

What competition is it for? And what does your robot do?
I survived the spammage of 2007

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 05:20:10 PM »
Neat. What does your robot do?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 05:52:51 PM »
It navigates around a field, picks up and flips cubes (with multiple conveyor lifts and shovels), sorts them, and drops them in the appropriate height goals, while searching for competitors cubes and knocking them out of the goals. Pretty cool.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:41:13 AM »
Neat. Who programmed it to do that?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 10:56:05 AM »
Awesome :) i'm taking a robotics course next year.

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 03:03:37 PM »
Yep. We placed 35th out of like 100 or something. Pretty good, but sadly not high enough to qualify for the world finals in Dallas. I still think we did well for our first time out with VEX (the robotics kit/pieces we used) and our first time at a huge competition like this.

We're redoing the navigation (no more holonomic drive!) the shaft encoders on the main axels, the differential will be changed, the lift mechanism will no longer pivot at the central bar, and a whole bunch of other physical and autonomous/command code changes too.

We're heading off to a few more competitions, with the possibility of qualifications later. Hopefully we'll do better there. When we're up against sponsored teams (by General Motors and more) It's quite difficult being the first-time team against teams that have been attending for years.

Ahh well, better luck next time! Had fun and learned a lot. And that's all good for later!