Topic:   programming TI-BASIC   (Read 26442 times)

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
programming TI-BASIC
« on: September 21, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
So yeah. I'm just chillin at school messin with my calculator I had to get for math class. Then someone comes up and says "do you have games on there" The totally thinking he was pulling my leg I said "do you" "of course" he said and pull out his and shows me a simple ASCII game. So what do you know TI-83 (and of course TI-84) calculators can run games written in TI-BASIC. So I did some research, and the language is extremely simple, and allegedly follows BASIC syntax, but I see a larger resemblance to GM, and C.

This is a small project I'm undertaking. Make a game programmed in TI-BASIC on my calculator, in a week or die a failure.

any of you with any calculator in the TI system should check out the language, and wow your friends.

I'll probably make more industrious programs a problem checker, and polynomial evaluators, but for now I'm satisfied with the game.
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: programming TI-BASIC
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »
I have mario and puzzle blocks on my calculator. Very entertaining during a dull math lecture.
Best part, the teacher has no idea.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »
Ohh... Is it one of those fancy graphing calculator with all sorts of bells and whistles like the ability to use Microsoft word and Excel, go on the internet, and play games IN COLOR? Or is it just a regular-type graphing calculator?
Googled. I see now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:23:05 PM by zoo804 »
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 02:29:22 PM »
how do you have mario on your calculator? or is it a different one?

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:42:47 PM »
It's a T-84 calculator and one of the programs is Mario. It's actually the Mario game, jump on goombas, get the coins by bumping blocks, ect.

I'm not sure how it got on my calculator, I'm just happy I have it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:43:10 PM by Gandolf »

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »
Well I'll have to find that. I was just going to make something simple and stupid. perhaps a defend the castle, but to my current knowledge there's no way to have more than one sprite without redrawing the whole screen every time.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
TI-84 calculators can be programmed both with Assembly and BASIC.  The graphical games are made in Assembly.

I did once program something simple for my calculator in BASIC, but I didn't experiment with it for long.  

The teachers at my high school were wise to calculator games, however, and would crack down on students playing during class.  But it was useful when you were done with a test before everybody else.

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:10:18 PM »
I once was really into it.

I made a complete SIMS text-based game on it, was chill.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »
whoa really! can you send a link! Also any good sites? haven't found a good one yet.

assembly whats that? I thought that C was an assembly language. Are you telling me its a whole different shebang? <=shebang is my word of the day

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
whoa really! can you send a link! Also any good sites? haven't found a good one yet.

assembly whats that? I thought that C was an assembly language. Are you telling me its a whole different shebang? <=shebang is my word of the day

C is most definitely NOT assembly language. Its just closer to it than most high level languages. An assembly language uses the instruction set of the processor, so 80x86 or MMIX for example. You use the registers in the CPU, and directly control memory access (none of this watered down business C does). However it usually ends up being extremely convoluted and hard to finish large projects in. Which is why C was invented actually. I think of C as platform independent assembly language with lots of built in features like functions and libraries and void pointers.

As far as programming languages can be classified, C is in the same tier as GM.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:55:58 PM by x »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »
Woah hold on how is it so close to GM? ???
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 05:26:41 AM »
Woah hold on how is it so close to GM? ???

I didn't say it was close, I just they fall into the same category. They are both high level languages, separated from assembly language.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:27:44 AM by x »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »
Anyone notice that a TI calculator costs about the same as an iPhone but is still technology from the old days?

Seriously, we pay big bucks for something we could've bought ten+ years ago.
2 color screen, clunky body, slow screen refresh rate, probably a very tiny amount of ram, no internet browsing...
If it was a smart phone it'd be the crapiest one around.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »
Ohh... Is it one of those fancy graphing calculator with all sorts of bells and whistles like the ability to use Microsoft word and Excel, go on the internet, and play games IN COLOR?
What universe are you in, Gan? Our math class had to buy these for $125.00 (Considerably cheaper than an Ipod touch/iPhone)
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 11:04:51 AM »
I believe you can get an iPhone 3GS for $99 or 3G $45. or wait, does that require a plan...

These things come in color?