Topic:   SimpleCard Development Thread   (Read 11069 times)

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
SimpleCard Development Thread
« on: July 06, 2009, 03:52:56 AM »
SimpleCard 1.3 is now out.

• Fixed a button bug (creating a button which goes to a card would not show you what card it went to if you clicked the button again)
  • Added 200 card support
  • Added three more buttons

Due to the new 6 button feature, old project files will show up with 'Button (x)' on existing cards. This is because the program saved those captions even though you didn't want them... nevermind!

SimpleCard is now open source. Click.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:07:12 PM by Telstar5 »

Xiphos

• GMG-er

Re: SimpleCard 1.3
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »
OMG simple card square moving "game" link posted soon =D

link here: http://www.savefile.com/files/2146739
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:51:48 PM by Xiphos »

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 11:31:28 PM »
Awesome, I have my first user ;D

Did you seriously have the patience to draw each graphic out and enter in exactly the same button data for each card? Wow. ;D ;D

What did you think of SimpleCard in terms of an application for making games? Do you think there could be some improvements?

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:39:01 AM »
There should be a copy button that allows you to copy the graphic from one page to another, and a universal button. Like on the game setting let there be an option for a quit button in the bottom corner. Also when importing a graphic it would be cool to have a scale to fit, do not modify, etc option. Set the amount of buttons per page. I am working on an actual game with it =D. 1st a quiz game (because we all love those). And then an adventure game.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:03:45 AM by Xiphos »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »
Awesome, I have my first user ;D

Did you seriously have the patience to draw each graphic out and enter in exactly the same button data for each card? Wow. ;D ;D

What did you think of SimpleCahd in terms of an application for making games? Do you think there could be some improvements?
Perhaps the ability to copy a card so you don't have to enter the SAME data for every one? :P
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »
SimpleCard 1.4 will be out later this week, perhaps the beginning of August.

The items in the current to-do list will be completed with the exception of fullscreen support, plus a new feature which will let you copy the settings of buttons from one card to other cards along with the graphics and text.

The score system will work much in the same way as GameMaker's counter (when score = x, go to card y).

A timer which moves from one card to the next may also be implemented.

One other thing that I should mention; you could make games with or without the text area, as well as being able to change the font, colour and size of the text area. This could be useful for title screens.

There is also the pressing issue of not being able to play games without compiling. I'll have a look and see what I can do about that; most likely it will have to compile into a temporary folder and launch itself.

EDIT: Could you sticky this, Ghost? :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:19:15 PM by Telstar5 »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: SimpleCard Development Thread
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:24:01 PM »
Lookin good. ;) 549 downloads on MacUpdate.com. I should put up Tf soon.
There is also the pressing issue of not being able to play games without compiling. I'll have a look and see what I can do about that; most likely it will have to compile into a temporary folder and launch itself.
That's the same method I use. Good thinking.

-Gandolf

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 04:06:11 PM »
Update!

Sadly I no longer have time to work on SimpleCard... funny, isn't it? I go from having nothing to do to having a lot of stuff to do, and now I haven't got time to work on anything... :(

Seeing as SimpleCard is practically abandoned, I'm going to make it open-source. The source code for the runtime and the editor can be obtained from the website.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »
I never got a chance o test this. I'll make a simple RPG with it later.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Redd

• GMG-er

• Silent, but very, very deadly.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »
O_O

After all that fixing you put me through!

I hate you Telly.

Remind me to poke you to death the next time I'm in your neighborhood. >:(

However I'm not sure where else this can go without making the simple part null. Apart from a GUI that will create one's games before they even think of it.

:/

Telstar5

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »
Sorry :(

I didn't think it would be worthwhile to just leave it there, not being worked on. Life is funny. Sometimes you have all the time in the world to build a city, then you find more pressing matters to deal with. I don't have time to work on SimpleCard (or even a lot of my other projects) but eventually I will get round to them, but probably not for a while... maybe in a few months. Seeing as you fixed most of my crap code, I should probably have asked for your permission before I open sourced it, but I've not seen you on MSN for a while.

...but a GUI that makes games without user input would be kind of cool :P

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 07:24:25 PM »
Seeing as you fixed most of my crap code, I should probably have asked for your permission before I open sourced it, but I've not seen you on MSN for a while.
Any moron can come up with that kind of code, I don't mind it being in the open at all :P

I may take a look at the source again just for fun, working on this was helpful especially when things became too complicated in my projects.

I've been a rare sight on msn lately, yes, and that's because of work. I'm hoping to quit by the end of this month on condition that I receive any positive feedback from the school I registered for.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »
You guys could take a new direction for SimpleCard...
Just an idea, though you could have things called "Objects". On a card window in the editor you could click an Object + button and it would pop up a small window where you choose a sprite/image for the object and press "Create". It than puts that object in the middle of the screen that you can move around to a place of your liking. Then if you double click on the object it would pull up an action menu with pre-made coding that the user can make the object disappear when touching another object. No real coding for the user, just maybe a drop down list of things to do when events happen.
It would keep the simplicity but maximize the features.

-Gandolf

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 07:41:56 PM »
You guys could take a new direction for SimpleCard...
Just an idea, though you could have things called "Objects". On a card window in the editor you could click an Object + button and it would pop up a small window where you choose a sprite/image for the object and press "Create". It than puts that object in the middle of the screen that you can move around to a place of your liking. Then if you double click on the object it would pull up an action menu with pre-made coding that the user can make the object disappear when touching another object. No real coding for the user, just maybe a drop down list of things to do when events happen.
It would keep the simplicity but maximize the features.

-Gandolf
This would be simple as using RPG Maker on the PS1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW8KBB-t-hE&fmt=18

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »
Could you include the actual source files in the download (not just the project files)? I'd love to read the code to see how you made it but don't have RealBasic.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 09:19:29 PM by WarHampster »