Topic:   Objects   (Read 45030 times)

x

• GMG-er

Re: Objects
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »
I can only speak for myself, Gnome and Eq, but none of us were very surprised to learn that our simplistic card based development systems used dumbed down commands and features from the high level languages they were built in, whilst retaining the names they were based on.

I've never met a kid with a cork-pop riffle who couldn't understand why people referred to it as a gun, when clearly it was a toy. In the same way, this list of variables represents an object.

AHHH SYNTACTICAL ERRORS EVERYWHERE.. CANT... FUNCTION... NEED... CORRECT... TERMINOLOGY.....

Sorry for being so unnecessarily anal, but this mimics the functionality of a struct not an object! Which was my point by the way. I wish to clarify that my problem is not that this doesn't have advanced OOP features.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:33:21 AM by x »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 07:32:34 AM »
is a castle not a structure as much as its an object? Wouldn't it make sense to name this using the correct programming paradigm?
Clearly to you it would, as you think it would be sensible if the term was correct with other languages, but I think it would be more sensible if the term was immediately understandable, and I think object is considerably more obvious than struct.

Nobody's wrong here, there's just a disagreement on what's sensible.

Please read my posts before you criticize me for a moot point.  :P
I don't mean to criticize you, and I did read your posts.
I survived the spammage of 2007

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:54 AM »
Clearly to you it would, as you think it would be sensible if the term was correct with other languages, but I think it would be more sensible if the term was immediately understandable, and I think object is considerably more obvious than struct.

Nobody's wrong here, there's just a disagreement on what's sensible.

I don't mean to criticize you, and I did read your posts.

Well if we're going to call it an object, we not take my aforementioned advice and allow methods and data hiding so it actually IS syntactically correct fake OOP?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:35:07 AM by x »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 07:35:56 AM »
x, it is you that doesn't understand! ;D I'm talking about real objects, not the programming sense of the word. I'm talking the chair your sitting on, the glass of milk you're sipping, and the clock that's just made me aware of how late I am! Fare thee well!
I survived the spammage of 2007

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 07:37:32 AM »
I agree, no-one is wrong, we're just arguing semantics I guess.

x, it is you that doesn't understand! ;D I'm talking about real objects, not the programming sense of the word. I'm talking the chair your sitting on, the glass of milk you're sipping, and the clock that's just made me aware of how late I am! Fare thee well!

I know that! I'm just saying that seems silly too me since these things are also structures are they not? So we may as well use the correct programming term! Although the term object does make a little more sense to be fair, I just can't stand incorrect terminology, which is a fairly odd character flaw I must admit. And good day too you sir, sleep well and try not too lucid dream, I hear its very tiring  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:45:20 AM by x »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 10:11:12 AM »
I think I understand what the argument is. Silverwind is programming the chair by saying their is a chair there and it has these features. x is arguing that the chair is an object with these chair features like all other chairs in the chair object.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
If it helps, I just realized you can put artificial objects inside artificial objects.

I should probably make an example game that uses this.

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »
I think I understand what the argument is. Silverwind is programming the chair by saying their is a chair there and it has these features. x is arguing that the chair is an object with these chair features like all other chairs in the chair object.

Not even close haha.

@Gandalf: Yeh, pretty cool right? I posted about that before, it means 2d arrays are possible, which might make a grid system more elegant.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:40:34 PM by x »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 07:20:40 PM »

THE ARGUMENT: Chairs are things with chair-like properties that are shared by all other chairs within a chair, recursing to infinity.

8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:21:24 PM by WarHampster »

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 07:24:19 PM »

THE ARGUMENT: Chairs are things with chair-like properties that are shared by all other chairs within a chair, recursing to infinity.

8)

Which then causes a stack overflow crashing GMG.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »
And my brain.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »
I agree, no-one is wrong, we're just arguing semantics I guess.

I know that! I'm just saying that seems silly too me since these things are also structures are they not? So we may as well use the correct programming term! Although the term object does make a little more sense to be fair, I just can't stand incorrect terminology, which is a fairly odd character flaw I must admit. And good day too you sir, sleep well and try not too lucid dream, I hear its very tiring  ;)

I would like to point out that in C++ both structs and classes are exactly the same. class is just a C++ struct in which the default access to it's variables is private instead of public, like a struct.

Class is just formally used for objects that'll take into consideration encapsulation, polymorphism, abstraction, and hierarchy.

and although the C++ struct can hold functions, in good programming practice it doesn't. That is left to objects, because of practice, and the added functionally of the copy-constructor, printing constructor, and all the rest.
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 11:15:26 PM »

I would like to point out that in C++ both structs and classes are exactly the same. class is just a C++ struct in which the default access to it's variables is private instead of public, like a struct.

Class is just formally used for objects that'll take into consideration encapsulation, polymorphism, abstraction, and hierarchy.

and although the C++ struct can hold functions, in good programming practice it doesn't. That is left to objects, because of practice, and the added functionally of the copy-constructor, printing constructor, and all the rest.

You assumed that an object is a data type that holds both data and functions. Thats a common incorrect assumption. The definition of an object is something that is capable of data hiding, polymorphism and inheritance. Thats the important difference between a struct and a class.

Otherwise whats the point of C++? Since C has structs...

Edit: Nice grave digging.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:16:38 PM by x »

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:27 PM »

You assumed that an object is a data type that holds both data and functions. Thats a common incorrect assumption. The definition of an object is something that is capable of data hiding, polymorphism and inheritance. Thats the important difference between a struct and a class.

Otherwise whats the point of C++? Since C has structs...

Edit: Nice grave digging.
thanks ;) grave digging is my specialty

a C++ struct is way different than a C struct. It has added functionalities.
You just compared a C struct to a C++ class.
I was comparing C++ struct to a C++ class
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 01:13:40 AM »
thanks ;) grave digging is my specialty

a C++ struct is way different than a C struct. It has added functionalities.
You just compared a C struct to a C++ class.
I was comparing C++ struct to a C++ class

Well thats an annoying and pointless comparison. Lets compare a sea with an ocean while we're at it, thats just as frustratingly niggly and irrelevant.

If you look at the ASM generated, a struct and a class in C++ is the same thing from a machines point of view.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 01:14:49 AM by x »