Topic:   Dot net is the best   (Read 11527 times)

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
Dot net is the best
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »
I'm breaking my vow to never share projects until they are reasonably far along in development because I am a very happy programmer.

Hint: this is what SC3D was supposed to be.

Anyway I've had this running for a while, the reason I'm excited is that I now have it running on Windows, OSx, and potentially Linux. Check out the Mono project, it is a cross-platform runtime for dotnet (it runs on everything from the big three [Windows, OSx, Linux] to iOS). It was a struggle getting all the frameworks set up, but now I can recompile my project for any platform without changing the code.

Also C# is seriously the best language.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Dot net is the best
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
I agree. I'm taking a joy ride in C# too at the moment. I love not having to worry about pointers and memory management.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »
C# is amazing.

I don't have that vow, but I am making a RTS in it atm, (not very far along due to work, just have most of the pathfinding down)

Its so fast, efficient, and hopefully can be distributed everywhere.

<3 C#

Aaannddddd... Drumroll please

Apparently (I just checked because I felt like it) Unity is now FREE and runs on windows and Mac.

In addition, it can be programmed with C#

I think I just fell in love again O.o
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:44:57 PM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
I dislike C#, I call it "I can't believe its not Java".

Java > C#.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:43:08 PM by x »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »
A few dislikes of Java are the available IDEs(especially Netbeans) and the confusing libraries. Should I use awt or swing!?

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »
A few dislikes of Java are the available IDEs(especially Netbeans) and the confusing libraries. Should I use awt or swing!?

You don't really need and IDE. Although BlueJ/Eclipse are good.

You can use either .awt or .swing, or both.
http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/26970
You can have just done a simple Google search and got a succinct explanation.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:17:21 PM by x »

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:53 AM »
I'd like to see a Java IDE that mimics REALbasic - automating all of the GUI code, but also allowing you to double click on a button or whatever other object and getting a nice list of all possible "events". It would shield all of the GUI code from you.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 05:14:54 AM »
I think of C# as Java with more features, more flexibility, and better libraries (I agree with Gan that the Java libraries are generally confusing)... I'm not sure why a Java programmer wouldn't like it.

Care to explain, x?

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »
I think of C# as Java with more features, more flexibility, and better libraries (I agree with Gan that the Java libraries are generally confusing)... I'm not sure why a Java programmer wouldn't like it.

Care to explain, x?
I think of C# as an overly ambitious rip off of Java, with lots of unnecessary features that bog you down, a more buggy VM and with less open source projects.

I feel C# has far worse class libraries, especially for beginners. C# I have found (and so have others) runs much slower with objects and typically uses 3-10000 times time the memory. This brings me to my next and most major problem, C# has a HORRENDOUS garbage collector in my experience. Java is more portable (none of this mono nonsense, it is supported right out of the box). Java works much better on servers. Java scales better. Java is free, no matter your level of development. With the newest version of Java, much of it is actually compiled from byte-code at run time, making it faster than C# overall (arguably) whereas C# was definitely the faster language previously. Java has way better enums. Java has better threading support, mainly with concurrency.
This is all my opinion of course.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh and Mike: http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/gui_builder.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:31:33 PM by x »

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »
I think I may be the strange one, but one of the things I look for in a language is a lack of a UI creator or the like.

My biggest problem with unity is that I want to be able to simply code, I don't want to have to deal with (inevitably) clumsy UIs which get in the way of me trying to find what I want to find.

What I want to be able to do is write everything in code, because then it is in its purest code.  I am not a visual thinker.

Anyways, I like externalizing level content, and it is difficult to do that with most GUIs.
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 08:46:42 PM »
I think I may be the strange one, but one of the things I look for in a language is a lack of a UI creator or the like.

My biggest problem with unity is that I want to be able to simply code, I don't want to have to deal with (inevitably) clumsy UIs which get in the way of me trying to find what I want to find.

What I want to be able to do is write everything in code, because then it is in its purest code.  I am not a visual thinker.

Anyways, I like externalizing level content, and it is difficult to do that with most GUIs.

I am totally with you on this, which is perhaps the root of my dislike of all "visual" Microsoft languages.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »

I am totally with you on this, which is perhaps the root of my dislike of all "visual" Microsoft languages.
The reason why I like M$ Visual C# is not because of the GUI editor, I simply like the code editor.  It is one of the easiest editors which I have ever used.  Intellitype is amazing.

EDIT: When I was using straight up Visual C# I was using XNA, now with Unity, I expect to have an almost empty stage and simply create everything in code, just using the Unity engine to power it.
Maybe I will grow to like the unity GUI... I will never know.

And I like C#, I could probably use Java if I wanted to, and I wouldn't mind too much, but Intellitype is something which once you use it, you don't want to use anything else anymore.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:30:19 PM by mistron »
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »
Yeah I agree.
Though I really like simple visual IDEs. VS is one of the best in that area.

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 06:50:02 AM »
Either way, C++ is the language for me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:50:37 AM by x »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38:44 AM »
I think of C# as an overly ambitious rip off of Java, with lots of unnecessary features that bog you down, a more buggy VM and with less open source projects.

I feel C# has far worse class libraries, especially for beginners. C# I have found (and so have others) runs much slower with objects and typically uses 3-10000 times time the memory. This brings me to my next and most major problem, C# has a HORRENDOUS garbage collector in my experience. Java is more portable (none of this mono nonsense, it is supported right out of the box). Java works much better on servers. Java scales better. Java is free, no matter your level of development. With the newest version of Java, much of it is actually compiled from byte-code at run time, making it faster than C# overall (arguably) whereas C# was definitely the faster language previously. Java has way better enums. Java has better threading support, mainly with concurrency.
This is all my opinion of course.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh and Mike: http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/gui_builder.html

With dot net you really do need to think about how the garbage collector and the cli work to make things efficient, I'm still learning but the language gives you much more power over memory management than Java does. This has the downside of being slightly more involved but can result in faster programs... simple things like taking advantage of the difference between how classes and structs are stored in memory can make a big difference on efficiency, whereas in Java you don't really have control over any of that. I guess its really just a matter of personal preference, because I've found that threading in C# was really easy... and I've actually never used an enum. Whatever :P
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:39:17 AM by WarHampster »