Topic:   Cocca (objective-C)   (Read 15365 times)

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

Cocca (objective-C)
« on: September 17, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »
I've always had a dream to make a game for Iphone/itouch. It requires a knowledge of C and Cocca (I think) I don't want to pay for Apple's tutorials. So does anyone know any good sites.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
Re: Cocca (objective-C)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:07:26 PM »
I've always had a dream to make a game for Iphone/itouch. It requires a knowledge of C and Cocca (I think) I don't want to pay for Apple's tutorials. So does anyone know any good sites.
It requires Objective-C (Which I do not know, More like C thain C++ though) and Cocoa (Touch) libraries which are bundled with xTools.

I don't know about how to use them...

So...

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:32:47 PM »
Sorry from dredging up a old topic, but I didn't notice this topic before and if you are still interested, I will answer most of your questions:

First off, I don't believe any of the tuts cost anything, I use them freely.
Second, it does need a knowledge of C and Cocoa, but they are easy to learn if you can understand simple programming.

If you don't have Xcode, just say so and I will give you a link, and in the help menu of Xcode is a whole library of tuts that show you how to do anything you want to do.

Also, if you want to learn it and have aim or msn, just post it here(In a format spam people won't understand) and I will teach you what I all know about it.

-Gandolf

alias

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:01:59 PM »
the help menu of Xcode is a whole library of tuts that show you how to do anything you want to do.

HAHAH its so cryptic its like some riddle out of lord of the rings
thats why i gave up on objective C, im moving to bigger, simpler and easier to pick up things.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:03:12 PM »
Yeah... Apple's tutorials are notoriously terrible.

alias

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:05:12 PM »
C++ is slightly easier to learn due to the VAST amount of tutorials on it. Its also support on Xcode!

The problem comes with finding the right libraries and extentions etc, its so confusing.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »
Hey guys, I'm looking to Obj-C and all I can really do is make a calculator.
Do you guys know any game creation Obj-C/Xcode tutorials?

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »
Suggestion - don't bother learning objective c. It's only good for mac and iPhone apps... I think it's much better to learn a language that is suited to multiple platforms, like C or C++. You don't even need to use Obj-C on the iPhone... you can use C++, and I think someone figured out how to use Haxe.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:04:12 PM by WarHampster »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »
Yeah I see your point, though I gotta start small. Once I get the gist of Xcode + Obj-C I can move on to multi-platform C/C++. Until then, I'll just have to take small steps.
So... I'm thinking of learning how to make a small RPG similar to Yipe in Xcode, make some basic graphics(probably stick figures), and a simple little storyline. Maybe dabble in TCP/IP chat room programming. Once I get very familiar with it I'll step higher.
Though I need a starting point. That starting point is how to draw an image in a window. Then I can learn to do keyboard input, read/write files, networking, and sound. Then I can move on once I feel good enough.
Though I need your help.

-Gandolf
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:34:05 AM by Gandolf »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »
Yeah I see your point, though I gotta start small.

Objective C a "small step"? I hope you know what you're talking about.

Anyway, I found this: http://macscripter.net/book.php?id=71

It looks amazing, but it seems that the publisher went out of business, and I can't find it for sale anywhere. Since thats the case, I wouldn't feel bad about pirating it... I'll see what I can do.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 03:30:45 AM »
Though I need your guy's help.
..... I sincerely hope that was a mistype.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
Anyway, I found this: http://macscripter.net/book.php?id=71

It looks amazing, but it seems that the publisher went out of business, and I can't find it for sale anywhere. Since thats the case, I wouldn't feel bad about pirating it... I'll see what I can do.
That looks really good. If no copies exist for purchase now or in the future, I don't think it'd be illegal to obtain a free copy. Though I'm going to try to contact the author.

..... I sincerely hope that was a mistype.
Yeah, sorry. Typical American lingo. Didn't realize that others may not look at the same way I do... so:
Though I need your help.

-Gandolf

GMG Hendo

• GMG-er

• [WITTY TEXT GOES HERE]
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
Suggestion - don't bother learning objective c. It's only good for mac and iPhone apps... I think it's much better to learn a language that is suited to multiple platforms, like C or C++. You don't even need to use Obj-C on the iPhone... you can use C++, and I think someone figured out how to use Haxe.

That is the dumbest reason to not learn a language. That's like saying. Don't bother learning French, you can only use it in a couple countries. Windows is terrible to develop for. Objective-C isn't that hard, it's much better than C/C++

And C++ is hardly for mutliple platforms. Only really abstract software uses C++ on the Mac. All the beautiful apps like Transmission, Coda, FontCase etc. pure Obj-C. Gandolf I reccomend you DO follow through with it. And if you want to invest a bit I highly suggest the book Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X (3rd edition) by Aaron Hillegass. I got it off amazon and it is an amazing book.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:56:17 PM by Hendo »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »
Sorry Hendo, but read through this list of game engines, and find the ones that work on mac... then check what languages they support.

http://gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Engines
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 04:55:53 PM by WarHampster »