Topic:   Apocalypse Mode in Minecraft   (Read 8110 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Apocalypse Mode in Minecraft
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:46:05 AM »
The Minecraft reddit is blowing up in regards to having mobs actually seek you and destroy blocks to get to you in the night.
Like a zombie apocalypse.

People want this and a lot of people who first started playing Minecraft thought that this was the native game mode. I thought the same.

I'm disappointed this wasn't implemented from the start.

You guys think you'd enjoy an apocalypse mod on the GMG server? Peaceful in day, tragedy strikes in the night.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
Re: Apocalypse Mode in Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:53:10 AM »
Yeah we could try it on the server. Of course I'd just make a floating fort eventually.
In the jungle, where almost nothing spawns. :3
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:56:38 AM »
Alright, probably later today I'll implement this mod:

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/zombieapocalypse/

And this one for kicks:
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/zombie-miner/

I'll post when it's running.

Edit: For floating islands, they should make a dragon spawn. That'd certainly discourage that cheap trick.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:58:17 AM by Gan »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »
I don't know about dragon spawns, they would be too dangerous to players starting out, but some kind of flying hostile mob would make thins interesting... Perhaps they could tend to stay at a certain map height meaning they would mostly bother places like our current fort on the big hill in the jungle.

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »
If I could make mods....

• Zombies would spawn in places without roofs and away from players so they don't spawn inside your castle.
• They spawn far away, that way they have to travel to reach you. (Could take up to 2 minutes for the first wave to reach you, and it's cool to wait to see the hordes in the distance, or perhaps they spawn at sunrise and it takes a whole day for them to reach you)
• Give zombies the ability to think of the best way of breaking in and/or climbing over.
• Different types, zombies that are ground, others that are pirate zombies that travel over water, creepers(rare) that blow up, flying zombie birds(archers would be important)
• Depending on height, zombie birds would be more prolific.
• Zombies would drop realistic goods, armor, weapons, building blocks, food, seeds...
• Plants would sometimes randomly sprout throughout the world.
• Sea tide would rise at night, lower in morning and large bodies of water vary in quantity over time.
• Zombies could spawn from dirt/sand/soft ground material. As if coming from the grave
• Difficulty would increase depending on how long the players are surviving and how large their fort is.
• Villagers would be smart enough to defend themselves against zombies, joining a town would give you good starting resource and the villager guards would help defend. Also the town's iron golems.

Essentially the mod would be everything consisting of trying to create a sustainable safe habitat in an apocalyptic world.
Everything Minecraft should have been.

Edit: It'd be cool to see how long an intelligent village could last granted they could collect resources, defend, build using a structure algorithm and even mine to build themselves better equipment.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:15:52 PM by Gan »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »
Right now I'd say the locations in which they spawn work okay but variations on mobs would be cool. Zombie birds, that's a new one; it reminds be of that Fortunately-Unfortunately game we played. ZOMBIE PTERADACTYL. Zombie pirates sound epic. I almost said I don't like the idea of having super well protected villages because you could just live there and never worry about mobs, but the thing is, most players are destined to get wanderlust and eventually leave the comfort zone of Home Base and that's when things get Fun.

I say the game needs more mobs and things that you can only see by travelling to different biomes.

However one of the glaring problems is the lack of a crafting guide. I say they should implement what they put in the XBox version (it's like Terraria where you have a list of what's available for you to make). I say that because it's still very difficult to pick up and play the game without eventually looking up the blocks and items and recipes online.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:30:56 PM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »
However one of the glaring problems is the lack of a crafting guide. I say they should implement what they put in the XBox version (it's like Terraria where you have a list of what's available for you to make). I say that because it's still very difficult to pick up and play the game without eventually looking up the blocks and items and recipes online.
YissssssSSssssSSssss

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »
I've come to the conclusion the apocalypse mod isn't good enough to add. I suppose we'll have to wait for a better.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 11:12:19 PM »
IF we hold out for the API I'm sure there will be more than enough zombie mods, and mobs in general. And myriad ways to improve the crafting system.

Hell Mojang will practically have people making the game for them by that point.

It's so diabolically brilliant. o.0

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
I don't know if I can wait. I'm considering installing the Bukkit Plugin API so I can play with making plugins.

3 plugins that would be interesting to try to make:
(1) Tree seeding - Baby trees will start to grow in the vicinity of larger trees. Forests would expand by themselves.
(2) Seasons - Biomes will rotate, a desert could turn frosty, forest turn to plains over time
(3) Pools of water sea level - Over time water in a pool will increase or decrease. This one might not be possible until Minecraft makes fluids more realtistic. Finite fluids. (By that time rain could actually be programmed to cause flooding)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:31:05 PM by Gan »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
We need something exciting, a reason to play. The question is... what?

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »
Kill the Enderdragon? Make a castle?
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 07:03:56 PM »
That's certainly an option.

You guys wanna try to defeat the ender?

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »
We're going to need a lot of supplies first. Bows and a stack of arrows and a set of iron armor each. Then we might be able to pull it off. But we may want to enchant our bows. And maybe get diamond swords. Plus we need pumpkins, for killing endermen.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »
I made a Ender killing house.

We just need to stock it with weapons and ender eyes. It's on a plain so it's easier to find enderman.
Also I built a sky bridge to it.