Topic:   The future of operating systems (or right now, really)   (Read 4175 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
The future of operating systems (or right now, really)
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
This is the way I see OSes in the future:
ChomeOS: The average person who doesn't really care about gaming. I can see ChromeOS becoming a big thing with the recreational internet users who just like to do fun things on the internet like watching videos. If you haven't heard about it, here's what it is: Google Chrome. It's not even an operating system. And that's what I like about it. The basic idea behind it is this: The average computer user doesn't need a complicated operating system. The average consumer doesn't need an OS at all. If all you use on a computer is Chrome, why not make it just be Chrome. It's super fast to power up, because it doesn't have to load anything except the browser. And Google has enough in browser tools for most people to get stuff done it.

Linux: Mainly cheap people and programmers. Because it's free. Self explanatory.

Windows: Gamers. I mean look at it. Windows 8 is basically just a computer version of the XBox OS with the OPTION to use regular windows. I don't really see much of a reason for non-gamers to use it though. It's only special because it runs everything.

Mac: Graphic designers, other creative people. Macs are good for this. And the OS has the best design of any that I've seen. It's simple, and it's wonderful.

I think that it's a good thing that we have multiple OSes. Different people want different things from their computers. I only wish they'd all be a bit more open (though, from a company's standpoint this makes absolutely no sense.) I wish it was easy and cheap to put them all on any computer, but that's probably never going to happen.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
Re: The future of operating systems (or right now, really)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
Well technically, Chrome OS is an OS, but I see what you mean.  It's totally purpose-built for browser-based tasks: web, e-mail, cloud apps, and so on.  Personally, I doubt that Chromebooks will be a hit.  They strike me as being designed for people who don't know much about computers, who don't really want to know much about computers.  I know there's a market for that, but I was under the impression that that market was gradually shrinking.

I expect the Windows user base to grow and the Mac user base to shrink.  Macs no longer have an edge in terms of processing power.  Their only advantage is that they're simpler to use and less prone to viruses, and that's what makes them appealing to creative people who aren't technical-oriented.  But as I said before, I think that people are becoming more techno-literate over time, so the need for "easy" computers should be decreasing.  If Microsoft could improve the design of their OS, make it a little easier to maintain, and make it virus-resistant, then Macs would disappear completely... which isn't likely to happen any time soon, especially in light of the purple abomination that is Windows 8, but it doesn't matter.  People are learning more about computers, and they want the freedom that comes with using the most popular (i.e. most-developed-for) operating system, which is Windows.

Linux is the underdog that will never leave the doghouse.  It will always exist, but it will never reach its full potential as a "free OS", simply because of the fact that it's hard to get into.  It's kind of a contradiction: if you use Linux, then you probably have some kind of technical job, which means that you can probably afford to pay for an OS.  It will always have its uses, but it'll never be fully appreciated.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »
I like linux for building a computer for practice before I do a full gaming build, though. Windows is really expensive, and there's only one installation per disk, so...

I was under the impression that the people who are "techno-literate" was shrinking as computers became smaller and easier for the average consumer to use. Take iOS, for example. People who buy iPads aren't looking for a computer to do the most strenuous of jobs with a computer; they're looking to buy something easy to use. Tablets basically exist because companies think regular people just want a computer to work. Computers are everywhere nowadays and that means everyone, young and old, is forced to accept them as everyday tools. So these people who have never used computers before turn to the simple ones, like the iPad (or Chromebook.) I think that the chromebook will be immensely successful because A. it's Google, everybody uses it and will see the Chromebook site and B. It's a simple computer that anyone on a budget who just needs a computer for a business trip to type on or for college can afford and learn how to use.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »
I found Google Drive (previously Google Docs) incredibly useful. It's got a word processor which is more than adequate for writing papers and you can access your files from anywhere. For people who generally only need a computer to check messages, browse the internet and type things a chrome book would be great.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:44:58 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
Or a ChromeBox. Don't forget the Chromebox.

Raspberry Pi, anyone? I'm gonna buy myself a Raspberry Pi to mess around with. They have some OSes designed for them, as well. Raspian, I believe it's called.

www.raspberrypi.org

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
Linux is some cool stuff. Fast too.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 01:35:20 AM »
I was comparing the Chromebook to a regular laptop, which is what it looks like to me.  I should've compared it to the types of devices that it's competing against, namely the iPad.  (It's been a while since I saw an iPad, and I forgot that they existed.)  Compared to an iPad, the Chromebook is great: a full keyboard, free cloud storage, etc., for only $250.  No argument there.  It doesn't float my goat, but it's good for what it is.

I've been looking at the Raspberry Pi for the past hour and I WANT ONE!  I don't know what I'd do with it, but I want one.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 09:13:09 AM »
I know, right? I'm mainly getting one to mess around with, but I am gonna test it with Netflix at some point. My only gripe with their awesomeness is that they don't have built in WiFi. But that's of little importance. I can just get one of those USB WiFi adaptors.
Back on the Netflix thing, though. I have a Samsung SmartTV that I bought used a few months ago, but it's really sluggish with Netflix (considering that's what it's made for) I've been looking at Apple TVs, but again, they're very expensive. Raspberry Pis on the other hand, are not. I'm not expecting it to be amazing, but from what I've seen, they're speedy little guys. I think I'm gonna build my own case for one out of something I have lying around......

Legos, anyone? Being that Raspberry Pis don't heat up very much, I think it'd be OK to assume that I can build a case for one out of plastic. And I uncovered my old Legos a while back, so it looks as though I can experiment with that as well...

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 12:28:47 PM »
My friend has a lego USB drive. Post some photos if you manage to make a LEGO computer case. I wonder if I could make a LEGO keyboard by dissecting a regular keyboard.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »
For a raspberry pi, though. Regular PCs heat up so much that it would just melt. Raspberry Pis don't really get hot, though. and they're much littler.