Topic:   [Java] Class Project   (Read 5222 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
[Java] Class Project
« on: January 11, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »
I'm going into Java this semester, and it's going to be interesting. We get to choose a major project to work on for the semester after the tutorials, so of course I want to make some kind of game! I made the thread to post progress with that project.
I originally thought of making something that would use a tile engine, but I realised there's something I want to try that I couldn't do in SC. I think I will make a Worms type game, where explosions take away chunks of terrain. But first I have to figure out how you would store the terrain, so that you can alter individual pixels, like when you destroy all pixels within a radius of an explosion (as opposed to the ground getting lower like in Circuit's game). It would likely involve storing ground as a bitmap image and collision detection would involve color detection. Yay color detection!
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: [Java] Class Project
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »
I'd say use a 2D array of pixel objects. On draw, you'd draw all the pixels in the array.

Or have a 1D array of pixels and have each pixel keep's it's position.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »
Using a 2D array of Pixels makes sense to me.  Each Pixel could have a boolean variable that records its status: 1 for solid, 0 for empty space.  That would make collision detection fast and easy.
I just took a class in Java last semester, and I was planning to make my game in Java with 2D arrays.  The problem is, I only learned basic console programming and file IO.  I'd need to teach myself Swing and Java2D, and I'm just not motivated enough to do that.  I look forward to seeing your project, though.  (You'll post it here, right?)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »
Yes, whatever I do I'll post here. Depends on whether I decide one idea is too complex or I just like another one better, I suppose. But man I like the Worms idea a lot.
And that's not for a while yet I'm just barely starting on Java.

- Tim Rogers

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »
I took two semesters of Java in college, but we focused mostly on web development in the second semester (first semester was just the basic syntax).  I'm interested to see what you'll come up with.  Like Circuit, I haven't gotten around to learning how to display graphics or a GUI.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
They're both relatively simple. Java on web development using the canvas to draw graphics is nicely fast and easy. I made a space game ages ago in Java...

http://web.mac.com/avisaria/novaspace/novaspace.html

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »
Gan why didn't you post this before? it's pretty cool. One of the most detailed games I've seen from you, but mostly because you've been programming different things.

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Heh, I did. Except it was long ago...
I don't think anyone commented when I posted it.

This is one of the few full games I've ever made. I had to really push myself to work on it. I think I was in 10th or 9th grade...

Graphics are fairly atari-ish. I really like the pattern the enemies fly in though.

Edit:
I do remember showing it to my brother. I tweaked the game to spawn like 10,000 enemies and man... never seen so many lasers. We were both crackin up.
Edit 2:
I should have added varying asteroids. And more of em. Lots more. Big asteroids that hold 200-500... small ones that hold 10-50.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:58:18 PM by Gan »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 12:12:12 AM »
That was actually pretty fun Gan. I nearly got to 70% terraformed and then got blown up by the upgraded "prototype" ships. It seems you really need to upgrade your mining equipment sooner than later so you have more minerals total by the end. There's enough strategy to it... All I want now is a couple more weapons, like something that locks onto a target, because why can the aliens do that and not me. XD
Seriously it's a good concept, and a decent storyline. The aliens need the same planet, or else they'll be extinct, but they attacked first.
EDIT: Also, more officially finished than any of mine. ::)
Also EDIT: What do hull droid upgrades help?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:14:06 AM by Connors »

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »
Thanks Connors. :D

The ship and dock have a shield and a hull. When the shield hits zero, the hull starts getting damage. When the hull is zero, the ship blows up.
Hull droids are little spider like bots with lasers. They crawl along the hull, welding any gaps, tears and damage. They also have little claws to reconnect wires.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 01:14:53 AM »
That's a fun game.  It reminds me of Escape Velocity Override, which I used to play obsessively on my old Mac.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 01:18:24 AM »
I remember that game...
I think Escape Velocity: Nova was my favorite out of the series.