Topic:   Roguesoft RPG Engine?   (Read 74645 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Roguesoft RPG Engine?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 08:08:45 PM »
Sorry for abandoning the engine. I wasn't on the computer much last month for several reasons, including a job change and the death of my Grandfather.

I've had allot of trouble getting the spawner to work but it's nearly finished now. I'll post a demo as soon as I get it working.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:11:58 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
Man this spawner's a doozy... but I've nearly almost kinda maybe got it working. I dare anyone else to try make it in GM, I dare you!

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »
The objective is to make it so the spawner will spawn a new monster if you get it off the screen by moving away from it right?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
yea what does the spawner do exacly

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
It only spawns enemies on nodes fulfilling the following conditions:
  • The node has a collision class of "0".
  • The node is exactly four nodes distant from the player's node in both X and Y directions.
  • The node isn't occupied by another NPC.
And of course, the NPCs disappear/despawn if they exist 8 nodes in any direction from the player.

EDIT:

And keep in mind that the grid dimensions are 25x25 nodes. ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:18:49 PM by Silverwind »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 08:36:33 AM »
Eureka! I've done it! Well, I think so anyway... I've tested it rigorously all morning and at last it seems bug free. Here's a beta: http://www.mediafire.com/?myyjizayygu

The finished engine will contain much more than a nav system, but the nav system is the primary feature. I'll write a readme explaining how to harness it's awesome power with minimal ease. Games will never be the same again!

EDIT:

I'm thinking of making QoM II with this. ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:39:16 AM by Silverwind »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
Interesting. I am not sure what it is doing that makes it so good. So could you explain to me why this is so useful?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »
Sure, gather round and harken to my diagrams.

First the spawner locates all the nodes located four nodes plus and minus from the player's node in both X and Y directions. The said nodes are indicated by a shaded zone in the following screenshot:

Next the spawner checks the collision class of each node in the shaded zone and eliminates any non traversable nodes:

Then it chooses a random node from the remaining choices and spawns an enemy there.

Also, when an enemy exists six nodes in any direction from the player's node, the enemy despawns, freeing up the NPC slot for another enemy (which will spawn nearer to the player):

In this way, enemies won't just spawn in a far away corner and make the room feel empty. Neat huh?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:14:47 PM by Silverwind »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 02:29:16 PM »
It seems to me that the monsters are unspawning when they are really far away wouldn't it be better if the containing area was smaller so you almost always see at least 2 monsters?

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »
What about this was so difficult to write? It seems kind of straight forward to me...

That isn't meant to be condescending  ;)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »
Seems straight forward to me only because Sc has mutable arrays. I could code something similar in very few lines with those, they are life savers.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »
It seemed straight forward to me too when I first thought it up, but it proved much more tedious than I imagined. It'd be easy to make in JS or SC, but keep in mind that GM doesn't have arrays and I'm working on a 25x25 grid.

I'd still love to see someone attempt it in Gm. :)

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 08:24:55 PM »
Well If I attempt to do such a feat I would have to put other projects aside for a while.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »
Ah.

Oh BTW, I just learned that "mutable arrays" are technically not even arrays, they're really lists. I was working on a project for my Java class and was very confused until I discovered the arrayList class.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 05:51:44 PM »
It seems to me that the monsters are unspawning when they are really far away wouldn't it be better if the containing area was smaller so you almost always see at least 2 monsters?
I could shorten the distance by one more node, but that would result in instant despawning if the NPC's first move is to walk in the opposite direction from the player. The current distance allows at least two moves and also means you can be "pursued" if you will, by an enemy offscreen.

"I wonder if that Hell Hound has given up the chase... CRAP! No he hasn't!"
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:54:17 PM by Silverwind »