Topic:   Nightmare Mode   (Read 9741 times)

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
Nightmare Mode
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:33:01 AM »
I'm working as a writer for Nightmare Mode, a newish game criticism, news, and analysis site: http://nightmaremode.net/

I published my first article last night! It's relates absurdist philosophy to games, check it out: http://nightmaremode.net/2011/06/arcade-of-the-absurd-6343/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Re: Nightmare Mode
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »
Do you get paid?
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:40:17 PM »
Nope, but I get review copies of games :)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:53:35 PM »
Warhampster that is really cool! I like the idea behind it. I always thought that making something just to be better than the rest doesn't work anyways, it's best to make it your own best and something you enjoy. Chances are if you think your game is fun someone else will.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »
You do? That's pretty sweet. Do you get them before or after the game comes out?
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »
Thanks Connors! The article was basically a philosophic justification for exactly that ;)

Depends, I just got a reviewer account for Wanderlust: Rebirth (pretty fun co-op action RPG), which I'm going to play with some other writers and then review!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:48:57 AM »
Wow that is awesome.

Intense stuff, incredible wordage. I like.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 02:29:43 AM »
My latest article: http://nightmaremode.net/2011/07/immersive-insignificance-8569/

a response to this month's "omnitopic," weakness.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
I read that last link, and it was really good. It makes me think about how much time I put into my recent game world. hmm... what is your opinion on how to get immersed in linear gameplay reminiscent of super Metroid?
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »
Well, the problem with that is: "Metroidvania" games are immersive precisely because they are non-linear! The world is continuous; player exploration is limited by obstacles that require certain abilities to overcome, rather than by arbitrary "levels." Therefore the game is structured around "item-based progression," wherein the player searches the world for the items/ abilities he needs to explore more of the world. This formula creates one of the immersive illusions that I discussed in the article: that the game world exists independently of the player.

So, if you're designing a Metroidvania, the major things to keep in mind are

1) the world should be laid out consistently, obstacles should never feel arbitrary
2) place items logically, and encourage the player to explore to find them
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:14:37 PM by WarHampster »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »
That reminds me, here's my article from last month: http://nightmaremode.net/2011/08/elementary-game-development-9892/

It's a post-mortem of sorts of my game design class.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
Wow those are some fantastic tips. Never thought of it like that. To make a world seem independent of the player instead of centered on the player...

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:44 PM »
Warhampster I think you just saved my game. I never thought of it like that. My current approach was too narrow and linear. You're just full of amazing tips and ideas.

Ps I read the article you just linked too. And I agree that "simplification breeds creativity" I hope that'll happen with the nD. ::)

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 04:09:59 PM »

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
Its called "Simple Game" and at first thats all it says on the main screen. It starts during a storm where everything is black and outlined in white, for a macabre feel. The player is a nine year old boy (modeled after my own sibling) and sits there staring at a TV screen holding his GameCube remote and a loud noise shakes everything including the iPhone (yes its possible) he gets scared and progresses through the house, a tutorial level. to his parents room out of fright. He discovers some strange spherical portal has formed right in his parents room Stealing his mom away. He'll walk into the portal to save her, and the title changes to "Simple game Save your mother"

The plot quickly ensues around the little boy who gets warped by the portal, and finds himself enrolled in the communist space police (Doctor Fabulous reference) and get powers from the rift. The plot goes from saving his mom, to the fate of the universe, to saving the multiverse. There is also strong character development themes involved That I'm trying to display through his idle animations, and short bursts of dialog.

In short It's an adventure/platformer That I hope to stear away from the platformer style game, and have an in-depth plot that doesn't "take the player out of the game" with cut-senes
I don't know if you wanted it that in-depth, but there you have it  8)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:36:21 PM by KurtManion »