Topic:   Religion And Science <--See what I did there?   (Read 16576 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Religion And Science <--See what I did ther
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 06:08:39 PM »
42!
I'm not sure you understand the question.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
Someone told me to check out this website the other day, and it seems extremely helpful: http://www.christianityexplored.org/

They've taken the time I don't have to offer biblical answers to some of the biggy questions concerning life, the universe and everything. Worth a look perhaps!
Wow they have a lot of videos. Looks like I'm gonna have to check this out.
Thanks Silver.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 08:05:02 AM »
Yeah, it explains it in the end of the second book. The question is "What do you get when you multiply 7 and 6"
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

j

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 02:57:32 AM »
With consideration to my tendency to lurk through here only every 3-6 months or so, would it be high treason of me to necro this thread? That is, if I were to throw in my two cents, would anyone be interested in engaging? For example, the burden of proof got batted around a little recklessly, and it's hard for me to resist the urge to comment.

As an aside (seriously, I don't want to derail), are you all too young to remember the old religious debates on the original AOL forums? Ironic, because I spent a lot of time arguing in favor of religion back then, which was probably the first catalyst for my eventual atheism (ie. I actually began thinking rationally about the beliefs I took for granted). Jazz might remember if he still floats around here at all. Long overdo kudos to Flair (who will surely never read this) for shutting everyone up once with his comprehensive break down of carbon dating. I just had too much pride to admit it back then. But I digress.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Mmmm carbon(Radiocarbon) dating.

Reference:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating

It actually seems like an intelligent way of measuring how old a dead plant is. It has been proven, using objects from a few thousand years back. Proven indeed to be accurate. At least to a few thousand years.
Unable to be proven accurate past that cause we have lack of supporting documentation and written timeline to show the accurate time for an older object.

Main flaw in this: The assumption that the amount of carbon-14 in the atmosphere is predictable further back in time.

I'm sure something like a giant flood couldn't have skewed the number of c14 in the atmosphere at all.

j

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 12:44:26 AM »
Oh, good. I wasn't entirely sure where to start, and I was a little hesitant to dive in with a hodge-podge of quotes and my comments on them. So, Gan, I'll address you directly for now, and we'll see how this evolves (rimshot). For the purpose of clarity, I am an atheist. No god, no spirits, or to invoke my anime fu, there is no ghost in the shell. Do you have a central argument for god(s), or am I just up against pre-packaged creationism?

Now, if you're simply going to parrot someone else's anti-science arguments, then I may as well just park this link here to start with:

http://bit.ly/mQAkhM

Or more specific to your comments on carbon dating (just to save you some searching):

http://bit.ly/rijrTl

But that makes for a very dull debate.

It's a relief to see you cite Wikipedia, which I take to mean you consider it a reliable source, as that will make references a little simpler. Some people like to cherry pick information, and I hope you won't go on to disappoint me by moving the goal posts later.

One thing has me a little confused, however. Your own citation mentions in the first sentence that the dating method can "estimate the age of carbon-bearing materials up to about 58,000 to 62,000 years." This is notably more substantial than, "a few thousand years." I hate to make a snide remark like, "did you actually read it," but... did you?

I don't mean to inundate you with too many points to counter, so one final question. Are any of your points meant to demonstrate any truth to your supernatural claims? To me, they wouldn't seem to.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 08:17:44 AM »
http://bit.ly/mQAkhM
Whoa. That's crazy. Who in the right mind would ask those questions? Probably someone in the Westborro church... (there aren't really Christians)

http://bit.ly/rijrTl
Interesting. Doesn't refute my final comment.

Oh, good. I wasn't entirely sure where to start, and I was a little hesitant to dive in with a hodge-podge of quotes and my comments on them. So, Gan, I'll address you directly for now, and we'll see how this evolves (rimshot). For the purpose of clarity, I am an atheist. No god, no spirits, or to invoke my anime fu, there is no ghost in the shell. Do you have a central argument for god(s), or am I just up against pre-packaged creationism?
Mmmmm, interesting question. Getting right to the meat and potatoes.

It's a relief to see you cite Wikipedia, which I take to mean you consider it a reliable source, as that will make references a little simpler. Some people like to cherry pick information, and I hope you won't go on to disappoint me by moving the goal posts later.
Anyone can make a website and put data on it. Wikipedia just seems like a more respectable source.

One thing has me a little confused, however. Your own citation mentions in the first sentence that the dating method can "estimate the age of carbon-bearing materials up to about 58,000 to 62,000 years." This is notably more substantial than, "a few thousand years." I hate to make a snide remark like, "did you actually read it," but... did you?
Ah! You caught me. Nope, I just posted the first link Google found.
Of course I read it and noticed that sentence. Only problem is it doesn't provide proof of dating reaching back that far. Only reliable dating is what we know to be true, backed by historical records.

I don't mean to inundate you with too many points to counter, so one final question. Are any of your points meant to demonstrate any truth to your supernatural claims? To me, they wouldn't seem to.
Truthfully I made only 1 claim.
The unreliable assumption that the amount of carbon-14 in the atmosphere is predictable further back in time.

Yup. This stuff ain't pre-packaged. It's home grown.

j

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
Interesting indeed, you take some very big bites in a debate. I'll see if I can oblige, and be aware that I integrate my links, but the color change doesn't pop very well.

Whoa. That's crazy. Who in the right mind would ask those questions? Probably someone in the Westborro church... (there aren't really Christians)
Was that a typo? And the answer is apparently you, I hate to say, since many of the arguments you've casually alluded to in this thread are on that list. Your comment suggests to me that you haven't spent much time looking over it, and I encourage you to do so.

Yup. This stuff ain't pre-packaged. It's home grown.
That might assert I've never heard these arguments before, which so far isn't the case. And I find that unfortunate. What you would appear to be referencing, at least in part, is called flood geology.

Truthfully I made only 1 claim. The unreliable assumption that the amount of carbon-14 in the atmosphere is predictable further back in time.
Excellent! You've nobly taken on the burden of proof, and I'm excited to see your evidence. We can trade papers.

Only reliable dating is what we know to be true, backed by historical records.
And let's take a glance at those historical records, if I understand your implication, because we certainly don't want to be guilty of selective scrutiny.

By what method do you suggest we corroborate historical reports so as to reach a reasonable consensus on "what we know to be true"?

Of course I read it and noticed that sentence. Only problem is it doesn't provide proof of dating reaching back that far.
This was the kind of referencing tit-for-tat I was hoping we could avoid. None the less, Wikipedia has this funny thing about citing references, and I suppose it may be easy to miss the little [1] link right after that sentence. While I can only help you along so far, within reason, for now I'm happy to provide that link.

And even if you'd like to overlook that, not only is carbon dating not the only radiometric method (and it's not, at all, the method used to determine estimates of millions and billions of years), but geological dating isn't the only significant factor in supporting the age of celestial bodies. Via light travel time (or lookback time), a beautiful starry night, or moreover the fact that there is one, demonstrates a universe much older than a mere few thousand years. The Andromeda galaxy is visible to the naked eye at a distance of 2.5 million light years, and the furthest galaxy visible from Earth (not to the naked eye) sits at about 13 billion. This is relevant because it begs the question that if the universe is that old, why would you resist measurements and evidence that suggest a very old Earth as well? It would seem arbitrary to suggest flaws in the method on the sole premise of ancient hearsay. Again, by what method would you suggest we corroborate any particular historical report so as to reach a reasonable consensus on, "what we know to be true"? Various radiometric dating methods (such as rubidium-strontium and K-Ar) are among the means to that end, and these methods continue to prove credible in the face of ongoing peer review and re-evaluation. Now if at every turn you have to overlook the science, then you're not engaging in scientific inquiry. You're simply choosing what to believe.

Given that, it wouldn't seem inaccurate to suggest that you may not be prepared to accept evidence when it's there. I won't leave that up to implication, so I'll give an example of what I mean. Let's say I claim that the Ninja Turtles really do live in the sewers of New York. When we don't find them, no problem. They're ninjas, after all, and they don't want to be found. What if you just bombed the sewers? That's an unlikely hypothetical, but you would probably kill the Ninja Turtles. What if you thoroughly dug through all the rubble and didn't find any bodies? That sounds like a tremendous undertaking, but they must have survived and/or escaped. What a relief! What if beforehand, you guarded all the exits with people and cameras and you could somehow prove that everyone was watching, and none of the cameras malfunctioned? I might not think that you could prove that entirely, but even if you could, again, they're ninjas, and that's what they do. I have successfully defined them into existence, therefore they must exist. At this point, you can't refute my claim that something like the Ninja Turtles could exist in the sewers of New York. Notice also the modifier I added, "something like the Ninja Turtles," so that if you find something that isn't exactly the Ninja Turtles, but mostly fits my definition of them, I can still say I was right (or at least rational).

Now obviously that's just basic intellectual dishonesty.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »
Was that a typo?
Indeed it was. I was rushing my post as I was gonna be late for my morning class. I was 1 min early.

That might assert I've never heard these arguments before, which so far isn't the case. And I find that unfortunate. What you would appear to be referencing, at least in part, is called flood geology.
Hey, what can I say? A lot of smart people tend to think like me. With reason.

Excellent! You've nobly taken on the burden of proof, and I'm excited to see your evidence. We can trade papers.
Yes, I'd love to see your papers on the reliability of c14 predictability.

This was the kind of referencing tit-for-tat I was hoping we could avoid. None the less, Wikipedia has this funny thing about citing references, and I suppose it may be easy to miss the little [1] link right after that sentence. While I can only help you along so far, within reason, for now I'm happy to provide that link.
From what I see, nothing significant there...

And even if you'd like to overlook that, not only is carbon dating not the only radiometric method (and it's not, at all, the method used to determine estimates of millions and billions of years), but geological dating isn't the only significant factor in supporting the age of celestial bodies. Via light travel time (or lookback time), a beautiful starry night, or moreover the fact that there is one, demonstrates a universe much older than a mere few thousand years. The Andromeda galaxy is visible to the naked eye at a distance of 2.5 million light years, and the furthest galaxy visible from Earth (not to the naked eye) sits at about 13 billion. This is relevant because it begs the question that if the universe is that old, why would you resist measurements and evidence that suggest a very old Earth as well? It would seem arbitrary to suggest flaws in the method on the sole premise of ancient hearsay. Again, by what method would you suggest we corroborate any particular historical report so as to reach a reasonable consensus on, "what we know to be true"? Various radiometric dating methods (such as rubidium-strontium and K-Ar) are among the means to that end, and these methods continue to prove credible in the face of ongoing peer review and re-evaluation. Now if at every turn you have to overlook the science, then you're not engaging in scientific inquiry. You're simply choosing what to believe.
Aha! There we go. I like where you're heading.
Seems like you need to brush up on some of this "ancient hearsay".
In fact it even seems to align with what you're stated here!
According to the Bible, before the Earth was made it was a blob. Undefined mass.
Gen 1:1&2 - In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

How long was the earth without form and void? Billions of years? Trillions? Long enough to let a Universe expand for a while? Remember, this was before the 7 days.

Interesting facts. The Bible states the Earth is round. Before it was widely accepted and even proven.
Second thing, nothing in the Bible is hearsay. The whole New Testament is eye witness accounts written as it was happening. The old testament is a bunch of life stories, genealogies, songs(especially book of psalms) and historic records.

j

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »
With reason.
Great! Name one.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:43:33 PM by Jadaco »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
Haha, should've continue reading my post. You would've found one. ;)

j

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 08:02:39 PM »

I understand what you've chosen to believe. That's not a reason. The question is, why do you believe the napkin?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 09:12:22 PM »
Haha, here I was debating on the reliability of carbon dating and you're just wanting to know why I believe what I believe. Silly me.

I believe cause it makes sense. The Bible is littered with historical references, all proven. It gives at least partial credibility. The multiple viewpoints such as John, Luke, and Matthew(eye witnesses) of Jesus. In fact many outside documents confirming the Bible. Jesus is real, just as much as Abe Lincoln.

Now comes the next part. Is Jesus who he says he is? If he is, can all he say be true? Is there a God with ultimate power that created and loves us?

The records of everything Jesus has done is literally in the thousands, possibly more. Many documents tell of numerous miracles. Things we can't even do now-a-days. Feeding thousands with a few pieces of bread and fish, healing with a touch, raising from the dead.
If there's so much evidence of everything he's done, can what he say possibly be true? Yeah.
Some of it's based on faith, other parts are just...

...well you just need to open your eyes.

j

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
Haha, here I was debating on the reliability of carbon dating and you're just wanting to know why I believe what I believe. Silly me.
Absolutely, I'm not sure where you got confused. You believe the consensus on carbon dating reliability is wrong, and you've done nothing to advance your argument beyond that statement. I get it, I hear your claim, and whatever demonstrated this to you, in the pursuit of truth, I'd like to see it as well. As it happens, you brought the Bible into it.

Let's make one thing clear. You haven't debated anything. In the face of extensive material, so far you've only demonstrated your unwillingness to engage. I'm not trying to squeeze blood from a turnip, so if you don't want to, I'm not trying to make you. We don't have to waste each other's time while you dance around the issues.

You've made claims and cited nothing to corroborate them. Likewise, in the face of corroborated evidence (my second post was littered with linked articles), you've simply shrugged them off with barely a comment. Many of those comments blatantly demonstrated you ignored the material almost entirely. Again, I can't make you read, and I'm not trying to, but a debate can't stand on one leg. I'm a very gracious debater, perhaps to a fault, and I won't ignore or dismissively gloss over any material you care to provide.

The records of everything Jesus has done is literally in the thousands, possibly more. Things we can't even do now-a-days. Feeding thousands with a few pieces of bread and fish, healing with a touch, raising from the dead.
That's fine for a starting point. List a few of those records. Obviously the Bible itself doesn't count, because a single account can't corroborate itself (naturally that extends to you, too). Give that napkin 2,000 years and it'll have the same credibility to its claim.

If there's so much evidence of everything he's done, can what he say possibly be true?
For some reason, you've presented no evidence whatsoever. I'm not saying you presented evidence that I reject or disagree with, you just simply haven't put anything on the table. And I'm eager to see it. Again, the Bible can't corroborate itself. That shouldn't be a problem, though, since you seem confidant so many other records exist. I've shared a great deal of material with you, so please, reciprocate and provide your own. For all the confidance you exert, I'm not sure why you would continue to dodge this point.

Some of it's based on faith, other parts are just...

...well you just need to open your eyes.
To what? Your subjective account? What objectively convinced you of these supposed truths, and are you willing to share that information with others? If you'd like to have an intellectual exchange, I'm still waiting to have it. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but up to now, you've only implied you're not interested. A more raucous debater might accuse you of being incapable, or just trolling, or that you're avoiding it because you don't actually have any material at all. I'd like to give you more credit than that.

It's especially puzzling to me personally, given that I used to debate extensively in your favor. I've heard the arguments before, and I've made my own. I'm not talking about the old GM board debates, those were a very, very long time ago. I used to argue for the rational suspicion of radio waves before their detectability, or the potential for an infinite spacial dimension that encompasses all lesser dimensions. That is an intellectual exercise. But "the Bible told me so" is just Sunday school.

I hope you're willing to put some effort into your position, as we could both learn a lot from this. In the mean time, have a good evening, and I'll check back soon.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
Absolutely, I'm not sure where you got confused.
No sir, it wasn't me who was confused. This thread revival started with your comment of:
"shutting everyone up once with his comprehensive break down of carbon dating"

I've been on that subject this whole time while you just seemed... to want to do some Bible bashing.

As it happens, you brought the Bible into it.
Haha funny:
"For the purpose of clarity, I am an atheist. No god, no spirits, or to invoke my anime fu, there is no ghost in the shell. Do you have a central argument for god(s), or am I just up against pre-packaged creationism?
"
You brought creationism, Christianity, and the Bible into it. I merely suggested that a flood or possibly another nature disaster could alter the number of C-14 particles in the atmosphere.

You've made claims and cited nothing to corroborate them. Likewise, in the face of corroborated evidence (my second post was littered with linked articles), you've simply shrugged them off with barely a comment. Many of those comments blatantly demonstrated you ignored the material almost entirely. Again, I can't make you read, and I'm not trying to, but a debate can't stand on one leg. I'm a very gracious debater, perhaps to a fault, and I won't ignore or dismissively gloss over any material you care to provide.
I went through them, but unfortunately didn't see anything worthy of comment in relation to the original topic of this debate revival.

List a few of those records.
A few: http://www.garvandwane.com/religion/bible_supporting_documents.html
As well as the dead sea scrolls and even pieces of the Koran.

Give that napkin 2,000 years and it'll have the same credibility to its claim.
Give that napkin a few weeks and it'll be disintigrated, thrown away, rotting, ect. The napkin holds no truths, no eye witness accounts and no signficance.
It's a silly analogy that can't even begin to represent the object it's being compared to.

For some reason, you've presented no evidence whatsoever.
First check out the Bible. The best known evidence of all that Jesus had done. Then look at other supporting documents such as what's posted above. It'd be ignorant to claim the Bible as an unreliable historical resource. It'd suggest using one.

To what?
Open your eyes to all the possibilities. Don't just have those evolution shades on all the time.
Yeah it's a theory that attempts to explain where we came from(and fails to explain the origin of the universe) but that's it. It's a theory and way too many scientists close their eyes and put their fingers in their ears because that can be the only way. That somehow the universe existed all on it's own and through astronomically unlikely chances, life magically came together. From some goo. Specifically 11 enzymes that happened to be in the same place at the same time at perfect conditions that when mixed not only made soup but it made a complex creation that happened to be able to reproduce, eat, live and thrive. In which that single cell mutated and instead of dying out, mutated into multiple cells that spread across the planet adapting to the planet's conditions while the planet stabilized and eventually made all the creatures we have today.

In which the proof in favor of this theory is nil. Many assumptions mixed with circular reasoning and lack of observation. It's not science, science is ever changing and constantly objective. It's more of a cult.

But "the Bible told me so" is just Sunday school.
That's the first step. Don't have a blind eye to the Bible. You gotta read what it tells you so then challenge it.
That's the whole purpose. The Bible actually says to challenge it, take a different approach to this world, way the odds and ends.
Look at theories, observate, look at data but don't stop questioning. When you see something that contradicts that Bible, take a closer look both at it and the Bible.

For example, your comment on saying the universe was incredibly old due to the way light travels and such. You were using that to downplay the Bible, to prove it false. Unfortunately the first few sentences of the Bible destroyed that argument.
That's the problem, you gotta know it before you toss it.