Topic:   Advancing technology   (Read 13312 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Advancing technology
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »
15 years ago, one might have payed 150 dollars or so for a playstation. Yesterday, I went to two goodwill stores (yeah, I was really bored) and saw one at each for ten dollars. Technology has just started to move so fast, one day the iPad is the new thing and everyone buys one. A year later, the iPad is outdated, and people start buying iPad 2s. The later in time you go, the faster technology advances. The cannon was one of the best weapons for more than 1000 years, then in the 1500s guns become more available and we use those. Then in the early 1900s there are machine guns, nukes and airplanes. Or with writing technology. Pens then printing presses. Now almost everyone has a computer, and upgrades like every 4 years. It's amazing.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: Advancing technology
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 11:45:18 AM »
i agree, and i dont really like it, its hard to keep up with, its expensive. and i just recently upgraded from a 450mhz g3 a couple years ago. i like the internet but i do miss the days of super nintendo, magazines and payphones, you want to make a call? 10cents back then, no obligations, no bills, now you gotta pay 40$+ a month. internet and cable, 150$+ a month. i just miss simpler times, being out learning how to be a man and enjoying life rather than stuck in front of a computer screen all day. i believe right now is the biggest turn point in history, the introduction of computers is beginning to change the world. i remember actually useing apple iigs in first grade.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:53:47 AM »
Same, except for me it was in preschool.

I'm excited, the future is gonna hold exciting things. Just wait till lightsabers come out. iPads so thin you gotta pry them off the table with your finger nails. Holographic 3D tvs. Advanced AI tech that can drive your car for you. Supercapcitators in place of batteries, charge instantly, light, and hold plenty of energy. Or even wireless energy.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
I'm not sure whether I like it or not. It costs a lot, but we can do much more now. Advancing medical technology saves lives, and computers make researching things a much easier.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »
Unless tech companies start making properly engineered products, I will refuse to buy them. It's less about advancing technology now; it's more about letting some marketing types chuck some components into a branded plastic box and selling it at a premium to the gadget hungry public with no consideration for a) how it will be used b) how long it will last and c) what purpose it serves.

Case in point, my IBM Model M keyboard; mechanical keyswitch, curved typing angle, built in the UK 1989 and it still works flawlessly. That's nearly 22 years - which you might just call 'retro', but it's a feat of engineering and good product design for an input peripheral to be still working years past obsolescence. Compare this to the flimsy offerings from Apple, Microsoft, Kensington, Logitech etc. which have silly 'multimedia' keys, no tactile response, about half a millimetre of key travel to activation point and peel apart in 3 years. Same thing with Apple. Third gen iPod still working from 2003 with firewire support (which is *faster* than USB 2.0!), compared to the iPod Touch/iPhone which has poor battery life, breaks if you drop it out of your pocket more than twice and most importantly no firewire support which is a step backwards! Intel iMac '06 still working (sort of, optical drive totally shot), compared to newer iMac models that overheat if you try and play HD footage.

I am playing devil's advocate here, but you cannot deny that well-engineered products just do not exist anymore. No matter how far technology goes, it won't make a difference if cutting edge products break down every few weeks and are purposely made obsolete every few months. There's my $0.02.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
I somewhat agree. My 11 year old iBook works like a charm and faster than the 3 year old computers at my school. And if you ask me, The N64 classic Starfox 64 is much more addicting than many DS/Wii games.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
Agreed. Especially with the StarFox 64.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »
When I first got that game, I couldn't get past the asteroid field. About a year ago, I dug it out again and I got to starwolf. With a little practice I could soon beat it going the easy way. I want to get whoever did Peppy's voices' signature. The voice acting is the best.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
I remember a while back we had an old Commodore 64. It's got a big metal case and it's about 3 feet wide and it still runs after all this time. It's well built.
It's also so old we had to find an older TV set to use it. But it did have some fun games. My parents sold it though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:38:52 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 12:43:30 AM »
Some things have improved. Cars run for much longer than they used to, for example.

People deprecate their electronics, often before they even have a chance to fail. My MacBook Pro will be 4 years old next month. The battery was replaced twice under warranty (I think I was abusing the batteries though - letting it drain out and sit empty for a few weeks, for example). I replaced the hard drive myself with a 500 GB model because I needed more space. Other than that, it's all original, and I expect at least 2-3 more years (it's a Core 2 Duo, in case Apple decides to drop the 32-bit Intel Macs).

At least with Apple products - too many people see them as fashion accessories. I just need a durable product with a good OS. I'm proud that my computers run for so long. iPhone, on the other hand, has been disappointing. My EDGE iPhone bought on launch day lived for 2.5 years before part of the screen died (battery life by that point was bad as well). My first 3GS didn't even get a year before the mute switch went loopy and dust got under the screen (WTF?). The warranty replacement has got dust again and a big scratch. I'm just hoping something else goes out, so I can get one last replacement under AppleCare and maybe another year of use.

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »
I still have one of those awesome G5 Powermacs somewhere. Such a pretty machine.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »
You know what bugs me? Apple doesn't make colorful computers anymore.
Remember orange imacs? I think apple should seriously make computers in more than 2 colors again. They make colorful ipods, that cover-thingy for the ipad is colorful.

Why not make these again? They rule.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
Agreed.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 06:21:39 PM »
Mmmmmm I dunno. Guess I don't really have a color preference.
Also trying to visualize a MacBook Pro in a variety of colors....

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
even better, why not bring these back, mine still works perfectly