Topic:   Realbasic is some hard stuff...   (Read 6629 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Realbasic is some hard stuff...
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:20:04 PM »
I downloaded Realbasic, planned on playing around in it but realized that this thing is unlike anything I've used.
Even the code is different. It's so confusing how everything is broken into bits and strewn in all separate files.

Mike, how do you code in this? I can't even find decent documentation.

Charlo

• GMG-er

Re: Realbasic is some hard stuff...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
That's odd, it's supposed to be quite easy to get into.  I'm sure it's a lot easier than XCode anyway.  I never figured out XCode but RealBasic was reasonably easy (probably because I've taken VisualBasic classes in school).  

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:38:24 PM »
This is madness.
I've found VisualStudio classes to be a breeze and went from there to playing with XCode with hardly a problem.

I downloaded some RB examples like a pac-man game and tried to figure out how it worked but it's kinda weird. I couldn't find where they loaded the sprite images, what code ran in which order, and was even flummoxed by the way RB handles their methods, constants, and variables. It's so foreign.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:46:22 AM »
Man, I tried to respond with an "In Soviet Russia" pun, but couldn't figure out what aspect of RB to apply it to. RB is weird. ???
I survived the spammage of 2007

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »
RB is natural to me. Xcode is what's weird.

RB is logical. You want to edit the code for a button? Double click the button. Holy shyt - that's where you type the code!

I still haven't figured out where you type the code for a button in Xcode :(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:12:59 PM by Mike_Richardson »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
Yeah the double click button to write code is one of my favorite Vb.net/RB features.
Though how Xcode handles it is quite handy. In the App Delegate .m file you make a function: - (IBAction)clickedButton
Put code in it, open Interface Builder and connect that method to the button.

Many tutorials online, great many.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:18:04 AM »
Though how Xcode handles it is quite handy. In the App Delegate .m file you make a function: - (IBAction)clickedButton
Put code in it, open Interface Builder and connect that method to the button.

Many tutorials online, great many.

That's handy? What is this, 1991? Wait, never mind - they had Visual Basic in 1991.

The history of Visual Basic is interesting. It didn't even compile programs until v5.0. I assume before that, some kind of byte code system was used.

I've always thought about writing a competitor to RB, but for Macs only and using a byte code system (the closest thing might be Visual Mac Standard Basic from the late 90s, Al would know about it). I could not write the runtime in RB though because it would be too fat. The IDE could be written in RB (it would be a lot faster to write it in RB), and the runtime could be written in Obj-C, assuming there is some way to programmatically create windows with buttons, etc. and not use any nib files at all (you can do this in RB by creating a window that has one each of a button, text field, etc. that are hidden, then duplicating these controls as needed, moving to the correct positions etc.) The runtime could be targeted to, say, 10.5+, Universal, and therefore could take advantage of the garbage collection etc.

Just theories.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
That's handy? What is this, 1991? Wait, never mind - they had Visual Basic in 1991.
It's not as easy as I'd like but with Xcode 4 coming soon, I believe they've changed the process. In fact with Xcode 4, it kinda looks very similar to Visual Basic. One can only hope...

The history of Visual Basic is interesting. It didn't even compile programs until v5.0. I assume before that, some kind of byte code system was used.
Whoa, that's strange.

I've always thought about writing a competitor to RB, but for Macs only and using a byte code system (the closest thing might be Visual Mac Standard Basic from the late 90s, Al would know about it). I could not write the runtime in RB though because it would be too fat. The IDE could be written in RB (it would be a lot faster to write it in RB), and the runtime could be written in Obj-C, assuming there is some way to programmatically create windows with buttons, etc. and not use any nib files at all (you can do this in RB by creating a window that has one each of a button, text field, etc. that are hidden, then duplicating these controls as needed, moving to the correct positions etc.) The runtime could be targeted to, say, 10.5+, Universal, and therefore could take advantage of the garbage collection etc.
I like that theory. It'd probably be fairly fast and could be seriously successful with the Mac App Store and all. Plus RB is kinda slow on it's updates...
Yeah, it's fairly easy to programmatically make the GUI without touching Interface Builder or a single nib file.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
i remember that, it was silverbasic. where does all these "silver" titles come from?

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
I remember SilverBasic. I once made a 'guess the number' game with it.  It was way simpler than what Mike seems to be envisioning now.  

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »
i remember that, it was silverbasic. where does all these "silver" titles come from?

The "Silver" in SilverNetworks (and SilverCreator, etc.) dates back to the original name, Silver Moonlite Productions. The name was chosen by PapaJohn56. He was only on the AOL boards and I don't think he showed up on any GMG iteration at all. He may have posted a few times on the Plaza (originally SMP Plaza, then SNET Plaza, now SilverCreator Plaza). The old GM forums still exist (and I will put them up in 2011 or I owe Al a dollar so he might be on there too.

The GM Forums are actually the old GMG Forums, except with the GMG posts hidden. When the GM Forums go back up I'll put up the old GMG Posts as read only as an archive.

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
It's not as easy as I'd like but with Xcode 4 coming soon, I believe they've changed the process. In fact with Xcode 4, it kinda looks very similar to Visual Basic. One can only hope...

Yeah I think Interface Builder is supposed to be built into Xcode 4.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 12:34:14 AM »
SilverBASIC was possible a long time ago - because the REALbasic runtime wasn't insanely huge like it is now.

I remember a Hello World app, compiled for 68K was only 300 KB in size. For some reason, PPC apps were 4x larger.

A Hello World app compiled for Universal in RB 2009r4, has a 6 MB compiled program segment, and a 6 MB runtime. What the hell? How does Hello World get compiled into a 6 MB segment?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:34:24 AM by Mike_Richardson »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:43:31 AM »
That is strange...

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
A Hello World app compiled for Universal in RB 2009r4, has a 6 MB compiled program segment, and a 6 MB runtime. What the hell? How does Hello World get compiled into a 6 MB segment?

That's crazy!! I just compiled a Hello World app in FutureBASIC 5. Compiled for Intel Mac OSX 10.4 and up is 102k. Compiled as Universal OSX 10.4 and up is 152k.