Topic:   Wiki Leaks   (Read 3317 times)

Xiphos

• GMG-er

Wiki Leaks
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:31:41 AM »
I can really sum up my opinion on this with:
Information is power and when the government holds all the information they hold all the power.
What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:05:25 PM by WarHampster »

Charlo

• GMG-er

Re: Wiki Links
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »
1.  I think you meant "Wikileaks"
2.  I wonder if there will ever be a totally open government where all information is shared with its populace?
3.  I'm pretty sure Wikileaks is totally and completely illegal, so I don't have a problem with it being shut down.

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: Wiki Leaks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 02:16:27 PM »
As people, we NEED to be skeptical of our government. Torture is against our beliefs as Americans, but if a leak comes out and says we are torturing at guantanamo bay, then we've been played as fools, and thats our change is pushed sometimes, the fact that they were doing it behind our backs.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 02:22:51 PM »
I'm not sure what I think. On one hand transparency is desirable. On the other, it is obviously bad if data that could compromise national security is released. So far nothing of the sort has happened, all the releases have concerned things that were covered up because they were embarrassing. But, the guy that runs the organization is really a loose cannon, and I don't know if he would draw the line between releasing things that were covered up for good and bad reasons.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 05:51:19 PM »
I'm fine with it unless they release damaging info.

Info that can get people hurt.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
That's really surprising coming from you Gan, I thought that this was going to turn into another epic debate!

Anyway the situation is really interesting. WikiLeaks released a encrypted file that they claim contains lots of deep and dark secrets as "insurance," apparently they plan to release the decryption key if the founder is assassinated or something.

Then, some hacker called Jester claimed to have hacked WikiLeaks, and uploaded an encrypted file that he claims contains the names of all of WikiLeaks' sources, threatening to decrypt it if WikiLeaks releases more stuff.

This is like a sci-fi novel!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 06:13:47 PM by WarHampster »

Xiphos

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 07:57:08 PM »
Right know I claim to have hacked both Jester, wikileaks, and the USA! And unless they all pay me 10 trillion dollars I'll release my files.

I'm not joking.

(i'm joking dont sue me)

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 12:43:53 AM »
I agree with Gandolf on this one.
I am quite sure there will never be a Government where all information is shared. That Government would never last if one such government existed. The Secrets of defense would be easily figured out by enemies and the government would fall.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.