Topic:   Avisaria - Mac   (Read 20495 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Avisaria - Mac
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
how bout i challenge you, everything you do in xcode i'll replicate in sc....... in a fraction of the time......... in less code....... and probly better. this will be fun
Yeah, but zoom out and look at the bigger picture Eq. Gan has rigorously applied himself to programming over the past twelve months, and despite having received constant advice from every Tom Dick and Harry during that time to "stick with a language" he's just ploughed on with his own thing like a big sponge of knowledge.

And look at him now: he's all the way up there with Obj-C, he regularly lunches with OpenGl, he's on first name basis with X-code and, if the rumours are true, he's having an affair with VisualStudio's wife! But hush hush!

Yessir, there's very few in the world who can do what Gan can at his age. You and I may be born and bred game makers Eq, but Gan is fast on his way to earning a comfortable living with his skills.

That's what Gan's doing, and you can't really replicate it in SC. ;)

EDIT:

WHOOPS! Silver said a naughty word! ;D

Tom Dick and Harry
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:54:28 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 06:32:40 PM »
And look at him now: he's all the way up there with Obj-C, he regularly lunches with OpenGl, he's on first name basis with X-code and, if the rumours are true, he's having an affair with VisualStudio's wife!

QOTM. This made me laugh. A lot.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 06:57:14 PM »
WTF Silver... are you trying to suck up to Gan or make Eq look bad? Or both?

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 08:06:59 AM »

QOTM. This made me laugh. A lot.
Me too. ;D

WTF Silver... are you trying to suck up to Gan or make Eq look bad? Or both?
Neither. That is to say, ingendera if you're Swedish. Eq's just on his usual "Make games, make GAMES!!!" line, and as I'm pointing out Gan's doing something else.

As anyone who's ever been on the other end of an Eq lecture knows, talk, squawk and bawk about advanced languages and modern IDEs is a MASSIVE waste of time, as Eq can produce a better quality game in SC with significantly less toil. And indeed, most developers with Advanced Language Obsessiveness seldom produce anything more than a nav concept or an incomplete battle engine. But look at Gan. He isn't just talking about advanced languages, he's spent countless hours learning them and now he's starting to produce games in them, fabtabulous games with the possibility of features we GM and SC folk never dreamed of! And not just on the Mac, but on the iPhone! Say it again: The iPhone! Once more: The iPhone! It's really awesome stuff.

So that's what I'm getting at. Gan's learning all the tricks, and you can't replicate them in SC. I personally can't wait to see a few Gansoft games. ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:07:55 AM by Silverwind »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 11:10:20 AM »
This makes me really, really angry. All hail the glorious Gandolf.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 11:48:51 AM »
most developers with Advanced Language Obsessiveness seldom produce anything more than a nav concept or an incomplete battle engine. But look at Gan.
well the iphone game hes working on right now IS a "nav concept/ incomplete battle engine". it just seems comical to me cause none of gans projects ever get off the ground and yet now hes moveing to something more complex, 500 lines to make a character move around, lol. the iphone project looks good and you can make money with that, ide stick with that, but i mean, a 6 page map design topic and no maps, it doesnt look good
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:05:29 PM by EqwanoX »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »
This makes me really, really angry. All hail the glorious Gandolf.

Clarification: I'm not bashing Gan or any of his projects, just Silver's comments.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 03:53:01 PM »
well the iphone game hes working on right now IS a "nav concept/ incomplete battle engine".
lol! ;D You're right, but it's a bloomin' good one.

500 lines to make a character move around, lol.
I know, it's absolutely ridiculous, and that's exactly what puts me off every time I try to learn one of these "modern" languages with all of their "modern" features and their "modern" women. I'll bet those 500 lines went into memory management and the properties of the window, and somehow linking the window to the code and whatnot. It's rockbottom boredom for me, I just wanna make games without having to worry about how memory is allocated. And that's what's so impressive: Gan's muscled his way past all that.

the iphone project looks good and you can make money with that,
Oh wait, I didn't mean Gan could earn a full time wage as a commercial game developer just yet, I meant he could teach programming.

This makes me really, really angry.
What? But why? I didn't mean to offend you, honest, I wasn't even talking about you. ???

Clarification: I'm not bashing Gan or any of his projects, just Silver's comments.
I... what?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:28:56 PM by Silverwind »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »
I just don't think this "Gandolf is the best and you're not" crap is called for.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »
Oh, well my utmost apologies Hammy, I certainly didn't mean to imply anyone else was a bad game maker. I was just pointing out how Gan's an exception to the regular language hoppers; he's done it really well is all and I think he's an excellent role model of hard work and dedication.

Hope that's cleared up. :)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »
Uhm... This is a bit awkward.

And look at him now: he's all the way up there with Obj-C, he regularly lunches with OpenGl, he's on first name basis with X-code and, if the rumours are true, he's having an affair with VisualStudio's wife! But hush hush!
That cracked me up. :)

Sorry if I caused some anger :-/, didn't quite intend to by creating this thread.

Anyways, on a brighter note; progress!
I have successfully created a client that connects and communicates well with the server. :)
I shall post up a server and client mockup to test soon enough(Maybe today or a few days from now).
Could anyone host the server so all of us can get online and give it a go? (To do so you'd need an open port in your router so all our clients can connect to the server)

-Gan
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:20:23 PM by Gandolf »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 09:00:07 PM »
Making significant progress. I'll post something eventually.

-Gan

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
Success guys!
The server allows infinite clients to connect. All clients can see each other. Even with many clients online and lots of data flow, the server stands at less than 1% cpu usage!

Here's a preview:
Avisaria In Action!
Yes, Avisaria is one large step forward.

-Gan

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
Wow! Well done! :D