Topic:   Tetris strategy   (Read 2587 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Tetris strategy
« on: August 15, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »
I've been a bit obsessed with Tetris lately, as I've recently re-discovered my old gameboy. I also found 2 copies of Tetris. One now lives a peaceful life inside the super game boy while the other is in my regular gameboy. So I've been thinking of Tetris strategies. I made a flowchart which I might upload later about Tetris strategy. But I was also thinking of which piece was the best. I thought that it was the straight piece for YEARS. But I only think that because it's around to get you out of sticky situations. The real winner, is of course the often misunderstood but nonetheless brilliant T piece. It can fit in almost any area. Although, I also appreciate the long piece, but the game has a way of only giving it to me when I need it least. But the true most usefull piece in Tetris is your mind, and Tetris is an excellent example of "look before you leap" and you should always play for the future, not the present. I get really high scores in Tetris, because I always make decisions based on how they will effect me in the future. I always look at my next piece before placing the block. So anyway, I'm wondering, what are your Tetris strategies? Also, try typing something like that on an iPhone some time. Geez this keyboard is tiny.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
Re: Tetris strategy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »
I miss playing Tetris.  I used to play it on my Game Boy too, and I think I had it for like 15 years, until I foolishly sold it.  You're right, it's all about planning for the future, just like life.  Most of the time I would try to build up a wall 4 rows tall or higher, with a narrow empty space on the side, in preparation for the straight piece.  (You get more points for taking 4 lines at a time than for taking 4 lines separately.)  But that would get me in trouble when I get to the higher levels and the pieces began to fall faster and faster.  Other than that, I'd try to constantly keep a 2-block-wide flat area for squares, Ls, and S's, and some stair-shaped area for the S's and T's.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Re: Tetris strategy
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »
You get more points for more lines cleared at once in the GB version? I didn't know that... my gameboy's screen is partially broken, so I can't see about half a centimeter on either side, so I can see how many lines I have, but only in the tens place. It's always been about lines for me... the NES version is pretty awesome too, but it doesn't have that classic Russian folk song... I love how one of the most memorable parts of one of the most memorable games is public domain. The song is pretty awesome though... I made a rock remix on guitar... I have yet to record it.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!