Topic:   sound format confusion   (Read 2577 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

sound format confusion
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:52:07 AM »
i converted a ton of music i recorded in hyperstudio years ago for my games, i assume it recorded them as system7 sounds even thouogh it says it a "hyperstudio document"  i was able to use a system7 sound converter to convert them to wav files and holy shlt, the folder went from 40megs to 500megs, how the hell did that happen? thats roughly 12 times the size! im guessing theres no way keep it the same size?

Charlo

• GMG-er

Re: sound format confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Just convert to mp3.  WAV files have no compression at all as far as I know.

GMG Mike

• Administrator

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• mikerichardson.name
Re: sound format confusion
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »
i converted a ton of music i recorded in hyperstudio years ago for my games, i assume it recorded them as system7 sounds even thouogh it says it a "hyperstudio document"  i was able to use a system7 sound converter to convert them to wav files and holy shlt, the folder went from 40megs to 500megs, how the hell did that happen? thats roughly 12 times the size! im guessing theres no way keep it the same size?

The original sounds were probably something like mono 22 KHz 8-bit and the converter just assumed stereo 44 KHz 16-bit and bloated them up. They may have also been compressed with MACE or IMA which WAV does not support.