Topic:   iPad, iPhone OS 4.0, ect...   (Read 27560 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

iPad, iPhone OS 4.0, ect...
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:24:44 PM »
Have you guys watched the Keynote? Absolutely amazing.

Multitasking looks wonderful, all those new APIs make me excited, and iAd looks like a great way to make profit on a free app. ;)

You guys know what happens tomorra? Yes. The iPhone RPG gets the developer license. I'll be able to play directly on my iPhone instead of in the simulator and stick up apps on the store.

So what do you guys think of it all?

-Gan

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

Re: iPad, iPhone OS 4.0, ect...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:52:51 PM »
Sorry for being a noob, but what is the name of the iPhone game you are releasing ? Will it also be available on iTouch ? The forum entries on the subject are too copious a read.
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 08:12:24 PM »
We don't have an actual name yet, we just know it as the iPhone RPG.

It should be available for iTouches and iPhones.

-Gan

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:21:28 PM »
We don't have an actual name yet, we just know it as the iPhone RPG.

It should be available for iTouches and iPhones.

-Gan
Thanks for the information.
One final question  ;D : what does the licensing involve ? Does Apple verify your identity or the validity of your content ?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
The developer's license is a $99 license that gives you access to many developer resources on the apple site. It also pays for apple to test your app for app store approval. Now when you have this you can submit applications to the app store and then have it approved and get rich. This is the final step of the app. We're hoping to reach this step soon.

-Gan

airbag

• GMG Newbie

• enjoy the silence
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:23:12 AM »
You have to pay to develop and release applications for Apple's mobile platforms? That's a joke, right?

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:37:40 AM »
Yeah. Paying pays the testers of your app, for the developer resources, and a bunch of other stuff. It's actually well worth it.

-Gan

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »
The developer's license is a $99 license that gives you access to many developer resources on the apple site. It also pays for apple to test your app for app store approval. Now when you have this you can submit applications to the app store and then have it approved and get rich. This is the final step of the app. We're hoping to reach this step soon.
Once you have to pay money to make money, you know your being scammed.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »
Yet paying $20 for Mac GameMaker and never making a cent with it doesn't bother you?

You want to make a computer game right? Well then, the first thing to do is build a computer. That should take a few years, what with all the mathematic, mechanical and electrical circuitry knowledge you'll have to acquire. But wait! There's a company who've already done the hard work for you, and all you have to do is pay them for it. Sounds fair to me!

Now that you have your computer you'll want it to do stuff, and that stuff requires an operating system. A few decades of heavy research on how to manipulate those 0's and 1's and you'll be flying. But wait! There's a company who've already done the hard work for you, and all you have to do is pay them for it. Sounds fair to me!

Now that you have an operating system you can start developing your game, but all those 0's and 1's are mighty cumbersome to work with, so you'll have to write a programming language and create an application development environment. Again, cross out the next few years in your dairy and- but wait! There's a company who've already done the hard work for you, and all you have to do is pay them for it. Sounds fair to me!

Finally you've made a game, so how do you make money with it? Well, you'll need to sell it to people, and that means you'll need to advertise it. Get cracking on "Building Your Own Advertisement Agency For Dummies" and a few years down the line when you've gathered enough reputa- but wait! There's a company who've already done the hard work for you, and all you have to do is pay them for it. Sounds fair to me!

And so gentlemen, $99 sounds fair to me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:46:56 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 11:40:17 AM »
I cannot say anything to Silver's post above but a hearty: "Agree."

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
To me it mostly seems like an anti-spam and quality control device.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »
I wasn't saying it was a scam I was just pointing out most scams work by telling you that you are going to end up making a lot of money but first you have to pay us so we can get your name out and such. So you pay them and they disappear. Thus, you are out the money you payed them. I don't think Apple is actually scamming people.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:34:45 PM by Tireas_Dragon »
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 02:28:30 PM »
Of course not. But the comparison to a pyramid scheme is interesting ^_^

airbag

• GMG Newbie

• enjoy the silence
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 03:39:33 PM »
I see what you're getting at Silverwind, but if Apple's smartphones/PDA's ran Mac OS X 10.6, would you be putting that argument forward? I can see how it works as a quality control mechanism, but if you don't test your own applications then you probably haven't got the ability to compile and distribute software. It seems silly to me that you need to pay for a licence to create programs for hardware you've already purchased.

It's like saying you have to buy a licence from a newspaper to do the crossword - and when you've finished with the newspaper, you can't leave it on a bus for someone else to read. The idea of having to purchase a licence from Apple which could contain all manner of binding terms and conditions - perhaps one could be restriction from porting iPhone apps to the Android or other platforms - is rather unappealing.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »
I see what you're getting at Silverwind, but if Apple's smartphones/PDA's ran Mac OS X 10.6, would you be putting that argument forward?
Well yeah, the amount of work involved in achieving that would be substantial. They'd be more deserving than ever!

The idea of having to purchase a licence from Apple which could contain all manner of binding terms and conditions - perhaps one could be restriction from porting iPhone apps to the Android or other platforms - is rather unappealing.
I don't think a one off payment of $99 is much compared to some of the other app and game development environments. Unity can cost as much as $1,500 for example. Furthermore your apps will get more publicity on the App Store than on any other advertising network. Apple sell the game for you.
I survived the spammage of 2007