Topic:   Quest of Magic Progress   (Read 38983 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Quest of Magic Progress
« on: May 03, 2008, 04:09:58 PM »
I'm posting so you guys don't think I've abandoned QoM. ;D Progress is coming along nicely if slowly. I've only got 1 level to design, and 3 to program. I'm still tweaking with stats (as I ever will be I expect) but I'll release 1.0.0 wether the game's balanced or not.

I really wanna get to work on a scrolling engine now, as I've used up nearly all of the 7x7 grid designs.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: Quest of Magic Progress
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »
Sounds good, got an estimated time for it's release?
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »
Nothing more than a rough estimate. I'd say by next month 1.0.0 will be ready. :)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 07:49:08 AM »
A small foundation to start building scrolling off of, would be the little scrolling engine I had in Athoria.

Alias converted it to GM. Its free to use if you want to.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »
Thanks Gan. :) It's not the scrolling part that I'd need to work on though, (I built a scrolling engine concept for MF awhile back) it's figuring out how to store large rooms into a single card. I'm thinking I'll just change the value of gridlayout$ whenever the player steps on a room-change space. I'm gonna try to make the transitions unnoticeable though.

My main problem would be enemies disappearing whenever the player changes rooms, but I'm already thinking up a workaround. I'm gonna have a proper real time "enemies on the overworld" battle engine in the next game you see.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 08:07:59 AM by Silverwind »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »
So, are you still making progress?

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 01:35:59 PM »
Yeah, but it's been very slow, as I'm spending most GM time working on the Roguesoft RPG Engine which will be used for future games. I'm hoping to attempt shareware with this engine.

Keep reminding me though, as QoM needs to get finished. ;)

EDIT:

And while I'm on the subject: what do you guys like/dislike about QoM? Your suggestions will be taken into consideration for development on the next game.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 01:37:05 PM by Silverwind »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 03:22:27 PM »
I think I'll be able to release a full build beta next week. Early next week. I'm on the last level, and apart from a puzzle or two I have no revamping to do on any of the previous levels. Hurray! ;D

So, get ready for QoMing...

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
Well you could make a better AI script by making the monster move sometimes in a random direction and sometimes in your general direction like this:
monstermove = RANDOM 8
IF monstermove > 4 THEN do smart stuff
IF monstermove < 5 THEN walk in a random direction
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 05:40:33 PM »
Yeah, the next game will have slightly smarter AI. Enemies will be able to tell if they're walking into a wall over and over again and will try different routes.

I'd have to change the code on over 70 cards if I wanted to improve the AI for QoM however. Which I probably won't be doing, hehe...

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »
Yeah, the next game will have slightly smarter AI. Enemies will be able to tell if they're walking into a wall over and over again and will try different routes.

I'd have to change the code on over 70 cards if I wanted to improve the AI for QoM however. Which I probably won't be doing, hehe...
once al makes methods youd only have to change the one method

now, what i dont like: theres no real need to use the keyboard in battle ide like to click attack, and why wasnt the select button something easy like spacebar instead of "a", when a battle is engaged the characters take to long to scroll on screen, its agonizeing, they should scroll on in five quick increments at the most. chests need more gold, when i only get like 4 gold its a dissapointment. when attacking the characters should move at each other instead of a sword

what i like: everything else, great graphics, and i love the big maps and selectable characters give it replay value

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »
That's the most constructive and thoughtful response I've received. Thanks for taking the time to write it. :)

once al makes methods youd only have to change the one method
Don't I know. Long have I dreamed of my future RPG engine's code... *drools* ... *on Irish politicians*

now, what i dont like: theres no real need to use the keyboard in battle ide like to click attack, and why wasnt the select button something easy like spacebar instead of "a"
I like the idea of using the arrows to navigate the battle engine, but I agree that "a" is a rather "stand out" button to use as confirm. The reason I didn't use spacebar from the beginning is because it has no keydown return, and at the time I didn't understand the ACS command. I'll change this in the update.

when a battle is engaged the characters take to long to scroll on screen, its agonizeing, they should scroll on in five quick increments at the most.
Interesting. I'll experiment with a faster movement in the update.

chests need more gold, when i only get like 4 gold its a dissapointment.
As mentioned before, this is a very delicate aspect of the game. I still find gold balancing tedious work, which is surprising considering that item purchasing is in linear format in QoM. Chests will usually contain the same amount of gold as a monster on the same dungeon level would carry.

when attacking the characters should move at each other instead of a sword
I'll consider it, but I quite like the sword thing. Perhaps I'll add different attack icons for different monsters. Swords, claws, spell effects etc.

what i like: everything else, great graphics, and i love the big maps and selectable characters give it replay value
Thanks, I'm particularly glad you like the graphics. :D I'm really pleased with the entity sprites, and can't wait to revamp the scenery tiles.

In terms of replayability, I'm thinking of having a few of the rooms different depending on your race, and perhaps having certain rare items only attainable by certain races. (Gauntlets of Rage only obtainable by Dwarves, Cloak of Protection by Elves, and Ring of Greater Healing by Humans)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:38:30 PM by Silverwind »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »
Bonsai! I just fixed all the numerous glitches dating back to the first beta involving incorrect damage calculation with Goblin Shamans. Turns out I had merely misspelled "shaman" as "shamen" in the AC deduction code. ::)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 05:40:29 PM by Silverwind »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 06:21:07 PM »
I have actually made TONS of errors like that. Its a real pain.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 03:31:10 AM »
I thought I might be able to release the beta by today or tomorrow, but as it happens I spent most of yesterday reading the fifth installment of the Wardstone Chronicles. I'm halfway through and should have it finished by tonight, meaning I can get back to work on QoM tomorrow. I'd say the beta will have to wait until friday. I'm nearly finished though, so yaaaaay! ;D

I updated the female figure forms again and I think I've finally got the shoulder structure right. Now they no longer look like they've been lugging around sacks of coal.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 03:41:47 AM by Silverwind »