Topic:   Lost Winds - Refreshed Thread!   (Read 35941 times)

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
Lost Winds - Refreshed Thread!
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:25:54 PM »
[size=48]Lost Winds: Progress Topic[/size]

Sections will be replaced with "Done", as we complete the parts of the project. So we can literally see the workload diminish.

Members Involved (And Specialties):

Swamp7hing: Game Director and Lead Level Design. A little bit of everything.
Silverwind: Lead Graphic Artist. Also works in Level Design and Programming.
Gandolf: Lead Online Functionality and Lead Programming.
Mistron: Lead Website Creation, Online Functionality and Programming.
Al: Lead Troubleshooting. Also works in Graphic Art, and Concepts.
Ghost: Troubleshooting and Concepts.
TD: PM Swamp with what your specialty is.

Post if you want to join up, with what you can offer.

- Obeor Islands Zone

Needed Graphics:

1. Pirate Ship (Sprite)
2. Pirate Captains Ship (Sprite)
3. Your Ship 1 (Sprite)
4. Your Ship 2 (Sprite)
5. Your Ship 3 (Sprite)
6. Ore Rocks (Sprite)
7. Interior Furniture (Fireplace, Chest, Chair, Cupboard)
8. Character NPC Pictures (Sprite)
9. Docks (Tile)
10. Swirling Vortex (Tile, takes up 4 squares)
11. Enemies (Sprites)
12. Non Player Characters (Sprites - Doctor, Blacksmith, Mayor, Portmaster, 3 Townsfolk, Store Proprietor, Tutorial Guy, Old Man Lodge Owner)

- Real Time Combat System

Real Time Combat - Players can join other players in battle, XP is divided, basic RPG stuff, but all in real-time.

Enemy Item Drops:
Player Spells:
Player Items:
Player Weapons:
Player Armor:
Player Interaction:
Enemy AI:

1. Rat (Low HP, Slow AI)
2. Pirate (Moderate HP, Medium AI)
3. Bear (High HP, Medium AI)
4. Skeleton (Moderate HP, Fast AI)
5. Goblin (Moderate HP, Medium AI)
6. Dragon (High HP, Medium AI)

BOSS 1: Pirate Captain (High HP, Fast AI)
BOSS 2: Dalek The Wizard (High HP, Medium AI)

- 10 Quests

[glb][size=18]DONE![/size][/glb]

- Interiors (Stores, Houses, Buildings)

- Weapons, Shields, and Armor

One weapons and armor dealer in town. He sells a Iron Sword, a Longbow, an Iron Shield, and a Iron Armor (One Part for now).
One Magic dealer who sells 2 spells.

- 2 Spells (Heal Spell, Fireball Spell)

Fireball and Heal Glow Graphics are Needed (Could we use the HP+ from QoM?)

- 2 Classes (Human, Elf) Attributed (Human = Better with Melee, Elf = Better with Ranged) and Male/Female Models for Each

- Status Applications

Emails can have a single character registered to it. A status page tells you it's location in the world before you load up.

1. Main Window - Where the action takes place, and where you log in and out of the game world.
2. Player Window - Check your Status, Map, and Inventory in this.
3. Equipment Window - Equip Items, Weapons, Armor, and Spells here.
4. Communicate Window - Talk to players in your current zone, and check your quest log.

- Sailable Ships

At the Portmasters, you can buy one of 3 ships. At any dock, you can board your ship and sail the open waters, and get off at any other dock.

1. Novice Sailor: Low Attack and HP
2. Captain's Mate: Moderate Everything
3. Expert Seaman: High Everything

- 3 Dungeons

Dalek's Tower:

Undercroft Caves:

Claw Rock Cave:

- Coding (Player's End and Online World)

The least fun. The most needed. This is the stuff that makes the world actually be a place to play in.

Main World Grids:
Interior Grids:
Dungeon Grids:
Ships and Travel (Online and Offline):
NPC's (Online):
Enemy AI (Online):
Navigation System:
Quests (Online and Offline):
Stores:
Classes:
Backend (Online):
Frontend (Online):
Player See Player (Online):
Player Interaction (Online):
Multiplayer Battle Engine (See above for Breakdown):

- Updated Website

Last but not least, we need a website with a domain. Say, www.lostwindsmac.com, and maybe flash base it so we can add sounds and animation. How about a donations page? Hey, it never hurts. ;)

And we need to get a TOS (Terms of Service) and a more thorough registration page.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 12:05:30 PM by Swampthing »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Lost Winds - Refreshed Thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
I'm all for it. I don't own Gm though I can program in it and I understand the mechanics of server/client coding. No need to make multiple clients for each person. I have the solution.

-Gandolf

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »
(ah a list. ::)) how would you do a real time battle system? i dont mean in code but what would be the mechanics of it and why not turn based, its alot easier. swamp, you should draw concepts or design maps to get peoples interest, designing IS part of the work then other people can put it together
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:34:55 AM by EqwanoX »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:38:48 AM »
Making a list of things to do rather then doing anything is the usual reason that group project never go anywhere. It's what EQ said.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:53:36 AM »
Lw is different than a regular group project, and saying what we already know really brings moral down. If you actually said things that would encourage building it, there would be a greater chance of it getting finished.

-Gandolf

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »
Swamp did more work than anyone on LW. He practically designed all of it. Me and Mist wrote code, Swamp drew pictures, wrote the story, composed quest ideas, wrote the logic of a realtime overworld battle engine, designed the world map, wrote area progression tables, invented 2 races unique to the game and stacks of other stuff. Planning is one of the most important parts in game design, and while you can't have a game without actually doing work, you can't have a good game without planning work.

btw guys, Swamp's concepts and maps can be found on the LW site: http://lostwind.redrasor.com/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:11:42 AM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »
Swamp did more work than anyone on LW. He practically designed all of it. Me and Mist wrote code, Swamp drew pictures, wrote the story, composed quest ideas, wrote the logic of a realtime overworld battle engine, designed the world map, wrote area progression tables, invented 2 races unique to the game and stacks of other stuff. Planning is one of the most important parts in game design, and while you can't have a game without actually doing work, you can't have a good game without planning work.

btw guys, Swamp's concepts and maps can be found on the LW site: http://lostwind.redrasor.com/

:) Well said Silver, thanks for backing me up.

And to Eq - Most of these things are done already. Silver has a real time battle engine example we can use and modify, complete player models (that we can just "uniqueify" for LW, we have V6 Complete and ready to tile faster, I have a quest system for each player laid out, and Gandolf (Mist too) seem to have the chat and online functionality thing handelled.

Gandolf - Well said. It is different because it's unique. Imagine the popularity boost of GM and the GMG if we created an ORPG (or MMORPG) in the software.

We have a larger team then many game making companies (aka why we should all team together, while not abandoning our singular companies, but working on one as a team) and many more resources then we had before the GMG. Thanks to ghost, our newly amassed team (Me, Silver, Mist, TD, Gandolf, Ghost, Al, Eq, hell everyone can pitch in something) has both the size and initiative to get LW off the ground and into production again.  I'll even edit the list and link to places where we have this stuff already.

In the words of Leroy Jenkins - "LETS DO THIS". Lost Winds: Status: In Production.

Also - EDITS AHOY TO THE TOP POST!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:52:00 AM by Swampthing »

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:55:35 AM »
Hmmm... shall we go with your original idea for the battle engine where colliding with an enemy takes you to a battleground card? Personally I prefer just having the enemies attack on the overworld, but it'd be easier to fit ranged combat and magic code if we had a card dedicated to the battle engine. Maybe we should attempt your way and see how it goes from there.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »
Silver has basic monster AI created now. That's all we need in the battle system, as well as a chunk of code that allows more players to join in the battle and distributed EXP.

TD's V6 Improvements
http://www.gamemakersgarage.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1209517218

V6 Grid Code
http://www.gamemakersgarage.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1204580112

Silver has an AI demo, I know this but cant find it -.-
Also, I'm working on a character centered scrolling engine, so we could use that when it's finished. I'm just doing a few final touchups, such as making sure entity sprites scroll with the background and such. :)

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 11:09:08 AM »
Hmmm... shall we go with your original idea for the battle engine where colliding with an enemy takes you to a battleground card? Personally I prefer just having the enemies attack on the overworld, but it'd be easier to fit ranged combat and magic code if we had a card dedicated to the battle engine. Maybe we should attempt your way and see how it goes from there.

Agreed. Good stuff with the engine Silver!

More Edits above.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »
Well, while I'm working on the engine, do you guys wanna work out a simple online example of player see player and navigation? Say, 2 cards large?

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 11:43:09 AM »
While I'm away I'll do Quest Concepts and mapping concepts as well. If you guys can do that, that would be great. As we complete stuff, I will put: [glb][size=18]DONE![/size][/glb] beside each little segment. A sense of accomplishment never hurts.

Btw, is it ok if I Designate myself as Project Lead? And do you agree with everything in the top post?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:46:42 AM by Swampthing »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »
Well, while I'm working on the engine, do you guys wanna work out a simple online example of player see player and navigation? Say, 2 cards large?

Yeah, though, are we using php or a server that runs off of a computer?

If php, I can't program the way it sends and recieves data, but I can use the data to make it work without multi clients.

-Gandolf

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 12:05:20 PM »
Most likely a Server Computer. I don't know about php.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 12:12:21 PM »
If you're using the server on the computer way, what will we use as a server? We could use Sc to send and recieve data, and Gm to process everything.

-Gandolf

Edit:  I'm no good with AppleScript, but is there a way for applescript to send data directly over the network to another computer? Which another applescript will catch it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:15:33 PM by Gandolf »