Topic:   iPad, iPhone OS 4.0, ect...   (Read 27566 times)

airbag

• GMG Newbie

• enjoy the silence
Re: iPad, iPhone OS 4.0, ect...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »
I don't think a one off payment of $99 is much compared to some of the other app and game development environments. Unity can cost as much as $1,500 for example. Furthermore your apps will get more publicity on the App Store than on any other advertising network. Apple sell the game for you.

Maybe so, but still; xcode is free, and I believe the iPhone SDK is too. You could get more publicity on the App Store but wouldn't it be nice to release software through other channels? Perhaps a web based software library for the iPhone which would publicise iPhone applications online without spending as much money or agreeing to Apple's terms and conditions (which can change at any time without them having to tell you). Apple can really only maintain the pay-to-develop model for so long until a) developers start asking to release software through other channels or b) the price goes up, which would be inevitable; more developers, and more apps means more paperwork and staffing required at Apple.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 12:41:17 PM »
I like this current setup Apple has. It's safe, secure, efficient, and gives a great app store to consumers without crap.

Silver's reasoning strikes me as clear as a bell to me.

Gan

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 01:07:49 PM »
The bottom line is, if you want someone to do the work for you they need to be payed for it.
I survived the spammage of 2007

airbag

• GMG Newbie

• enjoy the silence
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »
I understand that, what I'm saying is that Apple asking you to pay for access to developer tools that are otherwise already freely distributed seems fishy. There's almost certainly a slew of developers that have paid up to Apple without guarantee that any of their applications will actually make it - because they either don't pass quality control or provide functionality already available on the native OS (regardless if the 3rd party tool is any better). It might be fine for consumers, but wouldn't it be cheaper for the customers to go directly to the software developer? Theoretically yes, but that's not allowed. You'd have to jailbreak the iPhone to do that, which voids your warranty.

The point I'm making is that it is not only cheaper for customer and the developer to buy directly from the vendor, but it should be like that anyway because developers have probably paid the $400 or so for an iPhone. They shouldn't have to spend a single cent on development tools that are already offered free of charge from the same company. They should be able to release their applications WITHOUT going through Apple - sure, you can pay to go through Apple if you want, but what I'm saying is that you should have the choice to sell software directly to the customer. It's just about their profits and revenue; the only things large conglomerates care about, which is why a developer gains little advantage from going through Apple to sell iPhone software.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
You can use the free dev tools without a license. Though if you want to get anywhere in programming for the iPhone, you'll need to get one.
The reason? Security. Whole reason there's a protected app store. In Wal-Mart random people can't just stick things on shelf and plan to sell it that way. They wouldn't allow that consumers expect a safe environment and good quality.

-Gan

airbag

• GMG Newbie

• enjoy the silence
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 03:10:24 PM »
If that's the way it should work, submit all the games and downloads available on this site to Apple for "security" approval. I mean, it's not like Apple can reject or eradicate programs from a platform for competitive reasons, right?

It's not about sticking items on Wal Mart's shelf, it's about the idea that a developer should be able to set up a lemonade stand selling software.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:13:09 PM by airbag »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »
Can't the developer start his own website and sell the application all by himself? If the person wants to sell his app at the apple website doesn't Apple have the right to charge people for that service?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
it's not like Apple can reject or eradicate programs from a platform for competitive reasons, right?
Apple are notorious for doing exactly that. They've become one of the biggest names in the business world and they go to extravagant lengths to ensure they remain so.

It's not about sticking items on Wal Mart's shelf, it's about the idea that a developer should be able to set up a lemonade stand selling software.
Lemonade stands are only legal if you make your own lemonade; you're using Apple's brewery.

I think a good way to put it is that you can't separate the bits from the marmalade. If you're happy to accept Apple's help by providing you with their amazing development kit (not to mention the astounding device itself) you shouldn't complain about their choice of product distribution. Especially since it's so darn good! ;D
I survived the spammage of 2007

airbag

• GMG Newbie

• enjoy the silence
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 03:43:20 PM »
If the person wants to sell his app at the apple website doesn't Apple have the right to charge people for that service?

Yeah, of course. The issue is that that is your only option, a developer can't just start a website and sell his own iPhone applications.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »
Why not? You can go to google and get some ads. Then BOOM almost everyone knows about your product. However, it would be cheaper to just use the apple website.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 05:01:42 PM »

Yeah, of course. The issue is that that is your only option, a developer can't just start a website and sell his own iPhone applications.
You can.

-Gan

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
Sure, if you're only targeting jailbroken machines.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »
Un-jailbroken too.

-Gan

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 08:28:39 PM »
You can.

-Gan
Now that I'm on my mac I can further explain.

If a developer can build a site, then they can sell their iPhone app from it:
http://www.rovio.com/index.php?page=angry-birds
Click the link on their page to buy.

-Gan
P.S. A big reason for apps going through the app store is because of security. In jailbroken iPhones, viruses can run rampant and even get into other jailbroken devices near. Not only that, but on the Android market they have a "Highly Inappropriate For All Ages" section of apps. Apple doesn't want that for good reason. The money it costs to put an app on the app store is well worth it. There are so many confidential things I can't tell you guys... though I can say; it's so cool.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:29:00 PM by Gandolf »

GabrielCA

• GMG-er

• no avatar

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
Hehehe... Sounds like a neverending debate.
In the end, it's not like anyone is ever forced into accepting any contracts anyway.
Creator of the deprecated plugin KeyDetect (2005)