Topic:   The Shroud of Mount Gigan   (Read 20851 times)

Redd

• GMG-er

• Silent, but very, very deadly.
The Shroud of Mount Gigan
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:15:03 PM »
Well I'd like to get as much feedback as possible, so:

TSOMG Demo (7.2 MB)

Hope y'all enjoy it!

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
Re: The Shroud of Mount Gigan
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 04:27:06 AM »
The battles are impressive. I like the fact that you can predict you opponent. I lost when battling against a howler.
The walking animations are very nice.
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:07:45 AM »
this was really enjoyable

PRAISE
first of all the quality is incredible in the graphics and gameplay. i like the full scale characters in battle and the size of the forest is emence. npc events add a lot of life and theres so many. and the battle system is really something different and you made it work well. i  like how the chests always have something plentiful, like a lot of money or numerous items.

COMPLAINTS
theres no way to skip the tutorial

cant save

encounters are a little to frequent, it would be nice if it allowed at least five steps before running the random encounter code. if the encounters were infrequent it would still be balanced cause theres so much area to explore in the forest. but alot of times ill have an encounter in just one step after a battle

alot of times ill use an item only to be hit by a wild attack that kills me anyway, the toast only fills 20hp and the wild attack does 35hp

BUGS
the boundries are off sometimes, one time i opened a chest the boundries fixed themselfs. another time the boundries went off after opening a chest

craige seems to walk over one of the chests in the dead end instead of opening it
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 10:11:47 AM by EqwanoX »

GuthanSoftware

• GMG-er

• GuthanSoftware
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »
It's a pretty nice game just easy to die you need to weaken monsters and have not so many encounters. Besides that it's great! Keep up the work!
Stupid Test Creator
Sim School Creator
Windox Creator
and more

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:56:48 AM »
PRAISE
first of all the quality is incredible in the graphics and gameplay. i like the full scale characters in battle and the size of the forest is emence. npc events add a lot of life and theres so many. and the battle system is really something different and you made it work well. i  like how the chests always have something plentiful, like a lot of money or numerous items.
I figured I'd better hand out anything that can be of use during battles as they're no walk in the park sometimes. And as for the forest comment: one area alone is easily double the size.

COMPLAINTS
theres no way to skip the tutorial
First one is mandatory, once I put in the other stories it will act as a standard encounter.

cant save
There's really nothing to save.

encounters are a little to frequent, it would be nice if it allowed at least five steps before running the random encounter code. if the encounters were infrequent it would still be balanced cause theres so much area to explore in the forest. but alot of times ill have an encounter in just one step after a battle
Yeah I guess I should tone it down quite a bit. They don't give out anything but money and items (and skills soon) so it's fine.

alot of times ill use an item only to be hit by a wild attack that kills me anyway, the toast only fills 20hp and the wild attack does 35hp
I'll fix the variables, however it's a matter of luck most of the time.

BUGS
the boundries are off sometimes, one time i opened a chest the boundries fixed themselfs. another time the boundries went off after opening a chest
This doesn't make too much sense on my end as the boundaries are static and change only with each card.

craige seems to walk over one of the chests in the dead end instead of opening it
Then I must have mistyped something. >.<

Thanks for the feedback peeps.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:27:57 PM by Redd »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 12:43:01 PM »
I really love the graphics ^_^

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »
It's a pretty nice game just easy to die you need to weaken monsters and have not so many encounters. Besides that it's great! Keep up the work!
I'll up the LP which should balance things out. Battles are challenging only until you learn the patterns (or quotes).

I really love the graphics ^_^
Thanks n_n

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »
Wow, very impressive! :D I'm still trying to get past the forest, but it's a great demo so far.
I survived the spammage of 2007

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »
Wow, very impressive! :D I'm still trying to get past the forest, but it's a great demo so far.
Thanks!

I've hopefully fixed the boundaries thing and balanced out the battle and encounter variables, same link for who wants to try again.

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 04:26:28 PM »
Wow Redd, this game rocks! Hard to believe it was made in SC, it's really great!

Reminds me a bit of Earthbound/Pokemon, lots like a GBA game, and lots of fun. One question - where's the sound? I can picture epic soundtracks and effects. And just one small complaint, in my opinion battles are much too frequent... or maybe I just had a string of bad walking luck and continuously triggered 8 battles in a row xD.

Otherwise, great game!

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »
Wow Redd, this game rocks! Hard to believe it was made in SC, it's really great!

Reminds me a bit of Earthbound/Pokemon, lots like a GBA game, and lots of fun. One question - where's the sound? I can picture epic soundtracks and effects. And just one small complaint, in my opinion battles are much too frequent... or maybe I just had a string of bad walking luck and continuously triggered 8 battles in a row xD.

Otherwise, great game!
Zonk! o_o'
I'm finding it hard to believe SC actually randomized the same number that many times in a row. I'll add something to prevent that.

As for music I did homage a few tracks way back when, now I'd like to compose something myself but it'd be far from epic. I remember making this as an intro for Gigan Forest but it got too spooky for my taste. XD

Thanks for the feedback  :)

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 05:19:05 PM »
After the battle ends set a var to 1.
In the random battle code, check if the var is 1. If it's set, do nothing. If it isn't set, do a random battle. After the random battle code, set the var back to 0 (to make it possible to do battles).

If you want more steps between battles, do the same only set the var to a higher number, and instead of setting the var to 0, subtract 1 from the var (if you do if var <= 0 then it doesn't matter if the var is negative).

I hope you understand ^^ (well, I think you already figured it out on your own xD)
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 05:29:03 PM »
In the random battle code, check if the var is 1. If it's set, do nothing. If it isn't set, do a random battle. After the random battle code, set the var back to 0 (to make it possible to do battles).

If you want more steps between battles, do the same only set the var to a higher number, and instead of setting the var to 0, subtract 1 from the var (if you do if var <= 0 then it doesn't matter if the var is negative).

I hope you understand ^^ (well, I think you already figured it out on your own xD)
That's exactly what I did. =P

I'm still trying to get this one thing balanced out, I still want something other than exploration to happen on the map.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
I am on a PC now but i will play it as soon as I get on my mac.

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 11:56:34 AM »

nonsense, just add 1 to steps every time you move, then

if steps=>5 then
let x=random(5)
if x=1 then
let steps=0
gotocard *battle
end if
end if