Topic:   map making   (Read 2661 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

map making
« on: November 24, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »
v6 makes it easier to program maps but ive also been trying to figure out an easy way to make maps. right now i import tiles as patterns, then i use the paintbucket tool and click the canvas to make the grid, then i click each square with what tile i want, and to add objects like chairs and rugs i make another layer and do the same

silver, youve made maps without the grid, how did you do that?

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Re: map making
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »
what do you mean by "without the grid"?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »
the grid lines that define blocks

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:45:31 PM »
It's a right pain in the neck. First off you gotta scrap all attempts to do this in Appleworks. (unless your tiles are 32x32 in which case it's incredibly easy. My tiles aren't though)

To start off, open Photoshop and create a new PSD document. In the finder bar select Photoshop>Preferences>Guides, Grids & Slices. From there you can edit the grid properties. Set "Gridline every:" to 43 pixels (assuming your tiles are 44x44) and set "Subdivisions:" to 1. Next select View>Show>Grid to activate the grid. (Command+' is the shortcut) Now layers should snap into place when you move them about with the Move Tool. So, the final step is to import each tile as a separate layer into the document. Once done you'll be able to copy & paste the tiles to design your grids, then flatten the image and copy & paste it into GM/SC.

Make sure you have a backup copy of your editor though. More than once I've accidently saved my progress after flattening the file. ::)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:46:30 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:55:38 PM »
oh shit, that doesnt seem that hard, ill try it, thanks, when im makeing large spaces of the same tiles ill put together nine or so and flatten them and just copy and paste that

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »
I use repTile.

-Gandolf