Topic:   Mac OS 10.9   (Read 2614 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
Mac OS 10.9
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:18:56 AM »
Yesterday I finished downloading an update for my computer so I restarted it and it began installing. I left it on all night and the loading bar seems to be stuck in one place saying it's got 14 minutes left. I don't know how long it's been in the same position. Is it safe to force the computer to shut down or restart in the middle of an update? Is there anyway I can find Gan in real life so I can hit him?
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Mac OS 10.9
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
Try restarting and resetting PRAM.

Hold down these buttons on reboot:

Luckily you should have your recovery drive that you can boot into. If it fails to install/boot 10.9, try getting into your recovery drive to fix things.

Edit:
I probably should have advised this from the start, new OSes should always be installed on a new partition.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
Alright, it appears to have started up normally now... When I logged in it asked if I would like to sign in with my Apple ID, why is that?

And what should I do now? I've never had to deal with any of this and I don't know how to set up partitions.

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »
You can probably ignore the apple ID part. It just wants to set up iCloud and Messages.

If it's already installed on your partition, you'll have a heck of a time reverting to 10.8.
You could install 10.8 on a separate partition in case the 10.9 fails to boot. Anywho, you can use Disk Utility to make a new partition. Then use the 10.8 installer to install 10.8 on the new partition.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
I don't have a 10.8 installer, I got bought the Macbook online, refurbished. It looks like it booted up just fine and I can use the 10.9 version I already installed. I should be able to install the next update after this, or just buy the actual system when they release it. Anywho, thanks for the help.

- Tim Rogers