Topic:   The Meaning of Life   (Read 8256 times)

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
The Meaning of Life
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:57 AM »
Religeon fascinates me. it really does. But the craziest part is how many there are. And they all teach their children from the beginning to follow only one faith. It throws me off, if any one group was right how can they be so divided? I don't know what to make of it.

Has any one here ever read Life of Pi? Just a quick idea of what it's about: First part, his life before going to sea, and his unusual views on religion, already it's an interesting read. Second part, his version of the tale of what happened to him after the ship sank while stranded alone on a lifeboat... with a tiger. It's an amazing book, about surviving at sea and the fantastical events that he describes, and in the end gets you thinking about a unique view on religion and what we choose to believe. (Heh, it just seems so relevant, didn't expect it to become a book review. Ah well.) Definitely read this when you've got time.

Especially you Gan. I'd love to discuss it. I always seem to have spare time.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: The Meaning of Life
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »
religion is a bussiness with alot of money involved (tax free), so thats why theyre so divided, theyre all fighting for market share. but how do you explain all those priests molesting kids? its so disturbing, and yet, whats more disturbing is when the bishops or pope find out about it, rather than kick out the priest, they move him to another church where he can molest more kids. the reason being, money, if they kicked him out that would validate the molestation claims and that would result in lost revenue. now, how evil is that?

i like when they locked that priest in a cell with that criminal that was molested by a priest and he killed him. now thats a beutiful thing.

also, they constantly add more stuff to the bible and change it around so that its relevant to todays society which is proof that the bible is just written by some guys with a mediocre imagination.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »
By divided I mean why are there so many different beliefs that all say they are the one real truth? How can you tell if just one is right?

- Tim Rogers

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
religion is a bussiness with alot of money involved (tax free), so thats why theyre so divided, theyre all fighting for market share. but how do you explain all those priests molesting kids? its so disturbing, and yet, whats more disturbing is when the bishops or pope find out about it, rather than kick out the priest, they move him to another church where he can molest more kids. the reason being, money, if they kicked him out that would validate the molestation claims and that would result in lost revenue. now, how evil is that?

i like when they locked that priest in a cell with that criminal that was molested by a priest and he killed him. now thats a beutiful thing.

also, they constantly add more stuff to the bible and change it around so that its relevant to todays society which is proof that the bible is just written by some guys with a mediocre imagination.
Whoa whoa whoa. The Bible hasn't been edited in like... 2000 years(since after Jesus died). Sure they're making different translations but they aren't adding or changing it. Just changing some thee's and thou's and ye's to their more understandable modern english counterparts.
The Bible is a collection of many books, all giving accurate historical accounts of before Jesus and after Jesus. These books were written by a ton of different prophets. And then compiled to form the Bible.

As for priests molesting... that's very disturbing but I haven't seen very many accounts of this. I believe the origin of this claim is either from atheists or very few very perverted men who use religion for sexual gain.
A similar statistic which might relate is: There may be many killing and raping in the news but the truth is, these killings and rapings are done by very few people over and over. Sometimes it seems like murderers and rapists are everywhere but that's a fallacy, they are actually rare.

Religeon fascinates me. it really does. But the craziest part is how many there are. And they all teach their children from the beginning to follow only one faith. It throws me off, if any one group was right how can they be so divided? I don't know what to make of it.
Nah, there are some religions that claim any path will get you to heaven, forever peace, nirvana, god-like-status...

By divided I mean why are there so many different beliefs that all say they are the one real truth? How can you tell if just one is right?
Wanna know how I see religions? Religions are sets of belief. I believe one of them has to be correct. And all other religions are knock offs. Like take the iPhone for instance. It's the one and true iPhone made by Apple in California. Then again look at all the iPhone Kirfs. There is a bazillion of them, except some look very alike and some look not so much alike. But they all are fakes cause there's only one iPhone made by Apple. So yeah, just an analogy. One of them has to be correct. It's just a matter of studying the build quality and looking at the facts.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:51:03 AM by Gan »

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »
your analagy works against you cause apple makes products to make money and expand thier bussiness, and so dont other corporations. i dont see your point how ONE religion HAS to be true. why? i feel its a big bussiness that preys on humans instinct for self-preservation, humans need to believe that there's an afterlife otherwise death conflicts with that instinct and makes life seem pointless. also, this notion that this all powerful god loves you gives people a sense of approval that counters the instinct of natural-selection. the idea of god is a way to trick the human mind into finding approval within itself, you feel "you matter" because "this being" loves you.

the meaning to life is to obey our instincts as organisms. as social animals, its very important to be socially competitive, this means developing strong social skills which leads to acceptance in a social group, womans approval, and career opportunities. i think the real sense of approval comes from accomplishments and progress, wheather its in your social, emotional, or professional life

i think people enjoy video games because it gives the illussion of accomplishment and progress such as gamer points, which is stupid, yet genius because people fall for it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:02:04 PM by EqwanoX »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
I don't want to start spoiling things but that book relates in so many ways...
Suffice it to say I like how the main character doesn't want to choose one religion over others, he just wants to love God... And he's a very interesting person.

- Tim Rogers

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »
The answer to the
ultimate question of
life, the universe,
andevery thing is
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »
your analagy works against you cause apple makes products to make money and expand thier bussiness, and so dont other corporations. i dont see your point how ONE religion HAS to be true. why? i feel its a big bussiness that preys on humans instinct for self-preservation, humans need to believe that there's an afterlife otherwise death conflicts with that instinct and makes life seem pointless. also, this notion that this all powerful god loves you gives people a sense of approval that counters the instinct of natural-selection. the idea of god is a way to trick the human mind into finding approval within itself, you feel "you matter" because "this being" loves you.
Nah man. Steve Jobs made Apple. You think he made it for the money? At CEO, he didn't care about money. He cared about making the best product ever. For the customer. He cared about what the customer would think, he wanted to see delight on the customer's face when the costumer uses his creation.
In fact, this analogy seems to work better now.

Everyone wants to feel that they matter. Without purpose... everything is meaningless.

the meaning to life is to obey our instincts as organisms. as social animals, its very important to be socially competitive, this means developing strong social skills which leads to acceptance in a social group, womans approval, and career opportunities. i think the real sense of approval comes from accomplishments and progress, wheather its in your social, emotional, or professional life
Accomplishments that fade away? Anything you make in this life is not permanent. It's gonna die, wither, fade, be lost, be destroyed...
If I lived just to make cool things and for the enjoyment of bragging about it... I'd be a very sad person. In fact, I'd wonder if it was worth it. Then the suicidal thoughts. Then I'd realize I hate pain too much to commit suicide. Then I'd feel too afraid of death to commit suicide. Then I'd become numb and feel alone...

i think people enjoy video games because it gives the illussion of accomplishment and progress such as gamer points, which is stupid, yet genius because people fall for it.
It's kinda strange. I play video games but I get bored. I see the points, I get more points, and I wonder if it's worth it. Yeah I got the armor. Yeah it makes it easier, what am I doing here? Then I close the game.
The video games I like are the video games that put me in a different world. That give me a deep purpose, filled with wonder and excitement and mystery and even romance.
That's why video games are so popular. Everyone wants to feel purposeful.

The answer to the
ultimate question of
life, the universe,
andevery thing is
You sir, are absolutely correct.

I don't want to start spoiling things but that book relates in so many ways...
Suffice it to say I like how the main character doesn't want to choose one religion over others, he just wants to love God... And he's a very interesting person.
The only problem with that is... which God is he loving? The one of the Christian Bible that sent his son to die to save everyone, or perhaps the pagan gods who require child sacrifice to be appeased?
You gotta know the God in order to love him. Otherwise you might as well be wearing a blindfold and trying to hug your girlfriend as she's lost in a crowd.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:02:10 PM by Gan »

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »
But it's not about Pagan religions... And he was trying to get to know god. Really you should just find the book I think you'd find it very interesting. I can only describe it so well you know.

- Tim Rogers

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »
What if all religions are correct? What if god is just an interpretation if the universe viewed in many ways (abrahamic Vs Hindu) and the way to appease him is mortal opinion (sacrifice Vs love)

Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 12:15:01 AM »
I like it.

- Tim Rogers

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:17:16 AM »
What if all religions are correct? What if god is just an interpretation if the universe viewed in many ways (abrahamic Vs Hindu) and the way to appease him is mortal opinion (sacrifice Vs love)
You would have to ignore the essential beliefs of the religions in order to believe that.  Hinduism has millions of gods.  The Bible teaches that there's only 1 God, and He doesn't tolerate idolatry.  Hinduism teaches reincarnation.  The Bible teaches that "it's appointed for a man to live once, and then comes judgment."

The answer to the
ultimate question of
life, the universe,
andevery thing is
Oh crap, all this time I thought it was 49!

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:07:05 AM »
Everyone wants to feel that they matter. Without purpose... everything is meaningless.

Accomplishments that fade away? Anything you make in this life is not permanent. It's gonna die, wither, fade, be lost, be destroyed...
If I lived just to make cool things and for the enjoyment of bragging about it... I'd be a very sad person. In fact, I'd wonder if it was worth it. Then the suicidal thoughts. Then I'd realize I hate pain too much to commit suicide. Then I'd feel too afraid of death to commit suicide. Then I'd become numb and feel alone...
everyone needs approval in life, how you get it is up to you. if you earn something you feel fulfilled weather its meaningful relationships or a carreer. i think the most important thing to focus on is personal development, because not everyone can be financially successful or do what they love for a living but what you do have control over is your own personal development, i think its important to learn from life experiences and continue developing as a person
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:38:03 AM by EqwanoX »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
Indeed.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
Eq, I frequently ask God to bump into you one day and that the encounter will change your life, but I can assure you that God doesn't feel in any way obliged to do that. God's made it perfectly clear that He considers the Bible to be a complete account of who He is and what He's about, and all men choose either to seek God or to reject Him.

I've preached the gospel to you more than once and you've chosen not to act on it: you don't believe that Jesus is alive and reigning, nor that He died in your place with the specific intent to clear any charges against you that put you on bad terms with God, nor that as a person who walked the earth He might have even cared for you. You don't even seem to believe that there are people like me and Gan who genuinely love Him and try to follow His teaching with utmost joy and gladness.

I'm doing my part; I'm still praying for you. God's done His part; He's revealed Himself fully and sorted out the issue of you being such a big sinner. Your part is realising that it's awesome.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:54:22 AM by Silverwind-san »
I survived the spammage of 2007