Topic:   Planetside 2: Lens flare, motion blur, and generally being a noob   (Read 2376 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
In my recent excursion into the realm of PC gaming, I've found myself capable of playing a game that I was really excited for before it came out and I realized that it would be Windows exclusive. This game is Planetside 2. If you haven't heard of it, it's an MMO FPS, a genre which I've been trying to get popularized since the early 2000s (upon playing Counter Strike and saying "this is great, but it's nothing like real war... Not enough people")

So, basically, it's Halo with giant servers, entangled in an endless war between 3 great civilizations. AND IT. IS. AWESOME.

You pick from classes (much like TF2 classes). You have light assault, heavy assault, medic, engineer, MAX (a robotic mech suit), and infiltrator (sniper). Medic heals and revives, light assault has a jetpack and assault rifle, heavy has a machine gun, engineer builds turrets and ammo pickups (sound familiar?), and infiltrator is a sniper.

Also, there are vehicles and stationary turrets to use with your armies.

When you start the game, you pick a race and planet, and after a brief tutorial, you're thrown into high motion blur and lens flare futuristic battle, wherein (if you're like me) you'll die. A lot.

So, I'm not very good. But that's OK, because the game's still really fun, and it looks great. I have it set to ultra settings and it's gorgeous.

Some other features of the game include "instant action" where you can be deployed to an area that needs reinforcement automatically (though you can pick an area manually from the map as well.)

The war rages on across the map, as several facilities are captured from the gigantic world. I'm on the purple team, if anyone gets around to playing it.

Basically, Planetside 2 is fantastic. And I suck at it. And this post is pretty much irrelevant because you guys all use Macs.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
Re: Planetside 2: Lens flare, motion blur, and generally being a noob
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:30:02 PM »
Not irrelevant, I have Windows 7 installed on a partition and I love FPSes.  But unfortunately, my system barely meets the minimum requirements, so the game would probably run like molasses.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Re: Planetside 2: Lens flare, motion blur, and generally being a noob
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 12:08:22 PM »
It'd run OK on minimum settings (maybe)
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!