Topic:   Gan's Resolution: To finish projects   (Read 8038 times)

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

Re: Gan's Resolution: To finish projects
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 05:15:41 PM »
I've abandoned 3 very potential projects that are(were) very far in development.
Recently I've started work on one of them and was making nice progress.
But then it(I don't know what to call it) struck, things slow and I just don't want to continue. I find excuses and I look for things to waste my time.

I'm tired of this. I've thought a lot about this over the years since I've been at the GMG and I'm sick of it.
So guys, I want to make a resolution. A resolution to be courageous.

To be courageous means to have the discipline to refuse to make excuses, to not fear a programming challenge even when it looks impossible, and the tenacity to continue on a project when it's not looking so bright.

These three projects are Quest of Magic for iPhone, HackSilver for iPhone and Avisaria for Mac.

My resolution is to have the courage to finish these three projects no matter the difficulty.
I would like for you guys to hold me accountable, to push me to finish.
Can you guys help me?
the best attitude to have to finish projects is to not be so uptight, dont think "i have to do this!" or "i will force myself!", just have fun, and make something simple thats fun, dont make high standards cause its just to difficult to work on a demanding project while juggling life responsibilities

gandalf owns!  check out "the wizard" by sabbath, it reminds of gandalf every time
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:18:00 PM by EqwanoX »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 05:28:44 PM »
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »
rofl where did you find this? And what is that song?
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 10:00:41 PM »
rofl where did you find this? And what is that song?

Go to my site.

Click "Nowhere"
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
so I checked that out, but why is that the troll anthem, and was that recorded in 1965? And whats that dudes name? These trolls never make any sense.

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
the best attitude to have to finish projects is to not be so uptight, dont think "i have to do this!" or "i will force myself!", just have fun, and make something simple thats fun, dont make high standards cause its just to difficult to work on a demanding project while juggling life responsibilities

Agreed, once a project stops being fun and starts being work, it's time to take a break and work on something that's still fun.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
For me, these projects are fun. Have always been, it's just for some reason I just don't feel like moving.
But then when I finally move I get some intense enjoyment out of making a customizable AI, or unique free roaming grid nav, or even a taste of success in having something new and different just work.

No, I wouldn't be a programmer if it wasn't fun. #1 rule, do what you love.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 06:33:10 AM »
I think your problem is that you embark on projects that are way too ambitious. You could handle them technically, but you lose motivation once the work starts getting tedious. I'm sure we've all realized that as fun as programming can be, there are those necessary but painful tasks that you need to just make yourself do. Things like making libraries play nice with each other, resolving makefile issues, finding elusive bugs, etc.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 10:29:39 AM »
You are spot on, good sir!

That is why I made this resolution. So I can fight through the dull and drab moments, push myself to code even the most mundane tasks.

If I cannot shovel away the dirt, how am I suppose to reach the treasure of excitement, success and glory?

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
Lolz
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 06:16:16 PM »
If I cannot shovel away the dirt, how am I suppose to reach the treasure of excitement, success and glory?

quote of the month anyone?

I agree. But for me doing the graphics is the most mundane task of all. I'm only fair at them, because I'm a perfectionist. But it ends up taking way too much time.

But Gan's right! I hope everyone else will take this course of action too, and revive the gmg, with all new projects, and games!