Topic:   Weird Gamemaker Glitch   (Read 15186 times)

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
Weird Gamemaker Glitch
« on: July 24, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
Has anyone experienced a weird saving glitch in gamemaker.
When I save I get the message "Can't access temporary file." After that the temp file changes into nothing and all my work is unsavable. It is a very strange glitch and the only work around is to change the permissions on the temp file to be read and write access for everyone instead of just me.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
Re: Weird Gamemaker Glitch
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »
Yeah, I used to get that periodically last year while developing ToF. It's a bugger to workaround, so I'm glad you found you fix. :)
I survived the spammage of 2007

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:20:31 AM »
I never had that happen. This is the first I'm hearing about it. I'm the only user of my computer, so I don't have any other users set up. I wonder if that is why I never had it happen.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »
Is it possible to make GM treated as the user instead of as everyone?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:28:02 PM »
You're STILL recovering from your destroyed hard drive!?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:28:18 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »
Well technically no.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »
I'm having the same problem on my new computer, and I'm the only user. It happens whenever I use the SPRITE command.
Here's the exact code
SPRITE 1 x y Data:cycle_red

Please help me I'm trying to enter the game maker contest, and I already have a late start.
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
I'm having the same problem on my new computer, and I'm the only user. It happens whenever I use the SPRITE command.
Here's the exact code

Please help me I'm trying to enter the game maker contest, and I already have a late start.

OBLIGATORY NEW PERSON REACTION IMAGE
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

x

• GMG-er

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
Here's the exact code

What is the exact error you are getting?

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:47:33 AM »
while gamemaker is still running change the permission of the temp file in the GM folder so you have access.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »

What is the exact error you are getting?

Same one Tireas Dragon explained above

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »
while gamemaker is still running change the permission of the temp file in the GM folder so you have access.
Gamemaker
would transferring the file have anything to do with it?
I used to have an eMac, which is where I started testing out, and then we bought an iMac. I transferred over the Gamemaker file over a flash disk, and I've noticed that new files don't start out with the regular graphic that says 'GAME'.
I thought that was weird, but now looking at the folder I didn't realize that I don't have the temp file anymore. Dose this mean that I have to buy the program al over again?

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 06:40:58 AM »
I used to have an eMac, which is where I started testing out, and then we bought an iMac. I transferred over the Gamemaker file over a flash disk, and I've noticed that new files don't start out with the regular graphic that says 'GAME'.
I thought that was weird, but now looking at the folder I didn't realize that I don't have the temp file anymore. Dose this mean that I have to buy the program al over again?

New Macs (actually it's the newer OS versions) don't use the file icons the same way, so GameMaker and the game files may not use the correct icon. This shouldn't make a difference though.

The temp file is created when you open a game file or create a new game. Everything is stored in the temp file until you save. Then all the changes are saved to your game file. The temp file is deleted when you quit GameMaker.

I'm eliminating this in GameMaker 4, so everything will always be automatically saved to the file.

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »

The temp file is created when you open a game file or create a new game. Everything is stored in the temp file until you save. Then all the changes are saved to your game file. The temp file is deleted when you quit GameMaker.

Thanks Al this helped me find the file (GMAKER.Temp), but I don't see what to do. I looked at the permission & it says that it is read & write. I've tried a few methods that didn't seem to do anything.

First I started by making a new game (in case I did something to screw up one of the files) and did the same process I did with the game I'm making. This didn't do anything, I encountered the same error, so I know that I didn't screw up any of the files.

Second, I tried moving the temp file into the game folder, but this only caused the program to create another GMAKER.Temp file in the 'GameMaker 3994 folder', but this is where the weird thing happened. It made another filled called 'TRON' (which is the name of the file, and the game I'm making) in the 'GameMaker 3994 folder' I don't know if this is good, bad, or me just being a noob. Can you guys please help me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:49:36 PM by KurtManion »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 12:35:59 AM »
You have to set everyones permission to READ & WRITE on the temp file.