Topic:   New RPG on the horizon...   (Read 11178 times)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
New RPG on the horizon...
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:15:43 AM »
The far away horizon. Really far.

Basically, over the summer I've been working on a simple RPG on my sister's computer whenever I go to visit. Her computer has an outdated version of GM and very outdated versions of the Roguesoft tile sets, so I never really expected the game to amount to much, just something to keep me occupied after my nephew fell asleep. However, it's shaping up into a pretty nice example of a simple RPG. Hopefully I'll finish it, as I think it'll prove a useful reference for developers wanting to attempt a "simple" RPG. I might even release the source. :)

The engine is kinda different to anything else I've produced. You'll be able to create up to 10 characters, and you can have 2 of them playing at the same time. This means that you and your friend's character can explore dungeons together. :) Also, events will only take place once per game, meaning that if a character completes a quest, it will no longer be available for other players to undertake. It's kinda like an ORPG without the online part. ::)

Oh yeah, the game's called Tides of Fáden.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:00:05 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: New RPG on the horizon...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »
Oh, and Woodhaven's working with me on this as well, so expect awesome names for towns and islands! ;)

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »
Can you post some screenshots?

Its great to hear that you're working on a new game :)

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:58:45 PM »
I'm not gonna post any screenshots since most of the content is likely to change before release, but also because there's not much about the interface that hasn't been seen in QoM. I'm still in the early stages of development, but I've got 1 out of 3-4 islands mapped. I haven't finished the nav yet either. Indeed I'm experiencing difficulties with it.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:04:02 PM »
Sounds Cool

Right now I am working on a game (Which probally won't get finished) which is codenamed: To return from the dead.

I am having troubles making zombie textures for my 3d models...

It will be a fps

Mist (PS and mac only)
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
What are you coding it in?

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »
What are you coding it in?
UNITY 3D

Mist (PS If anyone could send me good pics of zombies it would be apreciated)
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 09:12:24 PM »
Well assuming you are using a mac You can enter take a picture mode by:

SHIFT + command + 4

Then you could play http://www.website-de-hoolio.net/laststand1.html and steal those graphics although I am pretty sure they have some sort of copyright on them.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 10:00:02 PM »
I have decided to change it, you are now killing red devils (A whole lot easier :P)

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 11:23:45 AM »
Your new Devil avatar looks pretty nifty Mist. Is that what we'll be fighting in your game?

As for ToF, the nav's finished, I just need to idiot-proof one or two things such as switching cards when there's two players active at once. The engine is different to my original concept, but at least I've actually got it built and working now. Basically, character data is loaded from text files meaning you could easily cheat by editing stats, but who'd want to do that? *waves Magic Eye Gouger threateningly* It does mean that you'll be able to have unlimited characters though, so that's cool! :) Apart from character data you probably won't need to save anything, as the game features free roaming gameplay meaning GM has no "quest" vars to store. (don't worry, there will be quests, but they'll most likely be one off tasks such as "Bring the Royal Guard a dozen pirate hats to receive a reward for good service to the realm")

Anyways, while I don't want to give too much away before the release date draws near, I'll make occasional progress updates to let you guys know that I haven't abandoned it. ;) (unless of course I do abandon it. In which case you'll all be notified via plague. A dog plague lets say)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:29:20 AM by Silverwind »

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »
Your new Devil avatar looks pretty nifty Mist. Is that what we'll be fighting in your game?
Yep but the shading is all messed up and I need to make it smaller...

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »
I think I'll release a beta once I finish a bit more of the first island. It'll give you a look at the 2 player interface and you'll also get to hear the Tides of Fáden theme track, which I think is pretty nifty. :)

I might post a Jing video of it in the meantime.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »
Cool, I'm looking forward to it!

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 06:45:29 PM »
I think I'll release a beta once I finish a bit more of the first island. It'll give you a look at the 2 player interface and you'll also get to hear the Tides of Fáden theme track, which I think is pretty nifty. :)

I might post a Jing video of it in the meantime.
OSSOM

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Swamp7hing

• GMG-er

• I come from the swamps.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 08:41:33 PM »
Yay 4 jing!