Topic:   The $250 computer   (Read 8468 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
The $250 computer
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:58:33 PM »
I've recently been wondering how cheap of a build I could design that would still be a usable modern computer for anything from gaming (to a certain extent such as Minecraft, TF2, or other games on low settings at around 60 FPS, no Battlefield 3 or anything) to high definition video.

I'm pretty sure I could build one for $250. Because AMD has really nice new APUs. They're the Trinity series, using Radeon 6000 series graphics and dual or quad core processors. APUs are just a combination of the CPU and the GPU into one unit.

Here's a sweet deal I found on a case and an APU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1337562

I've decided on a small case because I want this PC to be compact and portable. The APU comes with a fan and a heatsink, as well as the case coming with a fan, so it should run at a reasonable heat. Another fan might be doable.

I've chosen to use a micro ATX motherboard mainly because they're cheap and compact. One will run you around $50 if you know where to look (spoiler alert, it's Newegg)

Newegg has fantastic bundle deals, as well, such as this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1241558

As for RAM, I'd probably go with 4-8 GB. Since the Micro ATX motherboards only usually have 2 RAM slots, you'd either go with 2 x 2 GB or 2 x 4 GB, depending on your budget. My budget is nonexistent, and this is just a guide to how one might build a $250 computer if they had $250 to spend which I don't.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130661

^ That is an OK motherboard, and it has onboard audio and LAN, so you don't need to buy those separate. I mean, the audio probably sucks, but that doesn't matter too much. I've used integrated sound for the last 5 years without a problem. It doesn't have a DVI output, but there's adapters for that.

Hard drives are tricky to buy. This build only needs a 500 GB one (my opinion), but I can't seem to find any that are much cheaper than $50. Which unfortunately adds to our cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148416

^This one is only around $30, but it's on sale. It's also only 400 GB. I have a lot of hard drives laying around, but not a lot of people are so lucky.

Back to RAM, 4 GB is fairly cheap on Newegg, so it shouldn't cut into your budget too much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820814006
^ Just one card, though. We probably want 2 x 2 GB but it's got to do because 2 cards is more expensive. Or just buy two of those for 8 GB.

Now all we have left, if my memory serves me, is the PSU. We probably don't need a high wattage, maybe 400-500. This is where you have to be really careful not to screw up, because it could kill you or worse, break your computer.

You don't want to be killed by a generic PSU. Go out with style. Or just make sure you don't plug it in until you've fully assembled it. That's honestly the best solution.

I don't really care to look up PSUs. See you 'round!

-EDIT-

Here's a good brand name PSU with a good wattage for this type of build (I think.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Total cost for this build with no OS or disk drive:
+45
+28
+27
+40
=220, which gives you 30 dollars for shipping, and if stuff stops being on sale, or just $30 to up the RAM/HDD. I'd like to say that I succeeded with this design. Unless I forgot a crucial part, which is likely.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:31:32 PM by Zoo »
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: The $250 computer
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:29:10 PM »
Now all we have left, if my memory serves me, is the PSU. We probably don't need a high wattage, maybe 400-500. This is where you have to be really careful not to screw up, because it could kill you or worse, break your computer.
;D

I didn't realize you could build a computer so cheaply. I'd seriously consider a replacement for my poor conditioned 2008 Macbook Pro if Mac OS ran on such a machine.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:07:48 PM »
Well... there ARE ways of doing it... But it's illegal.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:22:10 PM »
As for an OS, I suggest Ubuntu because it actually has a lot of developer support. You can play TF2, Minecraft, other Valve games, and even some blockbuster games. Also it has support for Chrome, Flash, Java, and pretty much everything that makes a computer work. The only real reason to have Windows is if you really want to play a lot of games. That being said, Windows is $120, so it would be the single most expensive part of your computer.

QwertzHz

• GMG Newbie

• Messing around since nobody can remember.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:28:08 PM »
The only thing that turns me away from Ubuntu is the fact that some people on the market are going to be afraid of a new operating system.
Want to contact me online?  If I'm on a service, it's always SplatMaster99.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:31:19 PM »
I meant for building the PC for personal use. If you're going to sell it, it's obviously a good idea to put Windows on it.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1241558

This is actually a surprisingly complete bundle. It has pretty much everything, except for an HDD. If you have a hard drive laying around like I do, then this is pretty much a complete PC for $188. Me and Splatmaster are probably going to order this and put it together to sell on eBay.

It seems like a huge margin for profit, and a good deal for a possible consumer to pay $375 for a PC built from these parts. The only problem is Windows.

QwertzHz

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »
I agree, although there's not much we can do.  If we don't put Windows on it, the majority of our audience will immediately look elsewhere.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 10:42:28 PM »
Welcome to the GMG SplatMaster99!

That's certainly a pressing issue. Chances are most people buying a cheap gaming computer will have an older computer with a license. You could give the option to install Ubuntu or leave it blank for them to install Windows using their previous license.

Sadly I don't game much(League of Legends is no longer appealing to me), the only use I have is to code and most of my necessary coding programs are for Mac.

QwertzHz

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 10:44:09 PM »
I don't really care to look up PSUs. See you 'round!

-EDIT-

Here's a good brand name PSU...

*Doesn't care to look up PSUs*
*Looks up PSU*

Gan: Yeah.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »
Yep. Windows usually comes on single install disks, but I haven't installed it ever, so I wouldn't know. Splatmaster's a Windows guy, so he might know.

Like "this OS will self destruct in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1..."

QwertzHz

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
Found this article.  It basically says the following:
  • Reinstalling Windows gets weird
  • There are a bunch of factors
  • OVERALL: One install per disk unless you want to break the law

-EDIT-
Oops.  THIS article: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/osproductkeys/qt/windows-product-keys-faq.htm
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:53:56 PM by SplatMaster99 »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 10:51:58 PM »
If only Windows copied Mac's form of install CDs. Buy CD, install everywhere, no serial number required.
Invite your whole neighborhood for a BBQ, tell them to bring their computers, everyone's getting an upgrade.

Edit:
PMed you Zoo

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But piracy. And the whole neighborhood would need to have Macs.

QwertzHz

• GMG Newbie

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 10:56:34 PM »
Gan, know anybody that might want a low- to medium-end PC?