Topic:   The Meaning of Life   (Read 8398 times)

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

• Sorry for being such a noob
Re: The Meaning of Life
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
What if all religions are correct? What if god is just an interpretation if the universe viewed in many ways (abrahamic Vs Hindu) and the way to appease him is mortal opinion (sacrifice Vs love)
You would have to ignore the essential beliefs of the religions in order to believe that.  Hinduism has millions of gods.  The Bible teaches that there's only 1 God, and He doesn't tolerate idolatry.  Hinduism teaches reincarnation.  The Bible teaches that "it's appointed for a man to live once, and then comes judgement"

Well if I'd is an interpretation of the universe rules then he can be viewed as one or multiple gods. Only a matter of perspective. The idol thing falls under "the way to appease him is mortal opinion" clause.
Reincarnation... You got me there. :p I'll keep thinking

Oh and silver I'm religious too, don't know why you left me out of that list, but I am :/
Everyone wants to feel that they matter. Without purpose... everything is meaningless.

Accomplishments that fade away? Anything you make in this life is not permanent. It's gonna die, wither, fade, be lost, be destroyed...
If I lived just to make cool things and for the enjoyment of bragging about it... I'd be a very sad person. In fact, I'd wonder if it was worth it. Then the suicidal thoughts. Then I'd realize I hate pain too much to commit suicide. Then I'd feel too afraid of death to commit suicide. Then I'd become numb and feel alone...
everyone needs approval in life, how you get it is up to you. if you earn something you feel fulfilled weather its meaningful relationships or a carreer. i think the most important thing to focus on is personal development, because not everyone can be financially successful or do what they love for a living but what you do have control over is your own personal development, i think its important to learn from life experiences and continue developing as a person

What's the point of building character if you died and it's all forgotten?
The meaning of life could be many things, success in some part of your life,  benefit  the world, love, being remembered, but something occurs to me

All these religions have been seeking it and we've followed their lead. They want to know how the universe works. What comes after and how to live. Perhaps the answer to life us as simple as it is complex.

The meaning of life is to find the meaning of life.

It's the personal philosophy paradigm. Nobody's the same so nobody thinks or views the world the same. And the meaning of life it to figure out what you live for and why you continue living.

Ps posting from iPod forgive auto correct and my horrible grammar.
Just your average Weekend Warrior.
Yes I know I have bad spelling, it's what makes me such a good programmer!

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 02:27:22 AM »
Oh and silver I'm religious too, don't know why you left me out of that list, but I am :/
Sorry Kurt, no offence intended. I don't consider myself religious but wonderful to know you're a Christian. :)
I survived the spammage of 2007

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »
Eq, I frequently ask God to bump into you one day and that the encounter will change your life, but I can assure you that God doesn't feel in any way obliged to do that. God's made it perfectly clear that He considers the Bible to be a complete account of who He is and what He's about, and all men choose either to seek God or to reject Him.
what happens to the people that accept or reject him?

I've preached the gospel to you more than once and you've chosen not to act on it: you don't believe that Jesus is alive and reigning, nor that He died in your place with the specific intent to clear any charges against you that put you on bad terms with God, nor that as a person who walked the earth He might have even cared for you. You don't even seem to believe that there are people like me and Gan who genuinely love Him and try to follow His teaching with utmost joy and gladness.
what charges are there against me? what put me on bad terms with god? it seems like a guilt trip to rope people in

I'm doing my part; I'm still praying for you. God's done His part; He's revealed Himself fully and sorted out the issue of you being such a big sinner. Your part is realising that it's awesome.
what issue? how am i a sinner? you mean with the romans killing jesus? cause i had nothing to do with that

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »
And the meaning of life it to figure out what you live for and why you continue living.

that was point about listening to your human instincts. as an organism your programmed to reproduce and survive, so basically, making a living and having kids is what will ultimatly give you fullfillment in life

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »
If the point of life is to create more life, then why is it worth preserving if more will spring up in it's place? Why should we live so others can live just to do the same thing?

"Old art, weather magnificent or wretched, is always the raw material of new art. The artist's job, though, is to

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 08:12:24 AM »
If the point of life is to create more life, then why is it worth preserving if more will spring up in it's place? Why should we live so others can live just to do the same thing?
thats the question that your not supposed to think about. even if you argue the other side and say there is a purpose it still wouldnt make sense cause then what purpose would that purpose serve? and what effect would it have on anything if humans didnt exist at all? it seems like the only thing you can cling to that makes sense in the world are your biological instincts as an animal to survive and reproduce. im not trying to convince anyone of anything its just fun debateing religion and life.

theres nothing more comforting than to believe in a religion but its hard for me to believe the stories that are so fantastic and rediculous, with god makeing people out of dirt and noah saving vicious meat eating animals from arctic climates and haveing the knowlage to build a sophisticated structure to carry all these animals by himself, it all seems so silly, i think it was much easier to believe hundreds of years ago when people were less educated. and christianity is so currupt with child predators, its freakish. if they kicked these guys out they would have saved some integrity but they didnt, they relocated them so they could rape more children, thats just evil
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:41:53 AM by EqwanoX »

GMG Kurt

• GMG-er

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 12:58:36 AM »
If you were targeting corrupt things about the church I'd look at the middle ages where the pope was king of the world, not some stupid pedophiles.

A lot of the stories in the bible are just stories. Parables, or some form of story.
There's an interesting spin on the creation story (7 days story) was that it didn't take literally seven days to make it. But the writter had a vision and interpreted it as seven days when it could've been aeons.

This doesn't make it fake, but just what some spiritual people did under the influence if god in their own way.