Topic:   Quiet (and what ever happened to the chat box game?)   (Read 3727 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
Quiet (and what ever happened to the chat box game?)
« on: January 10, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »
It's been really quiet around here since I've been gone. I just wanted to say that I'm gonna try to be more active again here. (because you can't get anything done without me (for example, remember the chat box game? It was really close to being really cool.))

On the topic of the chat box game, I say we ditch the idea of an MMO style thingamabob and just switch it back to the smaller circle based one (or use the current graphics) and make several minigames (like that tag one, that was fun) and have Gan rotate those out every so often, or set them on a timer to change every 10 minutes or something. Like a window that has the game, and then a "the next game starts in 5:14" counting down. Then it gives you a random game out of a pool of 5-15 games (excluding the current one running) for a select amount of time. Or there could be a vote system, vote for the next game and if no one votes it's random. There could be a vote to change the game mode early too. If the majority votes to switch it out, then it goes, but if it's even or the majority votes no, then it stays.

Just some ideas that I'm putting out there on the topic of the chat box game.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: Quiet (and what ever happened to the chat box game?)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
Chat box game's host went from free to costing money so it was taken down. I can always host it on my pc computer.

I like your mini game idea. It's much more sustainable and realistic than making a large Mmo world. Plus more action filled.

Connors and I have been working on an online cannon shooting mini game. Originally written in Processing, then ported to C++. It's multiplatform, runs fast and can handle a lot of cannons. But that's C++. I'd have to make a HTML5 client. (Cause that doesn't require plugins)

No problem really except for the lack of UDP and TCP networking, there are thread sockets but that's not as useful as UDP in action games.

Of course if I went the HTML5 route I'd use Cocos2D for HTML5:
http://www.cocos2d-x.org/projects/cocos2d-x/wiki/MoonWarriors_-_Cocos2d-html5_Showcase

or maybe:
http://jawsjs.com

Or:
http://www.scirra.com/construct2

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »
I had an idea for the chat box game, like tag but in a Pac Man style maze.
Maybe I can put that together in HTML5 GM.

But for now I should see if I can't make my platforming engine work better. Gan gave me some ideas when he took over the project and then made his own engine. (For once I'm gonna not start a new project yet)

Gan, I'll still work with you on your project, but at this point the only part that's still mine... is the graphics.

I'm still annoyed about Ludum Dare.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:58:50 PM by Connors »
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
How about some kinda deathmatch like where the circles shoot other circles in the direction you click, and you have to go kill other circles... fun and simple. And maybe some form of map, like squares to use as cover.

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:55:19 PM »
Ahahahahahahahaa

Zoo, you're a mind reader.

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »
Well, maybe the idea was planted in your mind when I suggested we make an online mode of space marine   ;D

IDEAS:

There could be a racing game too, with a couple of simple tracks, maybe some Mario Kart style powerups

And there could be a multiplayer drawing sort of a tool built in too (for when I have epic ideas that can't be put into words)

Maybe a team zombie survival game (green circles come in, shoot them to kill them, if they touch you, you become a zombie)

Hangman? Everyone loves a little hangman.

Interactive musical tool/game thing? Like a piano and you click the keys to make notes, and maybe a drum kit too

Some sort of a fighting game (like SSB, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, ect.)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »
Haha good ideas. After I get the first mini game up, we can start on adding more.

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 01:27:56 AM »
Is this gonna be a thing or has focus shifted to QoM? I like when everyone's focused in one area is all.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »
Things will come slowly. Multitasking bewteen projects at the moment.