Topic:   I'm All Right   (Read 2349 times)

Zoo

• GMG Extraordinaire

• My Bandcamp
I'm All Right
« on: March 27, 2012, 06:01:03 PM »
Here's a try at a short story. Enjoy. BTW, I spelled some things wrong. WARNING Rated S for Silly for Intense sillyness and blood and gore.

I'm All Right
a short story by Josh Beck

One day Steven the fisherman was out on the lake. Suddenly, he felt a tug on the line. This was his finest moment. This was his chance to catch the biggest fish in the lake. Known as "Limb-ripper" the fish was estimated to weigh over 200 pounds and had been last seen near the swimming area. Due to his recent attacks he was labeled as a public menace and there was a $50.00 reward on his head.
   Steven's heart was beating a mile a minute as he reeled as fast as he could and pulled with all the strength his fictional arms had (of course, he was entirely fictional) A normal person might assume that the line would break and he would lose the best catch of the decade, but having purchased military grade titanium wire instead of fishing line, and having reinforced his pole with an exterior metal armor (or something like that, I don't want to go in to detail, risking losing my audience (my biggest catch of the decade (parentheception(Noun, Par•enth•e•sept•shun, 1. A parenthese within a parenthese 2. a sandwich copyrighted by Joe Sandwich Co. 1982)))) he wasn't worried.
   The small fishing vessel capsized. He was now in the water with this terror of the lake. He swam as fast as he could to shore, but it was too late. CHOMP. He had lost his entire left side to the beast. Luckily, he was right-organed and lost none of the vital ones. Just a kidney and a lot of blood.
   He was barely alive when he washed up on shore and fell into a deep sleep.
   He woke up in a hospital bed a couple days later. When he came to, all of the previous occurrences seemed like a distant dream. He wiggled his right leg. He wiggled his left leg.  He was in perfect working order. Why was he in a hospital? He got up, about to leave when he heard a clicking noise. He took a step. CLICK. Another step. Click click. He jogged a few feet. The clicking was unbearable.
   Suddenly he realized there was a robotic leg attached to him. The nurse came in.
      "How are you doing?" she said.
      "What the-" he half grumbled.
      "Huh?"
      "WHERE AM I?!?!?"
      "Calm down sir, you're going to be OK."
      "NO I'M NOT! THIS CLICKING WILL DRIVE ME NUTSO! IF I HAD TO LISTEN TO THAT FOR MY WHOLE LIFE, I'D BE IN A MENTAL INSTITUTION, RATHER THAN A HOSPITAL!!! TAKE IT OFF ME!!!!"
   The leg was removed and they brought him home, wheelchair and all. His neighbor started talking to him over the fence.
      "What happened to you?" he said with mock-sincerity.
      "Fishing accident," Steven grumbled.
      "Oh my. How are you?" He asked, genuinely curious.
      "I'm ALL RIGHT," he shouted fighting back tears as he laughed.
   The nurse wheeled him back in to the car and took him back to the hospital where he was dubbed mentally unstable, and they put him in a mental institution.
Kirby, your pudgy buddy from dream land, is back again on the game boy®!

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: I'm All Right
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:07:56 PM »
Haha. That's funny.
I like the random definition in the middle.

Circuit

• GMG-er

• blast from the past
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:10:55 AM »
"Right-organed"... LOL!

Connors

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• It's a secret to everyone...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »
Hells yeah I laughed.

On a slight tangent the whole clicking sound thing could be a great element for a more serious story. A man has a leg like that for a while and it's ironic because he starts to loathe using it and hearing the sounds it makes.
Warning: The above post may have been modified multiple times.

"In a great game, the character must never perfectly obey the user's command"
 - Tim Rogers

http://connorspuzzles.tumblr.com/