Topic:   The "Other" GM is coming to mac   (Read 17990 times)

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
Re: The "Other" GM is coming to mac
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »
I'm currently beta testing for their Gamemaker. I gotta admit, it's pretty shabby, but it's got some good points. The output is excellent, it's got 3D capabilities, smooth scrolling, an awesome feature which lets you walk across a 3D-ish landscape (think Starfox for SNES) and I believe it can go fullscreen. Sprites, rooms, everything. The lot. Imagine a better version of Klik and Play... okay, now turn the monitor upside down and rearrange the interface so it makes no sense at all. Working with the program is horrible! I've never seen anything so bad in my life! Constant divisions by zero, 'access violations' and no previewing of anything. There's no help manual either. Go ahead, scream for mercy, you won't get it.

Now this certainly won't be the last time I comment on this program. I'd be shocked if anyone paid $15 for this. For a PC app, sure, but this just isn't up to Mac standards... ugh...

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »
So in other words it has a useless interface and you can't imagine anyone making a game with it.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »
I'm currently beta testing for their Gamemaker. I gotta admit, it's pretty shabby, but it's got some good points. The output is excellent, it's got 3D capabilities, smooth scrolling, an awesome feature which lets you walk across a 3D-ish landscape (think Starfox for SNES) and I believe it can go fullscreen. Sprites, rooms, everything. The lot. Imagine a better version of Klik and Play... okay, now turn the monitor upside down and rearrange the interface so it makes no sense at all. Working with the program is horrible! I've never seen anything so bad in my life! Constant divisions by zero, 'access violations' and no previewing of anything. There's no help manual either. Go ahead, scream for mercy, you won't get it.

Now this certainly won't be the last time I comment on this program. I'd be shocked if anyone paid $15 for this. For a PC app, sure, but this just isn't up to Mac standards... ugh...
where can i see screens of the interface and 3d capabilities? i just want to see what it looks like

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 05:28:53 PM »
Is it identical to the PC version, 'cause the PC version is actually quite well done...

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

Al Staffieri

• GMG-er

• no avatar

• I love GameMaker
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »
I tried the Windows version maybe 2 years ago on my parents PC. I didn't really understand it. It seemed very confusing. But then again I didn't spend a lot of time trying to learn it either. There didn't seem to be any tutorial or help with getting started and that turned me off. maybe I'll look at it again and spend some more time with it.

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 06:03:18 PM »
This is what it looks like on the PC:
http://screencast.com/t/2MMQS4aktLv

The biggest difference is the object-orientedness.

GMFM is procedural, not OOD

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2008, 07:47:45 AM »
it looks like it theres no codeing involved, im on a pc right now can you post a link to some games made with this

Mystor

• GMG-er

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2008, 08:04:03 AM »
You can easily code in GM.

http://screencast.com/t/QS5nXDIIk

But many games don't require it.

If you are looking for games made in the other GM visit yoyogames.com

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2008, 08:14:40 AM »
i just looked on youtube and uhhh..... the windows gm looks like it pwns. i even saw an rts and shooting game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdgQyOIyWPY

holy shit a mario 3 remake?! is this real?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqbWUKYTLm0&feature=related
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 08:16:26 AM by EqwanoX »

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 11:25:39 AM »
What is the code like? Does it help you learn other languages.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Telstar5

• GMG-er

• The sun is up, the sky is blue...
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 02:58:39 PM »
Hit me up on MSN if you want to try the copy I have.

MSN: theradixcomplement@gmail.com

I'd post a download link but I might get sued  :-/

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2008, 04:51:49 PM »
I have used the windows GameMaker extensively and it is a lot more flexible than "our" gamemaker.  The scripting language is at least as expansive as "ours" as well.  "Our" GameMaker is kind of inaccessible if people want to simply make their ideas into playable games without all kinds of obstacles and compromises.  Unfortunately, there will be a lot more crappy games, but think about the early era of Mac GameMaker...there were TONS of horrible games being released.

I, for one, am very happy with this, although the fact that their names are the same will cause a lot of confusion.

alias

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »
meh GM v4 will own it

Gnome

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »
meh GM v4 will own it
It better, otherwise GM may be overshadowed and die.
This Cannot be, NOOOOOOOO!!!!

-Gnomes Cry when the McRib was discontinued again.

Charlo

• GMG-er

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »
meh GM v4 will own it
Unless Al's GameMaker 4 can make more than card-based RPGs, adventure games, and simple shooters, this GameMaker will reign supreme.  I doubt our GameMaker will ever die, but it certainly won't get much more popular than it is now.