Topic:   The Shroud of Mount Gigan   (Read 21616 times)

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
Re: The Shroud of Mount Gigan
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »
It's just another method of doing the same thing.
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Redd

• GMG-er

• Silent, but very, very deadly.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 11:49:28 AM »
It felt like the battle system used was a half-success, so it's being altered to something simpler:

>Work In Progress<

I'll use the one-on-one for story purposes. Comments?

Teruri

• GMG-er

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 11:58:37 AM »
I really liked the drawn version of the character. And the predicting the opponent is gone? :/ That part was really innovative. However the animation is sweet! I really enoyed it. And the are you sure part is a nice addition too. :D

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 12:31:27 PM »
I really liked the old battle engine, but I'm liking the looks of the new one too. I'd expect the "are you sure?" thing to get repetitive fast though, but that's just my opinion.

The small player sprites look a little strange standing before a giant monster, but the attack animation is cool. :)
I survived the spammage of 2007

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
I really liked the drawn version of the character. And the predicting the opponent is gone? :/ That part was really innovative. However the animation is sweet! I really enoyed it. And the are you sure part is a nice addition too. :D
Of course those are the regular encounters, the older system will be used but not as often to break the gameplay flow.

I really liked the old battle engine, but I'm liking the looks of the new one too. I'd expect the "are you sure?" thing to get repetitive fast though, but that's just my opinion.
It's unfinished as the text field is supposed to show the orders for each character. I'll be adding an option to skip that part regardless. :P

The small player sprites look a little strange standing before a giant monster, but the attack animation is cool. :)
Hah yeah, I thought it best to finish the engine before drawing the enemies again.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 03:23:43 PM »
I actually like that style, it reminds me of the older final fantasys.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 11:21:51 AM »
thats cool, i like the old system a little more, but both in one game is even better. if your haveing trouble displaying damage in the text box, you should try displaying the damage as sprites with that system samus made on snet, its only a few extra lines and the player doesnt have to take their eyes off the graphic box
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:26:07 AM by EqwanoX »

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 12:23:47 PM »
if your haveing trouble displaying damage in the text box, you should try displaying the damage as sprites with that system samus made on snet, its only a few extra lines and the player doesnt have to take their eyes off the graphic box
Actually I'm still debating this one, it's possible I'll include both in some way.

Teruri

• GMG-er

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 01:54:45 PM »
You could do random encounters with the new one, and boss battles with the old one (but in the new style, with the animations and without the drawings)

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »
You could do random encounters with the new one, and boss battles with the old one (but in the new style, with the animations and without the drawings)
I'll be going back to the way it was in the very first version by doing this. Except I had the appropriate (poorly-drawn) sprites back then. =P

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »
Out of interest Redd, seeing as how you seem to be a pretty nifty developer; how do you find stat balancing? As in balancing the strength of enemies throughout a game? Do you have any trouble with it? Or advice to someone who does? (me for example)

I'm always interested in others' opinions on stat balancing, as it's the most difficult task in game design for me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:23:58 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »
Interesting questions there Silver. Here's the best answer I can give, it may not make much sense:

how do you find stat balancing? As in balancing the strength of enemies throughout a game? Do you have any trouble with it? Or advice to someone who does? (me for example)
Really I don't have any advice to give other than to find a comfortable way to tackle it. I find it challenging until the numbers start to add up.

I never mess with numbers in games before coming up with an equation for damage. Consider that the guideline I use for stat growth in both the player and enemy's terms. This is what I'm using for this game (omg algebra!):

(a*c) - b

a - Attack power
b - Opponent's defense
c - Critical modifier, can be 1 or 1.5 - 2

Next I give the stats a limit (255 in this case, doesn't include HP and MP) and work out a randomized growth:

Level 2 through 19: 3 - 4
Level 20 through 59: 2 - 3
Level 60 through 99: 0 - 1

This will add a minimum of 134 and a maximum of 232 to the base stats for each character. You'll be extremely lucky to have two identical values.

Usually I use this method for the enemies as I want them to be in the same range as the player. If their stats significantly outgrow the player's, then they get reduced to something more reasonable, that way damage won't hit the negative.

Now if the game has upgradable weapons and armor the enemies will get higher numbers (usually multiplied by any number between 1.5 and 2.2) to match the real attack and defense values for the player.

The enemies' stats are averaged through their levels using those numbers then checked and fixed.

As for health and magic, you're free to make the encounters as long or short as you want. Usually you can fix their growth to your liking after a few practice battles.

In conclusion: it's a good idea to look at how other games did it and get inspired.

Somehow it feels like something's missing, but I hope this was enough.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:58:03 PM by Redd »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 05:56:36 PM »
I'm always interested in others' opinions on stat balancing, as it's the most difficult task in game design for me.
I agree with you. One of the most difficult tasks is balancing. I wonder how people do it.
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »
I agree with you. One of the most difficult tasks is balancing. I wonder how people do it.
*points at previous post*

• What stats am I going to use?
  • How will I calculate the damage with them?
  • What is the most suitable growth formula?
  • Does it work?
Edit: So far the progress is smooth, I'm up for spells and skills next  :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:42:26 PM by Redd »

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »
http://games.chirei.net/gigan/WIP2.mov

Numbers for damage, item usage and defending added.