Topic:   UntitledGame Feedback Thread   (Read 18062 times)

Redd

• GMG-er

• Silent, but very, very deadly.
Re: UntitledGame Feedback Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »
This may not be the best quality out there, but here's a WIP video (accidentally deleted).

Thankfully I have almost a whole day working on this tomorrow~ :3
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:27:01 AM by Redd »

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 03:56:07 PM »
Looking good
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »
Equanox, I retract my semi-apology.

Game looks sweet, did you make the backgrounds?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:06:31 PM by WarHampster »

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 05:05:15 PM »
Yeah, all thanks to Photoshop and some special brushes that helped make things more realistic.

:D

I'll try uploading a better video soon. Hopefully the menu will be done by then.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »
I'm incredibly impressed with the pseudo parallax scrolling, everything looks very crisp for non-pixel art.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »
for anyone listening start out simple, the goal is to produce content have something to show for you time and effort. write out the story and events first and break it down to something reasonable, then make the graphics then put it all together
You know I think you've just hit the nail on the head there, and in a slightly unintended way too.

I keep working on the engine before I come up with any solid story or event list, and indeed, half the time I don't plan on including a story at all. Well no more I say! This "free roaming" thing doesn't work for me. I'm gonna get crackin' on a fluid event based storyline before returning to the engine of Epicus II.

Silver just wants to complete another game!

I disagree, once you get the hang of game-making it's an excellent idea to experiment with new languages, methods of implementing engines, and game formats. Even if you don't finish the project, you'll have learned a lot about game design for that genre. I put together an MMO engine which was never finished, but now I got all sorts of ideas for what kind of game to make using what I learned. Experimentation is key to learning, without it your skills are static.
Yeah, experimenting with various engines (in my case writing different GM engines) has been a huge part of the enjoyment I've received from game design. The jump from pencil and paper to computers was the most thrilling and rewarding.

I'm at a stage now where I really just wanna play my own awesomely cool RPG though, so all I care about for the present is finishing one, hehe...

Equanox, I retract my semi-apology.
*reads earlier posts* What, what?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:07:54 PM by Silverwind »
I survived the spammage of 2007

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 12:14:49 AM »
*reads earlier posts* What, what?
I believe he is referring to his apology in the forum thread "Eh?"
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Teruri

• GMG-er

• This personal text couldn\'t be worse
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 01:49:21 AM »
Well done, Redd! It looks very nice.
I'm still looking forward to seeing more, especially a battle (I would like to know how the placement of the party would effect the battle).
Max 500; characters remaining: 466

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Well done, Redd! It looks very nice.
I'm still looking forward to seeing more, especially a battle (I would like to know how the placement of the party would effect the battle).

I'm still fleshing out the battle engine on paper at this time; the basics are done and all, but I need to experiment with more ideas to make it feel organic as possible.

Right now the party/character code need some fixing as it's hard to get the data I need into the menu.

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »
once you get the hang of game-making it's an excellent idea to experiment with new languages.
i agree, but thats my point, is people never get the hang of game making before they move on

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 03:40:24 PM »
Just spent about three hours fixing the character and party classes.

Improvements:
- Creating new characters by code takes just one line.
- Other classes/interfaces can access information easily.
- Leveling up works like a charm.
- Stat growth is different every time a new game is played (more replay value?).
- There's no need to declare values for equipment other than the name or index, data is stored in a small database.

Downside:
- Need to recode the menu from scratch as it's too dependent on the old classes to fix properly.

Screenie:

Next is the inventory class and item control, and adding that to the menu.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »
Wow your party is seriously injured.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 06:50:58 PM »
How many stats are you boasting per character? (gameplay wise, not interface related)
I survived the spammage of 2007

Redd

• GMG-er

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »
Wow your party is seriously injured.
Oops- forgot to update the HP there. XD
Fixed!

How many stats are you boasting per character? (gameplay wise, not interface related)
I'll just go ahead and list the properties in each class:

Character: Name, Level, XP, HP, MP, ATT, PDF, MAG, MDF, SPD, LUK, AIL (ailment).
Weapon: Level, Name, Power.
Equipment: Head, Body, Shield, Accessory.

Technically the player will be able to see everything in the stats option (which I mistyped as "Skill" in the last picture).

Just in case you're looking for their functionality:

- ATT / PDF are the physical strength and endurance, armor and weapon power included in the damage equations.

- MAG / MDF are the magic strength and endurance.

- SPD determines how often a character moves per turn. It is calculated by comparing all values to the lowest and forming a turn table.

- LUK affects bonuses: Critical hits, evasion and all that.

That's what I have so far, I'm still contemplating how to turn these into a good equation. :-/

EqwanoX

• Administrator

• GMG Extraordinaire

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 09:45:15 AM »
finally saw video on a windows computer (my mac is still running 10.3 so its not compatable with.......   anything)

graphics and backgrounds are amazing,as are the walk animation and menu. im interested in how the tactics aspect is gonna work, are enemies going to randomly spawn on the baord whena battle is initiated? cause thats not a bad idea
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:49:42 AM by EqwanoX »