Topic:   WarHampster's Game   (Read 25407 times)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

Re: WarHampster's Game
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2008, 09:24:54 PM »
I already had started making one in vb.net and I just have to say: "IT IS HARD!"
Maybe it will be a bit easier in Sc than vb.net mainly because I don't really know the string commands too well, but still. It's gonna be a challenge.

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »
What would be the point of making a SC code editor that only runs on PCs? When I have some time I'll see how hard it would be to make one in cocoa.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 09:30:31 PM by WarHampster »

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »
Well...  It's not exactly a Sc editor... *Closes mouth and leaves with just that thought hanging in the air* ...no secrets hidden here...

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2008, 11:36:03 PM »
Lol, so thats what you're working on... you have a lot of projects going on at the same time :P

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

• For the glory of my maker
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 04:20:27 PM »
I tried making a separate app to display text for that arena style Group Project, but it proved more daunting than I thought. It shouldn't be too difficult however, just boring.
I survived the spammage of 2007

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
I've been running some tests, and I think that it could work. The problem would be making sure that the pop up window doesn't go on top of the game window, but this could be fixed by writing some code that saves the coordinates of the game window in the variable text file, which is then read by the pop up window. The pop up window would then need some code to position itself away from the main window.  

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »
Wow, I didn't know SC could do that. That's pretty cool. :)

Gan

• Administrator

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »
Whoa really? Grr. If I would of known that, Athoria might have been finished. I was having this problem with one of my far back games....

-Gandolf

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »
Lol. Try playing with the WINDOWTOP and WINDOWLEFT functions. There's even a WINDOWWIDTH and WINDOWHEIGHT, but they are unfortunately constants.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:39:43 PM by WarHampster »

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 03:27:16 PM »
_-_-_-LOL UPDATE_-_-_-

Here's a list of things that are done:

Noon character sprites done/ animated/ working

Steel Empire character sprites done/ animated/ working

Unnamed place character sprites done/ animated/ working

General movement engine (for walking around in the main world) done/ working

Other stuff: I'm experimenting with making a inventory system in C that will connect to the compiled SC game through a text file... if the file system is fast enough then this would make inventory programming very easy because C obviously has native support for arrays (which have to be faked for SC inventories).

Battle engine: I'd say it's about one third done.

Maps/ levels: I'm hand drawing these. I've started making some special intro levels for al the characters that will be part playable part cut-scenes. When I'm done with those I'll start making the game world.

Mystor

• GMG-er

• I am the myst that consumes us all.
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 07:38:31 PM »
A plain simple editor the color codes and indents the syntax for me.
Also a language that is very flexible with lots of features such as arrays, and everything vb.net has.

Having to do everything manually and going around road blocks unmotivates me when I could do it instantly in vb.net.

-Gandolf
Same here.

NOTHING beats a good text editor like Smultron (Free, I am using it nowadays) or Textmate(I have heard that it is awesome but have not bought it, is it worth it?)

Mist
"I'll lie to him."
"And if that doesn't work?"
"Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that, in emergencies. We can't plan for everything, you know."
   -Colonel Graff, Ender&

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »
_-_-_-LOL UPDATE_-_-_-

The engine uses a tile based nav system (think the v6 engine) for a fast paced, while strategic, type of battle. Before your character's turn, you select the movements to take (basically you highlight the tiles on the path your character will take). The AI then takes it's move. Finally, the battle begins in real-time, you and your enemy have 11 seconds to battle it out from your current positions (your character can only move within a small area around his current position in this phase).  

What I bolded is now done.. I've finished my tile engine (which is not the same thing as the current SC tile nav... it's a lot easier to make maps with it), the highlighting of tiles, and then your character's movement along the highlighted path (it even shows your character's walking animation while the sprite is moving :))

While making the tile engine, I kept AI in mind. It will be relatively simple to set up pathfinding and other AI functions using my engine.

Tireas Dragon

• GMG Extraordinaire

• Trying to recover from my shattered screen.
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 12:27:21 AM »
So let me get this straight. You tell you guy what to do then you see it done in real time? Like a movie?
I must be dreaming (wake up me wake up) How could this have happened. Tireas' cry when he found his computer fallen over in his chair with it's screen shattered.

Silverwind

• ^ This guy is amazing.

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 02:55:22 AM »
That sounds awesome! :D Can't wait to play it.

WarHampster

• GMG Extraordinaire

• The People's Moderator
    • Arcade of the Absurd
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »
So let me get this straight. You tell you guy what to do then you see it done in real time? Like a movie?

You click to use a long ranged weapon and hit the spacebar (i might change that) to use a melee weapon. If you're going to use a potion or other item, you better get behind cover. All that happens while you and you enemies are moving around in real time.